the totally unexcusable.

oregon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On my way to work, along the road, over the past week I drove by three dead cats.
first off, it just make me sick becouse it was so freaking preventable.
secondly. I really hate this about some people. They seem to think that having a cat absolves them of resposabilities. They would not just turn out the family dog for the night. It's like they assume that a cat can read road signs. I mean...:censor::censor::censor:?
Or that it is disposable? You can always get another one? & assume the old one run away. Damn I hate some people.

It seems for somepeople having a cat doesn't mean you really have to care.
Jesus christ it ****** me off.

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is so awful. I wish there was some way of saving these cats from living with families like this. The fact that anyone would leave an innocent animal to fend for itself in dangerous conditions is mind boggling to me.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
R.I.P. sweet kitties!

Fortunately, around here, that doesn't happen too often. People here really love their pets. And the kitties that are let outside don't have much to worry about. For the most part, everyone around here is really nice and gentle with animals. I'll never forget what happened when I was about 8. I was walking home from school and I saw a cat run into the road and almost get hit by a car but the car swerved off the road and almost hit a fence. The first thing the guy said when he got out of the car is "oh my god is that cat OK?"

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I'll never forget what happened when I was about 8. I was walking home from school and I saw a cat run into the road and almost get hit by a car but the car swerved off the road and almost hit a fence. The first thing the guy said when he got out of the car is "oh my god is that cat OK?"
Sounds like something my husband would do, he even stops for toads.

I hate seeing any animal killed on the road. To certain species, such as box turtles, that do not reproduce quickly and already have a high mortality rate in their offspring, this is very damaging to populations.

But what can be done? Even when they make passage ways under roads, animals will go over instead. In the case of city and town streets it would be nice if people would slow down, maybe even consider going the legal speed limit... one of these times it won't be a cat or dog running out in front of them, it will be a child.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think ive seen someone elses dead kitty every here, or at the other house. Up around Tristans though you see kangaroos, wombats, possums and more =(

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

one of these times it won't be a cat or dog running out in front of them, it will be a child.
Yep. Sooner or later it's going to happen. And it's not like it's that hard of a decision. "Hmm. Run over a kid and be charged with vehicular manslaughter or slow down and take an extra 5 minutes to get to work?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oregon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(BTW TigerOnTheProwl I loved your story "I was walking home from school and I saw a cat run into the road and almost get hit by a car but the car swerved off the road and almost hit a fence. The first thing the guy said when he got out of the car is "oh my god is that cat OK?"
")

I think that culturally, espcially now in this country we see some creatures as being not as valuable, or at least not as worth caring for.
Even in movies and tv series, usually the cat is made fun of at his/her expenses. or be pictured as a creature that either get what "it deserves" or is easly disposable.

It just really botherd me to see this very beautiful tabby dead on the road.
I hope whoever did that get some case of evil ass karma to last them.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It kills me how little people care about their pets. And now that I've moved, I've noticed it a lot more here than in NY. (Of course it happens in NY too, I just see it more here) And dogs too. In my small neighborhood alone there are 2, maybe 3, cats that wander around all the time along with at least one group of 5 dogs. Then there's the new people that moved in that let their dog roam and have found him in my other neighbor's backyard more than once. Also the neighbor that lives a few doors down who keeps his dog chained outside on a 3' rope without water - IN FLORIDA!

I've never called the 'animal cops' (whatever theyre called here
) on them, but other's have. They stopped at my house to ask what I knew and I told them everything. Haven't seen the 5pack around since... hoping they're indoors now.

The first thing I did when I bought a house was fence in the backyard for the dogs. Apparently that's unheard of around here.

It's like when I first moved here and asked what you do with your pets during a storm, hoping someone would tell me there was a pet shelter. What was I told? "Put out a bag of food and pray". WHAT?!?! How unfeeling do you have to be to actually utter those words?! It's amazing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

It's like when I first moved here and asked what you do with your pets during a storm, hoping someone would tell me there was a pet shelter. What was I told? "Put out a bag of food and pray". WHAT?!?! How unfeeling do you have to be to actually utter those words?! It's amazing.
It is sad that the community shelters that they ask people to evacuate to do not usually allow pets. I do understand it's a liability issue as well as space being a problem. Obviously you'd have to have your dogs in a large carrier/crate, muzzle it if taken out, and have vaccination records to at least safely make that work in a public situation.

Setting up a separate one for pets alone would require public interest and involvement. If there's any pet parades/days there, maybe you should ask around for any groups that would be willing to help you with working out a animal evacuation plan?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is sad that the community shelters that they ask people to evacuate to do not usually allow pets. I do understand it's a liability issue as well as space being a problem. Obviously you'd have to have your dogs in a large carrier/crate, muzzle it if taken out, and have vaccination records to at least safely make that work in a public situation.

Setting up a separate one for pets alone would require public interest and involvement. If there's any pet parades/days there, maybe you should ask around for any groups that would be willing to help you with working out a animal evacuation plan?
Well, after I was told this, I found out they do have shelters here where you can take your pets. They have to be crated, and you have to register for them by... I think it's April? Maybe May? For hurricane frances and jeanne they opened the local greyhound racetrack kennels as an animal shelter, you just had to keep your pets crated and they didn't require registration. After Katrina when they saw how many people wouldn't leave because they wouldn't leave their pets alone, they stepped up and opened even more of them. But it drove me insane because the shelter/greyhound park was there to use and STILL people we're using the old 'leave food and pray' method.

Personally, I don't care if I have to toss all the kids into my teeny car and drive to NY and crash with family. NO WAY I would even consider the food/pray idea. IMO, if you're going to take in an animal and you live in a hurricaine state, you plan ahead for these things! SHEESH! [Erm, sorry. That wasn't for you strange_wings
Just a general rant directed at the irresponsible]

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by oregon

I think that culturally, espcially now in this country we see some creatures as being not as valuable, or at least not as worth caring for.
Even in movies and tv series, usually the cat is made fun of at his/her expenses. or be pictured as a creature that either get what "it deserves" or is easly disposable.
I agree. There really is a prevalent feeling that comes across in movies/tv etc that cats are to be made fun of/effeminate/fun to harm.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Yep. Sooner or later it's going to happen. And it's not like it's that hard of a decision. "Hmm. Run over a kid and be charged with vehicular manslaughter or slow down and take an extra 5 minutes to get to work?"
Um, running over a human is a lot different that running over an animal.

NO OFFENSE INTENDED HERE, but to swerve for an animal on the road risks the driver and the passengers lives, and it is recommended never to swerve to avoid an animal. (Unless it is a moose). Obviously, if speed is an issue..drivers should slow their speed in an "animal frequented" area.

Lord knows, I would never ever want to hit a cat or any other animal..and who knows if I maybe even would swerve if it happened..but I know we shouldn't be risking our lives in these cases. I would brake as hard as I could, and try to safely stop in time..but I would not endanger others lives swerving.

I almost killed 4 of my friends swerving for a turtle when I was a teenager. That feeling will NEVER leave me, and it makes me feel sick what almost happened.

Never swerve.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

[Erm, sorry. That wasn't for you strange_wings
I know it wasn't

Personally, if I were you, I would go with the shelter you have to register for. That way there is proof that your animal was there should something happen.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Um, running over a human is a lot different that running over an animal.
My original reference was for careless drivers that are not watching what is in front of them or driving to fast to stop. In blind spots especially (bush right next to a street), it's going to be hard to miss a person, slower speed would help.

I almost killed 4 of my friends swerving for a turtle when I was a teenager. That feeling will NEVER leave me, and it makes me feel sick what almost happened.
You can "straddle" turtles between the wheels, they duck into their shells and don't make a run for it. Obviously, you don't swerve when it can cause you to lose control of the vehicle.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My original reference was for careless drivers that are not watching what is in front of them or driving to fast to stop. In blind spots especially (bush right next to a street), it's going to be hard to miss a person, slower speed would help.
You can "straddle" turtles between the wheels, they duck into their shells and don't make a run for it. Obviously, you don't swerve when it can cause you to lose control of the vehicle.
I couldn't have "straddled" this turtle. It was the size of a tractor trailer tire. Don't you think I would have "straddled" it if it was a normal turtle?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I couldn't have "straddled" this turtle. It was the size of a tractor trailer tire. Don't you think I would have "straddled" it if it was a normal turtle?
Oh! alligator snapper!
You have those all the way up there? Not that I should be surprised, they look like tanks so surely a little cold isn't going to stop them.

I have no idea what a large snapper would have done to a car, they can easily weigh 200 lbs (90-91 kg?).

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, after I was told this, I found out they do have shelters here where you can take your pets. They have to be crated, and you have to register for them by... I think it's April? Maybe May? For hurricane frances and jeanne they opened the local greyhound racetrack kennels as an animal shelter, you just had to keep your pets crated and they didn't require registration. After Katrina when they saw how many people wouldn't leave because they wouldn't leave their pets alone, they stepped up and opened even more of them. But it drove me insane because the shelter/greyhound park was there to use and STILL people we're using the old 'leave food and pray' method.

Personally, I don't care if I have to toss all the kids into my teeny car and drive to NY and crash with family. NO WAY I would even consider the food/pray idea. IMO, if you're going to take in an animal and you live in a hurricaine state, you plan ahead for these things! SHEESH! [Erm, sorry. That wasn't for you strange_wings
We stayed at our house in Mississippi when Katrina came, there was no way on God's green earth was I gonna leave and not take our beloved Sambo, or Opie with us. If Katrina was gonna get us, then Katrina was gonna get all of us.

Leaving an animal to defend for itself would be the same thing as leaving a child.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gosh... it must have been nuts sitting through Katrina. Jeanne scared the heck out of me, so I can only imagine what that must have been like for you. You're brave!

Agreed! I ran for Frances, Karma came along. I stayed for Jeanne, Karma stayed in the closet with me - luckily it was a walk in closet

I didn't have the other kids then, but they would have come too.

Like you said... if it's going to get us, it's going to get all of us!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swerved once to avoid a squirrel on a bicycle and about ripped my arm off and broke my leg once. The squirrel was fine. I was not. If you think about it swerving is less predictable and maybe more dangerous for what you're avoiding...

As for storms, Zissou would be coming with me. On her leash, if I don't have a chance to get the carrier. If you won't let us in the shelter, I'll be outside, thanks.