Cat likes to walk on dinner table

davido53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bought a new dark walnut table and discovered cat prints on it...the lil stinker probably has been doing this for years but we couldn't see the paw prints, now we can...

We never have any food there so he never finds anything.

Any idea how I can keep him from repeating this behavior?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you probably don't want tape on your new table, I would use a large piece of cardboard...put double sided tape on the top of it. Cats don't like to walk on sticky stuff. That might deter future table visits.

Generally, cats don't like walking on aluminum foil either. That's another idea.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is the MOST stubborn cat - he doesn't want to take NO for an answer when getting on the table. I might try that cardboard/tape trick soon!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could keep a tablecloth on your supper table when you don't have company / aren't using it. That way it won't get damaged, in general.

Trying to keep a cat off a table is mission impossible.

oceanroar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first cat used to love walking on tables and counters.
She also loves to sit on books or papers. Cats are weird.

Once, I had Thanksgiving dinner at my house, and someone took the turkey out and set it on the counter while getting ready for dinner... when we came back to get turkey to serve.. she had eaten half of it already.
Haha.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way I've managed to keep my cat off the kitchen counters and kitchen table is to always keep the kitchen door closed and never let her in there unless I'm around (and then telling her off every single time she goes on the places she's not allowed).

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oceanroar

My first cat used to love walking on tables and counters.
She also loves to sit on books or papers. Cats are weird.

Once, I had Thanksgiving dinner at my house, and someone took the turkey out and set it on the counter while getting ready for dinner... when we came back to get turkey to serve.. she had eaten half of it already.
Haha.
Oh no! Kitty had a great Thanksgiving that year

I don't even try to keep them off anything any longer. They win!

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Trying to keep a cat off a table is mission impossible.
Yup!
Good luck with this. Seriously its a losing battle. I was so embarrased on mother's day when my cats were seen on the kitchen island by the food. Nothing has ever worked for me besides a stern voice, and often that takes three attempts.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't bother with that, unless we have company over for food. In that case, I put them in another room. I would be really embarrassed if they got into someone else's food.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Charlie is the MOST stubborn cat - he doesn't want to take NO for an answer when getting on the table. I might try that cardboard/tape trick soon!
I'm starting to think it's an Ocicat thing, not just Charlie. Sadie is also incredibly stubborn and just down-right naughty! She definitely understands the meaning of 'no', but she choose when she wants to understand it.

I've actually tried the cardboard and tape trick. Instead of deterrring Sadie, the little stinker, chewed off the tape and destroyed the cardboard. It's a good thing she's so darn cute, cuz she's too naughty for her own good sometimes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Must be the "oci thing" - cause Charlie likes chewing the wrapping tape - I had to spray it with Bitter Apple for him to leave it alone.

He usually does the table thing when I'm working at home - so it may be "mom, give me attention right now". He knows better, when he jumps up he then just gives me this pitiful look and flattens out on the table; so I keep pushing him off to the floor and tell him NO.

Eventually he gets tired of being pushed or picked up and tossed on the rug and goes to sleep on the sofa....then I can get my work done faster

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also a product that sprays air or water...not sure which you would have to look into that more. It's $30 and has a motion sensor to spray in a 360 degree radius. I saw it at a farm store and I believe I have seen it at Petco.