Computer shopping vent

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
So I just got back from a certain large retailer of electronics (which shall remain nameless). I went in there ready to buy a brand new laptop... I had looked online and I knew which one I wanted, and I knew that I didn't want the extended warranty.

So I found the laptop I wanted, asked a few questions about it, got the answers. Then the woman proceeds to explain to me the advantages of extended warranty. After a few minutes, someone called her away so she left. I keep looking at the computer and right away another salesman appears and starts to explain to me the advantages of extended warranties.
For 10-15 minutes (but it felt like an hour!) he tells me about everything that can (and probably will) go wrong on the computer after the manufacturer's warranty is up. According to him, the heat of the computer might melt the DVD burner. The screen might end up with lines and/or spots, the keyboard will also break somehow...
Of course I CAN buy the computer without the warranty, IF I don't mind paying hundreds of dollars in repairs every month or so when something breaks.

My reply: "I'll think about it!"
(My thoughts: "somebody shoot me. I just want to get out of here before I hurt someone!
)

Then I left the store, and I don't think I'll be back. They just lost a sale.

I think that justifies a nice letter to head office about their sales policies. Really, it seems that the items they have are just excuses to sell extended warranties.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aaaaaaaaaah, even at no commission stores, they do get commission when they sell the ext warranties..

It is SO annoying, they definately try to scare you into buying a warranty...some people are suck suckers and BUY it!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't there with you but it sounds like they were just doing their job. I know too many people who didn't get the warranty and regretted it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've known people who worked there and even they said those things are worthless and they push them so hard because they get commissions... They're just a way to squeeze money out of you.

If the laptop was that horrible, you'd know it by now!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I wasn't there with you but it sounds like they were just doing their job. I know too many people who didn't get the warranty and regretted it.
When I got my laptop, I got the warranty because frankly- everything DID go wrong with it, and that warranty saved my butt.

I sell extended warranties for cars too- its a bit different, but I'm sure people think the same thing about me for trying to sell them. Its part of our jobs, but you don't have to be pushy about it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would get the warranty...if and only if the manufacturer's warranty runs out in a year or less.

Otherwise if the manufacture's warranty is 2-3 years, then I skip it. Heck though I use to shop at the local computer retailer (now closed here though) and they new me well enough that they didn't attempt to sell me that stuff.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll just add my 2 cents re warranties. We bought a new computer in Feb/2005. My hubby got "talked into" the extended warranty. In March 2006, the monitor went - they replaced it. Fast forward to March 2007 - the monitor went again - it is currently in for repair/replacement at no cost to us. Yes, the warranty has saved us some $$$.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on how long the original warranty lasts, and what you intend to use the computer for. The advice I received from my IT friends is this: for the most part, in 2-3 years your computer will be obsolete (and not just pining for the fjords), so there's little point in extending the warranty beyond 2-3 years from the date of purchase because you're more likely to simply replace the computer if there are any problems. If you think you're likely to keep it beyond that time -- even if there are problems -- and don't care about upgrading memory, video cards, sound cards and so on, it makes sense to get the extended warranty. A lot of computers do seem to fall apart the second the manufacturer's warranty has expired. Also, it depends on how many changes you expect to make to the computer yourself (which usually applies to desktops and not laptop PCs), because certain changes will void the warranty (or make them less willing to look at it).

J and I muck about with our computer too much (okay, I muck about with the computer, J just smiles and nods and lets me do whatever I want) and have friends who can replace things as needed, so we didn't bother with the extended warranty. My parents, on the other hand, just replaced their ten-year-old computer and are unlikely to get another one for ten more years, so it makes sense for them to get the extended warranty; they don't do anything that might void the warranty.

Still, there's no excuse for pushy salespeople, especially if you went in knowing exactly what you wanted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, I looked at comsumer reports online and they all said that extended warranties are generally not worth it. Apparently, for laptops it's more worthwhile (or less worthless) but the retailers are still making TONS of money off warranties. In fact, that's where most of their profits come from.

The warranty they were trying to sell to me was almost 30% of the price for 2 years, and 33% for 3 years of the computer. The computer comes with a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer (which means that the extended warranty is really for 1 or 2 extra years)
And from what I read, they can deny coverage if they think that I've dropped the computer or had some sort of accident.
I think I'll put my money away as a repair fund instead.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

The warranty they were trying to sell to me was almost 30% of the price for 2 years, and 33% for 3 years of the computer. The computer comes with a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer (which means that the extended warranty is really for 1 or 2 extra years)
And from what I read, they can deny coverage if they think that I've dropped the computer or had some sort of accident.
I think I'll put my money away as a repair fund instead.
That sounds like a very good plan. If you invest the amount you would have spent on the warranty (or put it into a savings plan), in the event that you never actually need to make repairs you could have a decent amount of rainy day money.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to guess that the store in mention was Best Buy. They are awful sometimes about pestering customers, but you have to remember the employee on the floor is just doing what they are told to do. And yes, the Product Replacement Plans and repair plans they market heavily do make them money.. which is why they push the employees so hard to sell them.

In buying a computer, you also keep in mind that computers outdate at an alarmingly fast rate, so purchasing a warrenty that costs so much seems a bit silly to me. I think you're doing the right thing.

Also, I am in a computer service program at a tech school and we learned that the #1 problem with laptops is people spilling drinks on them.. so be careful with that

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking it was BB also. I bought my laser printer end of january (on sale) and they tried to sell me a warranty $20 for a $60 printer-I don't think so!!
Did you check epinions for computer reviews??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny1124

In buying a computer, you also keep in mind that computers outdate at an alarmingly fast rate, so purchasing a warrenty that costs so much seems a bit silly to me. I think you're doing the right thing.
That's what I was thinking too.

You were wrong about the store though.
I ended up going to Best Buy tonight (they had the same computer, at the same price) and they didn't even ask me if I wanted the extended warranty. I just told them "I want that computer", they got it for me, I paid and I was on my way.
The people at the other store put pressure on me for the extended warranty, the payment plan and wanted to charge me $79 to install Windows for me. I just installed it myself and all I had to do was click on a few things. A trained monkey could have done that.

So I have my new computer now. I just need to wait till it finishes creating the recovery discs and then I have to set up the internet and I'm ready to go.
I just wish I could have had Windows XP instead of Vista. Ah well, nothing's perfect.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is how they are making ton of money selling those.
if you dont want, it say NO, not i will think about it.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny1124

Also, I am in a computer service program at a tech school and we learned that the #1 problem with laptops is people spilling drinks on them.. so be careful with that
wrong at least in this house. heyu knocking a glass of milk off the top of the desktop onto the laptop is the number one killer of laptops