Those with both a cat and dog(s)?

bubblpopelectrc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you prevent your dogs from eating the cat's food (and messing with the litter box) and vice-versa?

I have two yorkshire terriers who have been known to LOVE my mom's cat's food, so I'm sure that'll be a problem with the new kitten's food.

Also, with the litter box, I'm sure they will mess with that. Any ideas for like a box or something that it can be put in (something that'll look good- I'm in to good home decor/design)?

Any suggestions?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep our litter box in a corner with a puppy play pen around it... some dogs would be able to jump the pen though, mine just haven't figured it out.
As for the food, I keep half of the bowls behind a cabinet/wall thing that my boyfriend built and the other half up on top of a dresser... the cats can jump up there and eat but the dogs cannot.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my cat food is up on a dresser where my short dog can't reach
and I'm incredibly lucky that he doesn't like "kitty krispies"
but the booda dome litterboxes are designed so that a dog can't get into them

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep Miagi and Tiger's dishes on top of the dryer that way they can't get to it.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats on the counter. As for getting in the litter boxes I guess my dog got in trouble enough she doesn't do it anymore.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention about the litter boxes.. we put a chair by it that way the dogs can't get to it. Buster really is the only one that has been guilty of getting into the litter boxes.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i havw rubbermaids with lids and holes cut in the top fo the kitties. keeps the dogs out.

And the cat food is up out of the dog reach.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a lab with the cats. Litter box is no problem, nor the food. The cats eat on the counter in the basement and the litter box is by washer/dryer.

The dog has been trained NOT to go in that room. And she doesn't! Even if her ball/toys get into the other room she will stand there and whine for you to go get them - she won't step foot over the line

Now I suggest you put the cat's food on a counter or table where the dog cannot get. As for the litter box, someone made a wooden box with several openings - one on top where the cat had to jump down to get to the box and another door that you can remove the litter pan for cleaning.

Since yorkies are the size of cats, you can't just get a covered pan cause the dog can go in there too.

Unless, of course, you train the dog to never go in the room like Keno's trained

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed 2 cats on the dining room table. One on the kitchen floor, but her food is picked up immediately when she's done eating. I feed the other 3 cats downstairs where the dogs aren't allowed unsupervised.

As for LBs....I have one large Rubbermaid tub upstairs with a "pretty" chair barrier around it when the dogs are unsupervised. Downstairs I've got Rubbermaid totes(18 gals) with holes cut in the lids.

ETA: Mine aren't too keen on inside kitty krunchies. They each tried to snag one once....but someone had laced the poo with Bitter Apple!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep the litter box and her food dish under the sink for one cat, she opens the door by herself to get in.

The other cat's litter box is downstairs and her food dish in on the stairs.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep food bowls up on countertops. For litter crunchies, the best protection that I have is large wood covers with a hole on one end, and enough room in the box so that if a dog sticks his head in there, the litter box is on the other end of the cover. I have large dogs, so they can't stoop and stick their necks out that far. For the most part, my dogs leave the boxes alone as we've trained them not to, but temptation does strike them from time to time. They were horrible as puppies and we gated the litter boxes off until they were older and under better control.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have built a small room that goes into my garage with a cat door to it. The room houses both food and the litter box..It was the best thing I did...Keeps the dogs out of there..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubblpopelectrc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

After doing some searching, I found some really neat wooden litter box covers.. to bad they are so expensive! If only I was handy and I could just make it myself.
Maybe I can come up with something similar.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How sensitive are your pups? My dog is very sensitive to harsh words. All I have ever had to do is yell at the food bowls and litterbox and she knew that they were bad news! I know it sounds crazy, but after Ebony came home I would get down on the floor beside the cat dish and litter box and slap the floor and tell the food and litter how BAD it was.

As you can see she never bothers the kitties when they eat no matter where the cats are eating...

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister has 2 cats and a dog. At her first house the litterboxes were in the basement and the food dishes were on the landing and the basement door was mostly closed. Jinx (the dog) isn't the brightest bulb, and for some reason this stopped her because she couldn't fit her body through and wouldn't try to open the door wider (don't ask me; she's strange). When they all moved to my Mom's house, they were still kept in the basement and the basement door was kept wide open, and Jinx just wouldn't cross the threshold. In her current house, they are again in the basement, but there's a cat door in the basement door (because the basement door would be in the way if it was kept open all the time). The cats weren't that happy when they discovered the cat door, but they're used to it now. All the animals drink out of the same water bowl (the dog's) because the cats refused to drink out of their own water bowl so she stopped filling it up.

Tricia

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats food dishes are on the kitchen table,too high for our pup and the litterbox is a covered one,too small for the dog to get in.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BubblPopElectrc

How do you prevent your dogs from eating the cat's food (and messing with the litter box) and vice-versa?

I have two yorkshire terriers who have been known to LOVE my mom's cat's food, so I'm sure that'll be a problem with the new kitten's food.

Also, with the litter box, I'm sure they will mess with that. Any ideas for like a box or something that it can be put in (something that'll look good- I'm in to good home decor/design)?

Any suggestions?
Like many others I feed the kitties on the counter top. As far as Jake and the litterbox, he's usually pretty good about staying out of it but occasionaly I have to tell him "NO".. but it's rare anymore....

I think almost all dogs this cat poop is a gourmet treat

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BubblPopElectrc

Any suggestions?
Like many others I feed the kitties on the counter top. As far as Jake and the litterbox, he's usually pretty good about staying out of it but occasionaly I have to tell him "NO".. but it's rare anymore....

I think almost all dogs think cat poop is a gourmet treat