My Cat Gets Along with Noone

ringmaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but have an ongoing problem. I have a cat that literally gets along with none of my other pets (well maybe my turtle but that might by because he's in a tank). My family and I live in a split home (meaning that while the two houses are connected it is basically two separate homes in one).

The story is a lengthy one so please make yourselves comfy.

I have had my cat, Charlie for about 13 years now and she has always had trouble with other pets. Though she somewhat tolerates my dogs she would still attack whenever given the chance. I had to move and she remained with my mother for about 3 months. During her absence my live in girlfriend picked up a stray, Rambo, and he has been with us ever since. I have since bought that split house I mentioned earlier and had my parents move up here along with Charlie. Upon her arrival we have tried on several occasions to get them together but with no avail as Charlie will just hiss loudly and run off. I am a bit worried of them seriously hurting each other (although Rambo has seemed to be quite passive with each encounter) and have therefore not continued to try and put them together.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how I can get them to get along without risking a serious injury for either one of them?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I would not try at this point - she's 13 yrs old. If she doesn't get along with other cats/dogs, then why force her?

Some cats perfer to be the ONLY cat no matter what you'd want. So just let her be and when she passes on, then get 2 kittens, or whatever you want. I've had to place several cats as "only" cats cause they just wanted to be that way and not share the house with other cats/dogs. Nothing wrong with that.

Respect her wishes to be "top" cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ringmaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have been in the same house for about 4 months now

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's trying to tell you she wants to be the only cat - please respect that. Try to find a home for the younger one as soon as you can.

ringmaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry but its not as easy as "just getting rid" of one of them, they are both great cats and my family loves each of them individually, I have seen several tips throughout this site that I will attempt, but I was wondering if there was anything else.

Furthermore Charlie does not like being in my part of the house and has decided to stay in my parents' living room. Every time I bring her into my section, I place Rambo in a large cage, and carry her over. She will act uneasy and run out. Admittedley, she has gotten better after several attempts but rarely stays with me for long. Will this ever change?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ringmaster

They have been in the same house for about 4 months now
If this was just the new cat she was having issues with, I would suggest giving them time to get used to one another. It can take quite a while for cats to learn to tolerate other cats. You did say she just hisses at the new guy and hasn't actually fought? Then I would suggest Feliway and lots of patience.

However, since you said your older girl, Charlie, does not like the dogs or any other animals, it may be that she needs to be top banana in order to feel comfy. Many cats are this way.

Is there any way one cat can stay on your parent's side?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry but its not as easy as "just getting rid" of one of them, they are both great cats and my family loves each of them individually, I have seen several tips throughout this site that I will attempt, but I was wondering if there was anything else.

Furthermore Charlie does not like being in my part of the house and has decided to stay in my parents' living room. Every time I bring her into my section, I place Rambo in a large cage, and carry her over. She will act uneasy and run out. Admittedley, she has gotten better after several attempts but rarely stays with me for long. Will this ever change?
Has there been any actual fighting? Hissing is not harmful, I believe is is just their way of saying "back off".

It sounds like Charlie may have already chosen to stay with your parents. Over time she may come to some type of truce with Rambo and feel more comfy moving between the two places.

I am sure other more knowledgeable people will come along soon. Sorry I can't be of lots of help. I can offer you lots of good luck though

ringmaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your help is greatly appreciated. I understand that she has chosen my parents living area, but she still cries at my door to "come over". She has been my cat for years, but unfortunetly other than switching living areas ::an option I'd rather not consider:: I was short of ideas.....I read in another topic that there is some kind of cat air freshner thing..(my cat terminology needs work, I know)to prevent cat scents from affecting cats, do you think that would help?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Your help is greatly appreciated. I understand that she has chosen my parents living area, but she still cries at my door to "come over". She has been my cat for years, but unfortunetly other than switching living areas ::an option I'd rather not consider:: I was short of ideas.....I read in another topic that there is some kind of cat air freshner thing..(my cat terminology needs work, I know)to prevent cat scents from affecting cats, do you think that would help?
That is Feliway diffuser. It is rather expensive but it does a great job with calming cats. You can google Feliway. Buying it online is much cheaper than in the stores. There are other herbal things you can do as well, but I am not "up" on those. Please do keep us up to date on what happens

ringmaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will do and once again, thank you so much for your help

ringmaster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the link, well they met while they were still in the travel cages. Then we went into one of the bedrooms and they were both allowed to roam freely. Everytime Rambo would advance, Charlie would hiss, at which point Rambo would sit doen and begin meowing softly. This continued for a few minutes.

That was their first meeting, once we had everything arranged, Charlie would refuse to go down to my living area. Whenever I would carry her to it she would be very aggressive and after a few minutes would ask to go back to the other living area. It's because of that added aggressiveness that I have not tried to put them together again.