Shots

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do cats have to get their annual shots for life? Connor & Princess haven't had shots in ages (at least 8 years). All the other kitties we are pretty good at remembering. They occasionally go in the back yard but are indoors otherwise.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it depends. There are "new" regulations that say every 3 years. Most vets still say every year.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly... I don't

Harley got all of his shots at the time he was neutered, but he's gonna be 2 in June- and isn't up to date on his 'yearly' shots. Honestly, its becuase he's a HORROR at the vet. He hisses, and gets really scared, I'd rather not put him thru that. He goes to the vet when he's sick - and I took him this spring when he had a temp/cold- and he got meds, but otherwise they said he was healthy.

Bayley is the same way. He doens't appreciate the vet, and I'd rahter not put them thru that.

They are both indoors, but I take them out sometimes when its nice on their collars/leashes.

I think there are some other members that don't take theirs in for their yearlys either... as long as my boys are healthy, I think they are okay. My vet even said that not even takes their indoor cats in for their yearly visits. I think its somewhat 'normal'?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Honestly... I don't

Harley got all of his shots at the time he was neutered, but he's gonna be 2 in June- and isn't up to date on his 'yearly' shots. Honestly, its becuase he's a HORROR at the vet. He hisses, and gets really scared, I'd rather not put him thru that. He goes to the vet when he's sick - and I took him this spring when he had a temp/cold- and he got meds, but otherwise they said he was healthy.

Bayley is the same way. He doens't appreciate the vet, and I'd rahter not put them thru that.

They are both indoors, but I take them out sometimes when its nice on their collars/leashes.

I think there are some other members that don't take theirs in for their yearlys either... as long as my boys are healthy, I think they are okay. My vet even said that not even takes their indoor cats in for their yearly visits. I think its somewhat 'normal'?
That's what I am thinking especially since Connor and Princess are the healthiest of the bunch and had the least amount of yearly shots. It just becomes so expensive when you have 7 cats.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

That's what I am thinking especially since Connor and Princess are the healthiest of the bunch and had the least amount of yearly shots. It just becomes so expensive when you have 7 cats.
Yeah, I cant even imagine 7 cats - it gets spendy with just 2!

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats were vaccinated as kittens, and they also got their initial boosters. After that, none unless a vet was a real jerk about the required rabies shots. The cat i had in childhood died terribly of a vaccination-site cancer, and i really don't feel that vaccinations are in the best interests of my indoor-only cats. The risk that they will get outside is small compared to the risks posed by the vaccines, imo. My current vets are ok with this decision and don't argue with me. But if my cats were allowed outside or were always trying to escape i would get them vaccinated.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only shot I get my cats is the rabies that I have to by law. IMO, I think pets are being over vaccinated and causing them more harm than good.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow was vaccinated every year until last year, when she only got one of the boosters. I've decided she will only have one more vaccine for the rest of her life--the one for upper respiratory viruses. She's 8 years old. I adopted Odo last year, so his were done at the shelter. He won't have any more ever. He's about 15 years old. Vaccines are designed for healthy cats. The protection from them tends to last longer than the vaccine companies would like to admit--I think some studies have shown they last for up to 7 years.

Also, my two are indoor only, so they really aren't exposed to any other cats, except when they go to the vet. Willow has been exposed in the past when I brought home a stray cat (Spot was a special case), but in the future I intend to adopt from a shelter, where they will have been tested.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my cats are indoor only and one of them had an allergic reaction to the one year boosters. They have been pre-treating him and he hasn't had problems but this year is the first year since then for the rabies shot. Technically I don't think Ohio absolutely requires a rabies shot for cats but I know there are liability issues when there isn't an up to date rabies shots. I really don't think there will be a problem though because he always hides when someone he doesn't know comes in. His hiding place is also a place where a child can't get to him.