Need some book recommendations...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I have had enough lol! I have so much downtime at work that I decided I want to start reading books (im drawing a blank when it comes to surfing the net since I have done it daily for 2 years)... I need to expand my mind and I am hoping you guys can give me some recommendations! Im mainly into romance-comedy (nothing to over the top in the romance note), romance - mystery, mystery, horror, etc... You get the jist of it! I need authors and books well worth the read
Help please

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
have you ever read any Nora Roberts? she is excellent and her books are romance- something, i like her mystery ones the best
Jennifer Crusie is great for romance comedies, and Kristen Hannah writes great romance-tear jerkers.... I need to gt back into reading myself, after next week, all my TV shows are over, so maybe I'll start then

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks ladies... I knew Nora Roberts was to be a suggestion (alot of people are really into her) I haven't read any of her books! Any recommendations?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson are my top 2 right now. Jame Patterson has a Women's Murder Club series that I am addicted too. I just finished the last one. There are 6 total right now. And Patricia Cornwell has her Kay Scarpetta series that is really good too. Currently I am reading a Mariah Stewart novel called Dark Truth. Very good books!

BTW they are all murder mystery with a little romance thrown in there. If you want I can send you a few. I havea ton of their books that I am done with and everyone I know that wanted to read them is done with. OM me if you want them!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, check out Karin Slaughter - she writes some really good fictional crime books.

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

Also if you like True Crime books, Ann Rule is really good (any of her books). There is also another book, I have it at home that is REALLY REALLY good about a family of abuse, incest, and other sick and twisted anti-normal society. The younger kids all wound up in foster care.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you would enjoy Lilian Jackson Braun, she writes light mystery books with her main characters Koko and Yum-Yum both cats and their owner Qwillian. I've forgotten his first name. The books are great. She has a series going back some years.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne Rule is good stuff... Im bored out of my mind at work and need some material that won't bore me and put me to sleep! I like some vampire and goth horror as well!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adriana Trigiani, is a really great author...My favorite book of hers is "Lucia, Lucia"
All of her books are really good...and like Katie said Jennifer Cruisie books are great and funny too.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Thanks ladies... I knew Nora Roberts was to be a suggestion (alot of people are really into her) I haven't read any of her books! Any recommendations?
I recently read a series of her's that was about time travel and vampires and I can't remember the name!!! urg!! it was excellent though, any help? anyone know what I'm talking about?

Jennifer Cruisie is hilarious!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend Janet Evanovich books. She has a series based on a bungling bounty hunter who really is learning on the job. She has a gun toting, outspoken Grandma who loves to go to funerals of people she doesn't know. There is a love triangle, kidnapping, stalking, and lots of comedy! They are great, honestly. They are numbered..I think the last one is 13?

She has another series but I haven't started that one yet, but I'm guessing it is about the same.

Definitely check her out!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I would recommend Janet Evanovich books. She has a series based on a bungling bounty hunter who really is learning on the job. She has a gun toting, outspoken Grandma who loves to go to funerals of people she doesn't know. There is a love triangle, kidnapping, stalking, and lots of comedy! They are great, honestly. They are numbered..I think the last one is 13?

She has another series but I haven't started that one yet, but I'm guessing it is about the same.

Definitely check her out!
Oh Yeah I forgot about her...I 2nd this, her books are hilarious too

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the Rita Mae Brown with Sneaky Pie Brown mysteries. (Sneaky Pie is her tabby cat)
They are very light and readable...plus three main characters are Mrs Murphy - a tabby, Pewter - a fat grey cat, and Tucker - a corgi. They help out Mom with the msyteries and have their own diaglogue! The comments they make about humans are very funny!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

the In Death series is my favorite - the 1st one is Naked in Death & the most recent is Innocent in Death. near-future police procedurals w/romance added. written as J.D.Robb. complete listing here.
i also like Roberta Gellis for romance, but she's not written much in a while.
James Patterson is also one of my favorite mystery writers.
gosh, i can't remember any others - my mind's a blank right now!

ETA: Shirley Rosseau Murphy's books - love them all!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I recently read a series of her's that was about time travel and vampires and I can't remember the name!!! urg!! it was excellent though, any help? anyone know what I'm talking about?

Jennifer Cruisie is hilarious!!
yep, that's the Circle Trilogy, aka the Electrifying Trilogy.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I made my decision! Im starting with The Witching Hour series by Anne Rice... Followed by The Vampire Chronicles! My mom loves Anne Rice and since she has all of her books she gave me the series to start with! What did you guys think of the Chronicles and the Series? I'm currently reading Heather Graham The Presence... not a huge fan but once I start a book I make sure to finish it! Well I think I have some reading material to keep me busy for quite some time now!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read fantasy. Tanya Huff is a Canadian writer. She has a series that I find amusing with a hint of romance. One of the main characters is a talking cat with major catitude. The 1st book in the series is called "Summon the Keeper" and the 2nd book is called "the Second Summoning". both are excellent (especially since you like cats). Here is a link to the 1st book http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books...77845-item.html?ref=Search+Books:+'tanya+huff'

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will have to check that out! I have been slacking on The Witching Hour something severe because it always makes me sleepy at work, plus it takes Anne Rice 10 pages to describe a building!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a nice quick and easy read at work - something not to heavy yet entertaining. I read a lot of fantasy, much of it with strong female leads. I have read a few where cats are main characters as well. Tanya Huff I love, her work spans a lot of different moods (and is often set in Canada). She has a whole vampire series as well that I really enjoyed.

Tad Williams has an excellent cat fantasy book called Tailchaser's Song - brilliant.