My two year old son is SWEARING!!...Eeek!

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Help!! What do I do???
My son Aiden is 2 1/2 and has just discovered rhyming words,which is so cute.
The problem is he has a ducky, it's his special someone that he absolutely LOVES

Well all rhyming words MUST rhyme with Ducky...so first it was lucky...then trucky....then mucky...now it's *ucky (you get the idea right)

I don't know what to do...I tried ignoring it because he doesn't understand that it's a BAD WORD (hoping that he would stop) but it's become his FAVORITE rhyming word and now I cringe everytime that he start's to rhyme!

Should I keep ignoring it hoping that he'll stop on his own?
I'm worried that if I tell him NOT to say it will it become a fun game for him to play and he'll say it even more!

Ugggh!!!! Help me!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, the only thing I know is if they get a reaction from you, they will just do it more..so try not to react I guess?

Did he hear that word from someone, or just happened to try using F in front of ucky?

I would say ignore it, and he will probably get tired of it
I am not a parent though so I don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope, not a word that we use at home...especially not when the kids are around

I'm trying to ignore it but it's becoming a Public Issue...imagine a two year old at the park or in the grocery store saying his favorite rhyming words(Yup, it happened!)...NOT a good thing!
The looks that we get

He has a pacifier, should I just keep him plugged until he out grows it??

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...what if you got him a new toy, like a stuffed animal whose name doesn't rhyme with anything offensive.
Will he forget about the ducky?

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Hmmm...what if you got him a new toy, like a stuffed animal whose name doesn't rhyme with anything offensive.
Will he forget about the ducky?
Nope, that won't work. He's had Ducky since he was four months old and doesn't do anything without him. It's true and lasting love.

I've tried to replace Ducky with other toys but he throws them all and says "I want DUCKY!!!" Thanks for trying though

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try and help him come up with a new word that rhymes with ducky.
If that doesn't work, I would try and catch him BEFORE he says it and get his mind off of it.
Other wise, you really don't want him saying that word and will have to tell him that is a bad word not to be said.
I would say something like "you know that *f* word is a bad word and Mommy doesn't like when you say it".

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've been trying to stop it before it starts but I can't seem to keep up with it. I think it's going to be time to have "The Talk" soon, I'm going out of my mind!

Here's my little guy and his famed Ducky...He looks so sweet and innocent

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, I'll preface this by saying I do not have children, so it's really easy for me to say this because I don't have to experience the embarrassment of having my child say something horrible to a complete stranger (or to his great-grandmother or my boss). Therefore, if there's such a thing as karma, this will happen to me sometime in the future and it will be absolutely mortifying.

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing, and I know my friends with young children are pretty much the same way. I do think there's a time and place for curse words (like, you probably shouldn't shout them in front of your church group or your supervisor, or in front of other people you know have a problem with swearing), but it's hard to express that in a way that small children will understand. To be honest, my sense of humour is immature enough that I would probably find it hilarious to listen in on your child's rhyming game; knowing the vast majority of my equally immature friends, they'd try to help out with new and more interesting words to rhyme. But that's my circle of friends, and most of us have the sense of humour of 6-year-old boys.

I think unless you can explain to your child that there's a time and place for swearing (which I'm not sure you can do with a two-year-old, but it's a nice thought ...), the only thing to do is ignore it. If you act horrified or make a big fuss about it, it'll turn into a fun new game and you'll never get him to stop. The hard part will be getting other people to react to his swearing in the same way that you do -- if you laugh it off and someone else gets offended, it could be confusing for him. One thing I do know, whatever you do, be consistent. If he swears once and gets a mouthful of soap (do parents even do this any more? I know mine didn't), this should be what happens every time; don't just laugh it off one time and punish it another time, depending on the circumstances. (Of course, you know this already ...)

I would hope, also, that most people would be fairly understanding about this. Who doesn't have a story about themselves, a sibling, a friend or a child who proudly walked up to a neighbour and announced that they have a vagina (or a penis), or started swearing up a storm, or used some other inappropriate word in front of a highly inappropriate audience? It happens. It makes for embarrassing moments when it happens, but amusing stories later in life. (Besides, you can save the story for when he brings home his first girlfriend ...)

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At your son's age that kind of word play is really good and also lots of fun for him. Why don't you try getting him to play other word games?

Like you could teach him the bananarama song (though if he does that with ducky itll be just as bad) or get excited about rhyming other words, or words that begin with d- instead of ending in -uck... If it won't take, he'll grow out of the rhyming game pretty quickly.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about telling him that Ducky doesn't like him using that word - that it makes Ducky feel bad because it's not a "nice" word.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

At your son's age that kind of word play is really good and also lots of fun for him. Why don't you try getting him to play other word games?
Great Suggestion, I'll start working on that *finger's crossed*

Like you could teach him the bananarama song (though if he does that with ducky itll be just as bad) or get excited about rhyming other words, or words that begin with d- instead of ending in -uck... If it won't take, he'll grow out of the rhyming game pretty quickly.
This had me laughing for a long time....can you imagine!!

I hope that he out grows it soon, It's definately one for the baby book

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

How about telling him that Ducky doesn't like him using that word - that it makes Ducky feel bad because it's not a "nice" word.
Oooooh... that has definate promise!

He'll do just about anything for his Ducky

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I really like this idea!! My little sister liked to use "sad" words as we called them a lot. She had a favorite character on TV, so we explained that it made the TV character sad to hear her say those words!!

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

First off, I'll preface this by saying I do not have children, so it's really easy for me to say this because I don't have to experience the embarrassment of having my child say something horrible to a complete stranger (or to his great-grandmother or my boss). Therefore, if there's such a thing as karma, this will happen to me sometime in the future and it will be absolutely mortifying.

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing, and I know my friends with young children are pretty much the same way. I do think there's a time and place for curse words (like, you probably shouldn't shout them in front of your church group or your supervisor, or in front of other people you know have a problem with swearing), but it's hard to express that in a way that small children will understand. To be honest, my sense of humour is immature enough that I would probably find it hilarious to listen in on your child's rhyming game; knowing the vast majority of my equally immature friends, they'd try to help out with new and more interesting words to rhyme. But that's my circle of friends, and most of us have the sense of humour of 6-year-old boys.

I think unless you can explain to your child that there's a time and place for swearing (which I'm not sure you can do with a two-year-old, but it's a nice thought ...), the only thing to do is ignore it. If you act horrified or make a big fuss about it, it'll turn into a fun new game and you'll never get him to stop. The hard part will be getting other people to react to his swearing in the same way that you do -- if you laugh it off and someone else gets offended, it could be confusing for him. One thing I do know, whatever you do, be consistent. If he swears once and gets a mouthful of soap (do parents even do this any more? I know mine didn't), this should be what happens every time; don't just laugh it off one time and punish it another time, depending on the circumstances. (Of course, you know this already ...)

I would hope, also, that most people would be fairly understanding about this. Who doesn't have a story about themselves, a sibling, a friend or a child who proudly walked up to a neighbour and announced that they have a vagina (or a penis), or started swearing up a storm, or used some other inappropriate word in front of a highly inappropriate audience? It happens. It makes for embarrassing moments when it happens, but amusing stories later in life. (Besides, you can save the story for when he brings home his first girlfriend ...)
Personally, I choose to not let my children swear but I have friends that do let their kids and I respect their choice. My older kids (8 and 12) did try once or twice but I explained that even if they hear other people using those words they may not. I'm sure that as they get older I'll become a bit more lenient about it but some words...the F word especially...are just to much

I think that it's really funny when he says his rhyme, just not appropriate. My friends and family have had many laughs about it(not around him) I just don't want to encourage him

When my daughter started kindergarten she actually got in trouble for saying Vagina in class. I don't know how that qualifies as a "bad word" but people were offended
So after that they told her to say "my private area"

I can't wait to tell his first girlfriend about this...it's a great story

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You could also tell him that Ducky is very lucky to live with a nice boy like him and would like to be called Lucky Ducky

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

You could also tell him that Ducky is very lucky to live with a nice boy like him and would like to be clled Lucky Ducky
I tried that
He shows major preference for the "F" sound

He started saying "he's my *ucky Ducky"

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

When my daughter started kindergarten she actually got in trouble for saying Vagina in class. I don't know how that qualifies as a "bad word" but people were offended
So after that they told her to say "my private area"
I would be LIVID
and they might just find a lawyer up their you-know-what. Teaching children that there's something wrong with their body is absurd. Abuse advocates can tell you the importance of children knowing the words for their own body and not being embarassed to use them. Oh this makes me mad. Mad! Tell the people who were offended to go to therapy and continue teaching your children the right words for their anatomy. If people think they need to be so sensitive that they can't handle adult words for human anatomy then THEY have a problem, not your daughter. You did the right thing to teach them the correct words and not act like there was something dirty or shameful about them... The damage caused by this could last a lifetime unless you make sure she knows its their problem not hers.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I would be LIVID
and they might just find a lawyer up their you-know-what. Teaching children that there's something wrong with their body is absurd. Abuse advocates can tell you the importance of children knowing the words for their own body and not being embarassed to use them. Oh this makes me mad. Mad! Tell the people who were offended to go to therapy and continue teaching your children the right words for their anatomy. If people think they need to be so sensitive that they can't handle adult words for human anatomy then THEY have a problem, not your daughter. You did the right thing to teach them the correct words and not act like there was something dirty or shameful about them... The damage caused by this could last a lifetime unless you make sure she knows its their problem not hers.
I agree and told her that she was free to call her vagina whatever SHE chose to call it. It is a body part like any other and she shouldn't EVER feel bad about it.
Needless to say "my private area" is what she chose to say at school, at home she says vagina.
We've switched schools since then and I'm much happier with her new school.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Excellent idea!

Originally Posted by kittiesx2

I tried that
He shows major preference for the "F" sound

He started saying "he's my *ucky Ducky"
If he insists on F words and you could tell him that *ucky is a bad word and that he should use frucky or flucky or something like that

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

If he insists on F words and you could tell him that *ucky is a bad word and that he should use frucky or flucky or something like that
Yeah, I'm getting to that....It's going to be so strange to tell him that he can't say *ucky. I'm almost embarrased about it

I swear sometimes, but not anywhere near my kids, it's gonna' be weird