Tartar

butterfleye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I was just wandering if any one had any advice of Tartar.
Both of my two 13 year olds have had teeth taken out (only in last couple of years, on time each), but I have noticed that my little Girl does have some plaque on a couple of her teeth, I brush their teeth and they have Royal Canin Oral Sensitive dry food, but I was interested to know if any one had ever tired the Homoeopathis Remedy Fragaria 3C?.
There is a company in the UK called Dorwest Herbs and they recommend giving one tablet eveyday for upto 30 days to soften any existing tartar and then one a week to keep as a preventative.
Has any one ever tried this?, there's also another product that I've seen advertised call 'PlaqueOff' which contains only a specially selected Seaweed has any one ever tried this?.

Obviously I'd prefer to try and keep the plaque at bay myself rather than have to have them under go regular teeth cleening at the Vets especially now that they are getting older, but trying them with something new, especially something brough 'over the counter' always makes me worry if I giving them the right thing.

Thanks,

Butterfleye.

empire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested a 'Scaling" in office, takes about 10 minutes & costs about 10 dollars.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Logic Oral Hygiene gel - it is an enzimatic plaque reducer, sold only in the UK.

I got some and it works really well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a raw diet it has improved the dental issues ...

But I would talk to your vet as they may suggest cet type chews or something like the logic gel")

empire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd like to think about the raw diet & the gel. Do you just ease into the raw diet slowly?? Can you still feed cans?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by empire

My vet suggested a 'Scaling" in office, takes about 10 minutes & costs about 10 dollars.
That should only be done if they also have regular (every couple of years or yearly?) dental cleanings, as scaling does not clean below the gumline and the vet really can't check for problems, like FORL (Feline Odontoclastic Absorptive Lesions).

This is the position of the American Veterinary Dental College on scaling.
http://www.avdc.org/position-statements.html#cadswa

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the prevention of dental disease is one of the primary benefits of a raw (whole prey) diet. Gnawing on those raw meaty bones does wonders for eliminating tartar from your kitty's teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butterfleye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I already use the Logic Gel but haven't really noticed an difference.
I've just started using it with a Muslin cloth instead of a baby's toothbrush though as Cleo really doesn't like having a toothbrush put into her mouth and the cloth is seeming to be a better choice.
I'm considering buying the Dorwest Herbs 'Roast Dinner' toothpaste to use with both Cats and our two Dogs.
The Fragaria 3C seems like a good idea though, I just get nervous about giving them new stuff! and wondered if any one else had ever tried it.

Would giving them a little raw meat every now and then help?, it's something to do with the enzymes in the meat isn't it?.
How would I go about it though, I was thinking of buying some Fresh Organic Chicken Breasts from the supermarket (Tesco's), do I then just chop it up and give it to them?, is Chicken a good choice (salmonella wise) or would I be better buying another kind of meat to start with?.

Thanks,

Butterfleye.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the raw chicken thing with Odo, and it didn't really make any difference at all. While Odo doesn't exactly like having his teeth brushed, there are some toothbrushes that are easier than others. I like the little one C.E.T. offers. Also, if your cat already has tartar, the only way to remove it is with a professional dental cleaning (under anesthesia and everything). Brushing and using other remedies can remove the plaque, but tartar is plaque that has hardened, and it cannot be removed effectively unless the cat is anesthetized. My goal in brushing Odo's teeth has been to get in the habit so that once his teeth are cleaned in the next week or so, any that he has left (I'm betting he'll need some extractions) will stay clean much longer.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took Sophia to the Vet for a check up today and the Vet said she had tartar and gingivitis and she told me about this new product that has only been in the US for 8 months, you spray this in their mouth, and it's an alternative to a dental cleaning...BUT they forgot to give it to me so I don't know the name of it I have to go pick it up on Monday

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I just took Sophia to the Vet for a check up today and the Vet said she had tartar and gingivitis and she told me about this new product that has only been in the US for 8 months, you spray this in their mouth, and it's an alternative to a dental cleaning...BUT they forgot to give it to me so I don't know the name of it I have to go pick it up on Monday
I'd be VERY interested in finding out what this product is. I use C.E.T. toothpaste on Cleo, and she seems to like it well enough. Maggie & Lola both hate it, so something else to try would be perfect!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I'd be VERY interested in finding out what this product is. I use C.E.T. toothpaste on Cleo, and she seems to like it well enough. Maggie & Lola both hate it, so something else to try would be perfect!
I will call Monday and ask them and then post the name, she said it was in Canada and is now here in the states.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Have you tried different flavors of C.E.T.? I know they have several (Malt, Vanilla-Mint, Beef, Poultry, and Seafood). C.E.T. also has some rinses--my parents use Aquadent for their dog. Again, these things can prevent plaque from forming but they won't help existing tartar.

http://www.cetdental.com/rinsing_products.asp

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet only carries the C.E.T. toothpaste. I think poultry, malt and seafood. I buy the poultry. Actually, all three girls LOVE the taste....they lick it off my fingers. Cleo will let me brush her teeth with the paste on my finger, and I've seen great improvement in her gum condition and plaque with just this. Maggie and Lola don't let me mess with their mouths at all, so I just let them lick a little dab off my finger each day. I didn't see a place to purchase on the C.E.T. website. I wonder how I could go about purchasing the rinse or gel....or if I should just ask my vet to order it for me?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Okay I am back from the Vet, and the product is called LEBA III, they claim they have had much success with it, I cannot vouch for that as of yet because I just got it.
http://www.lebalab.com/
Please post back in a few weeks and let us know what you think of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butterfleye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the link and info on the Leba III Bella713, it looks interesting, I sure would be a lot easier using a spray, I doubt it would be available in the UK yet though, I'll have to ask my Vet.
We're due for a trip to the Vet soon, so that Peace and Cleo can both have MOT's, so I'll have a word with the Vet then, I'll asking him what he thinks about the Fragaria 3C too, if he thinks it will be safe enough to give them both it might be worth a try.
Cleo onl has a little Tartar on a couple of her teeth, I just mainly want to prevent it from getting to the stage where she would need to have them cleaned by the Vet.
How often do you (anyone!) clean your Cat(s) teeth?.

Thanks,

Butterfleye.