Marking pets graves

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is sort of a depressing thread. At the other house when the cats were buried id make little fences and things out of twigs and sticks for them (i was much younger) but the whole back yard was a grassy area so it just kept growing back and eventually they werent marked anymore, even though we knew they were there. Jazzy has been buried in our flower garden which is all dirt and bark, and ive been spending the week looking for something to put there. This is what i found just a couple of hours ago, do you think it is suitable? I thought if i made a plaque the paint would eventually wear off.

Theres actually something im really worried about, and for those of you who are sensitive, please do not read. The clay was really hard, and we only managed to make the hole about a foot and a bit deep, ive read you're meant to make it really deep, but mum didnt want her in the garden far from the house. We all agree that we hate this house, and that mum and dad want to move in a year or two. Im worried that because the grave isnt very deep, that if we move the new people might dig the garden up or plant something there and they cant, but they wont know about Jasmine, what do i do? Its been a week, we cannot move her, we wrapped her in a towel. I dont want to bring this up to my parents as it is too sad and morbid. But im so worried. I dont know if maybe when i move i put a marker with her name on it or leave something there that is obvious? I might move out of home before mum and dad and then what do i do??

The main thread was actually to be about what do you guys do for your beloved animals. Do you mark it, dont mark it or only have it marked for a while till grass grows? Im sorry =\\ i dont know where this thread should go

I know ive been talking about it so much, im finding it really hard too deal with. Just when i think im ok i feel bad for laughing at something funny or i start crying. Im sorry im carrying on so much

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe her grave would be left alone if you plant a tree very near, or put a large stone (that can't be lifted easily) on her grave.

It's always been different for me; different kitties in different places. I visited two of my dear RB kitties in Austin two years ago. I had buried them ten and eleven years before, and it was still very difficult.

Hugs to you.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two of our babies are buried under the forsythia in our back yard. Sooner or later we will move, and by then digging them up won't really be an option -- it's now been eight years and will likely be at least a couple more, so I know when we leave this place, we won't be able to take them with us. What I plan to do is get a couple of nice urns and put some soil in them from the burial sites.

I don't know if that's a useful thought for you...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I think SW's tree idea is perfect! It will help ensure that Jasmine will be undisturbed, and it's also just a lovely thought, that something living will serve as her marker. Choose something that's fast-growing, so it will establish itself quickly... and maybe you could put a little stone bench beside it, a place where you can sit when you want to talk with Jasmine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, I think SW's tree idea is perfect! It will help ensure that Jasmine will be undisturbed, and it's also just a lovely thought, that something living will serve as her marker. Choose something that's fast-growing, so it will establish itself quickly... and maybe you could put a little stone bench beside it, a place where you can sit when you want to talk with Jasmine.
There are already little shrubs and things in the garden, the closest one is only a few inches from her tail. There is no other room to plant other things, but im worried that people who move here will see this ptch of dirt and try to put something in, they cant because it is shallow. It might not be another year or two but unless i actually put a sign there saying 'please do not disturb' i cant do anything

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was trying to think of something to offer here, some idea.
but the idea, of find a large rock, to put on top of it, is the best thing i can think of. or a better a rock garden

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about some sort of decorative fountain or something? Make it semi-permanent?
My Sandy Paws is buried in one place with other cats & dogs. There are orange flags bordering three sides & the front has rocks all along it with their names.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry if it sounds like im ignoring your ideas, im not. Just kind of freaking out and thinking of which will work best

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could make a concrete type plaque in the ground. Pour, smooth it, and after it's set a little write her name, birthday-death and draw a little cat figure in it. This way no one finding it later will mistake it for something else. You may even find a metal cat shaped ornament to press into it.
Hopefully, even if it's removed later, no one will dig there.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After we got Sweety's ashes, I placed her in with a Magnolia tree, this way she would grow into another flower for us to remember for as long as possible. RIP Sweety....

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way to make sure she is undisturbed is to make it look like a grave. In my London garden I put an oblong stone block on top of a cat grave and planted small alpines at each end so it couldn't be taken for anything else. For Napoleon, I put a large upright stone, naturally shaped. I have just asked a guy here to help me dig over the corner where he is buried and I will plant it with white flowers, and stick in a plaque saying 'Napoleon's garden'. It is sad, it makes me cry again to think about it, but it is good to remember them like that.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheba is buried in a flower/shrub bed located by my garden shed. I have a dwarf conifer and a handpainted stone marking the spot. Year ago when we lost our dog he is buried somewhere near the back of the same building. Sierra and Tommie are buried fairly close by. I do have to redo that spot though-I want to put in a little fence and plant some catmint nearby.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my 17 yo dog died suddenly, I buried her in my backyard. I bought a stepping stone kit from Michaels and made a stone with a rainbow bridge on it, her name, a little picture of Bonnie's face and the birth/death years. I marked the grave with that.

Cally

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spooky is buried in my garden. I had an actual granite headstone made for her grave. It is engraved with "In loving memory of Spooky" and the dates. There's no mistaking what it is there for. In retrospect, I wish I had had her creamated. I will have a very difficult time ever leaving this house with her grave in the back yard.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is no room to plant a tree, putting in a plaque would be my suggestion. They can be pretty expensive, but you can make one for the fraction of the cost. You get get stepping stone molds on ebay for a few dollars and all you need is a bag of quickcrete. When the top is almost dry, write what you want on top. You could even put an image of a cat by using a cat shaped cookie cutter or something. Something made personally is a nice touch.

Or, another thought...could you put a bird bath on the site?

That statue you found is gorgeous. I would take that with you and plant a tree at your new house and put the statue at the base so your baby will always be in your thoughts.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the area isn't big enough or convenient to plant a tree or bush, then I think the idea of making a permanent marker in the ground is the best thing to do. If it is obvious that its a grave, they are less likely to disturb it.

Right now, Alley just has a rock with her name painted on it, but I plan to get a permanent engraved marker eventually. She is buried right next to, and sort of under, a large flowering bush in the yard though, so even if my parents moved, which I doubt they ever will, she isn't likely to be disturbed.

Maybe you could plant something like that?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our RB kitties have been cremated because I felt bad burying them and then when/if I move out, leaving them. I don't really have any good ideas on what to do, but there's plenty of others.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we knew our Bella (My baby) was going to die, so we were prepared, she is in a casket and she is in a tomb that my DH built into the ground, and also her casket is shrinkwrapped and then she was laid in there and a 70 lb top on it, so nothing can get to her, she is going to be buried with me so I wanted to make sure someone could get to her without problems...Now I know this isn't for everyone and also my other cats will not have the same thing.
Our Dog is just in a box and has a little marker with her name on it.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

If the area isn't big enough or convenient to plant a tree or bush, then I think the idea of making a permanent marker in the ground is the best thing to do. If it is obvious that its a grave, they are less likely to disturb it.

Right now, Alley just has a rock with her name painted on it, but I plan to get a permanent engraved marker eventually. She is buried right next to, and sort of under, a large flowering bush in the yard though, so even if my parents moved, which I doubt they ever will, she isn't likely to be disturbed.

Maybe you could plant something like that?
Paula...I LOVE THIS
Do you put fresh flowers on her grave or do you plant flowers there?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We buried 2 dogs in my parents yard. My dad made crossed for them and engraved their names into them. They are still there and it has been 6 years now. I am sure inton the wood will rot. A stone or something engraved with their name would be a good marker for someone to know that a pet was buried there.