Reading PMs on Google!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is for real!!!
I do know that Mods can read PMs on SOME forums though.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I seriously doubt this, and I can assure you this Mod can't read any Pm's other than her own.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried to do it myself by copy/pasting pieces of out of my pm box and putting them in quotes and searching. Nothing came up for any of them.

I was once suprised when I searched for something and one of my own posts here came up, but be assured it was in a public forum, not a pm.

That would be scary if it were true!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean on TCS.
I belonged to a dog site and know for a fact that Mods there could read them. I had 2 of them tell me to delete my PMs as they had personl info in them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

With the number of PMs you get in a day you wouldn't have the time to be reading other people's PMs too anyway

Usually it is only an Admin who can read PMs - not the mods

I doubt you can read them on Google though, the PL is hidden and PMs have the same type of security

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pm's on this site are just that... private messages. Nobody else can login to your account and read them; not mods, not admin and not even the "admin guinea pig" Cheeseface.
Google cannot spider your pm's either.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just to add, since I'm here. I can't read any of the PM's either (other than my own). Admins can't even tell what your account password is btw, so couldn't log in under your name and read it. It really is private.

Yes, there are special add-ons for this forum software that allow admins to read PM's. They are not endored by Vbulletin and we do not use them here.

That said, everything is stored in the database, even if encrypted. If you read our privacy policy here, you'll see this -
Legal Disclosures of Information

Except under the following circumstances, TCS will not share your personally identifiable information with a third party without your prior consent. There are a limited number of situations where we may disclose your personal information to others without first receiving your consent: (1) when legally ordered to do so by a lawful subpoena or court order, (2) if we believe conduct by you will harm the property or rights of TCS , or (3) under exigent circumstances to protect the physical safety of TCS, its employees, users or the general public.

Hope this helps