Don't buy gas on the 15th of May

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps most of you are aware of this protest, but for those of you that are not, no one is buying gas on the 15th to send a message to the gasoline companies.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Perhaps most of you are aware of this protest, but for those of you that are not, no one is buying gas on the 15th to send a message to the gasoline companies.
I heard about it too... unfortunatly, it means people will gas up alot today oro the 16th

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not to be a negative Nelly, but this doesn't do a thing... People need gas and will continue to buy it. Not getting gas on one day doesn't do a thing. People will either fill up today if they're low, or do it on Wednesday, and they'll still get their money.

Go read http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp for a bit of a read about it.

If you want to seriously send a message, carpool more regularly - find a way to do it. Take a bike or public transport rather than drive whenever you can. If you have to buy a new car, look at hybrids - second hand hybrids are really coming down in price, and hybrid 4WDs are available if you need a bigger car.

And for the record, yes I am lucky enough to own a hybrid, and try to ride to work whenever I can, and DH and I own one car between us, even though a second car would be nice on occasions - we deal with it though.

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We would only have 1 car,but our work hours a so far apart,I work all over the county ,driving to house to house,some days 7 hours and sometimes only 5. Ted works 12 hours a day 2 times one week and the next week 4 days.I sometimes put 90 to 100 miles a week on my van! He drives 45 mintes .1 way.So yes we are paying (gold ) to drive to work!
And in our small town we don't have cabs or bus's

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarah!

Yes, unfortunately all it does is cause other people to fill up on a different day. Depleating the use of gas (or gas guzzlers) will start.

I do try to walk anywhere I can. Often I like to have a little shopping center within walking distance that I can opt out of a car for the day.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be a negative Nelly, but this doesn't do a thing... People need gas and will continue to buy it. Not getting gas on one day doesn't do a thing. People will either fill up today if they're low, or do it on Wednesday, and they'll still get their money.
I agree!!! Now, if we were lucky enough to go for about a week without buying any, that may work.
I to need gas and I will be buying it as well as hubby tomm. He has to work and I have errands to do.Plus, I need to keep gas in it incase Seth or any of the others kids need to go to the Dr.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sherral46

We would only have 1 car,but our work hours a so far apart,I work all over the county ,driving to house to house,some days 7 hours and sometimes only 5. Ted works 12 hours a day 2 times one week and the next week 4 days.I sometimes put 90 to 100 miles a week on my van! He drives 45 mintes .1 way.So yes we are paying (gold ) to drive to work!
And in our small town we don't have cabs or bus's
I understand not everyone can go for these options, my point was just that not buying petrol for one day won't make a difference, it has to be a lifestyle change!

And most of the country has probably not seen this email that's going around, so the petrol stations will still be busy anyway...

AND not to mention that the US has about the cheapest petrol in most developed countries, it's just relatively expensive to what it used to be (which was ridiculously dirt cheap, which I blame for the American obsession with big gas guzzling cars!). Most countries with expensive petrol (that I've been to) drive smaller, more economical vehicles.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have said, it wont make any difference,
you will buy the gas today or the next day. the same amount will get used.
Also as others have said, lifestyle change is the only thing that will in the long run make any difference.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what would make a difference is if people decided not to USE gas for a day. Not just stay home either, but walk to the grocery store, take the bus to work, that kind of stuff.

Better yet, try to quit using gas altogether. I do so less than once a month, it's not impossible.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

As others have said, it wont make any difference,
you will buy the gas today or the next day. the same amount will get used.
Also as others have said, lifestyle change is the only thing that will in the long run make any difference.
I agree. I wish i could go without having to use gas- but living in this area- it's unavoidable! it's not like we have cabs or even public transportaion in a lot of parts out here (in the deeper parts of memphis there is a bus line - but it is NOT safe - they've had several attacks on it and i would never risk my safety). It is also not safe to walk around the streets of memphis unfortunately
Bartlett,TN (where i just moved to with colin) is literally down the road from memphis- while it is much nicer and safer....you can not get to work (at least not for me) or many other places for that matter without a car. So it is unavoidable. What i do instead, to try and cut down on the amount of gas i use- is carpool to lunch with my coworkers. (we get to work at different times during the week so we can't carpool together to get there and back.) HOWEVER- when we take our lunch breaks- ALL of us carpool together in the car that uses the least gas
It's something we all do to try and cut down on how much we drive/pollute. Every little bit helps. Also- when my sister kimmy and i need to get groceries- we take my car and go together- that way we get to spend some time together and also save on gas money by carpooling
(we're actually doing that tomorrow!) Colin and I also just take one vehicle when we're both off work and need to go somewhere so that we don't use up too much gas there again. Sometimes- driving is just unavoidable- but there are always good ideas/creative ways to cut down on how much gas you guzzle if you try a little bit

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in rural america. Not only is there no "public transport", but I can't walk anywhere, either. Also, I have places I have to go tomorrow that I cannot miss. And my little arrow is on "E".

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking Tuesday would be the perfect day to buy gas. Lines will be shorter.

And yes, if you want to make a statement, do something other than drive. Ride a bike, walk, use public transportation. Work from home more, carpool. Anything. You will save money, discover new things, and do your part to go green.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also living in rural america-no such thing as public transport. But also I have had years of experience in combining errands. Unfortunately I might have to start adding a small fuel surcharge on to my clients invoices as the IRS mileage reinbursement does not cover all my costs.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah- I agree with Sarah- it wont do anything, not for just one day.
We have public transportation here, but its horrid and never in my area. Its just easier to use my car. And walking? HA! Living in my town, there's no such thing. Its 10 miles across town to the nearest grocery store!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the time the gasoline is at the gas station, it has already been purchased from the big companies, whom the boycott is designed to hurt. The only people that would be harmed by such a boycott would be the small business/station owner.

If this were to truly have a REAL effect rather than an imagined one, we would need the GAS STATIONS to refuse to buy gasoline to provide to the public.

It's a nice thought, but the supply chain is misunderstood.

I'm buying gas today because I'm almost on empty. It's already at the gas station, and I support the little guy trying to make a living.

MY method of consuming less gas - which is what we should all be focusing on rather than "don't buy it for just one day" - is to ride my motorcycle to work as often as possible. It gets close to 50 mpg rather than my pickup truck, which gets about 18 mpg.

Better than not buying for one day: Buy a 4-cylinder vehicle, get rid of the gas-guzzling SUVs. That will cause a major drop in your consumption and still get you the same places you need to go.

Then with the money you save on gas, you can go buy a rain barrel to conserve water use in your home. Rainwater is great for watering the lawn.

Not buying gas on one day, then filling up your 30 gallon SUV tank the next is purely hypocritical, IMO.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
im sorry, i thought the title said 'dont pass gas on the 15th'...