Inflammation

himmielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my little Chloe has been on medicine to treat the UTI when today I get a call from the doc saying it was just inflammation.

Huh?

How did that happen?

He said "it happens sometimes."

How can I prevent this?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor didn't provide any other details, or options for medication, diet or anything?

How old is Chloe?

Did the doctor mention what her pH is? Were there any crystals found in her urine?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your kitty may have idiopathic cystitis. Reducing stress can help prevent future problems.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cloud Shade is right...I was just a little floored that your vet didn't offer any further info or advice.

The best prevention is water intake and stress reduction.

The best way to increase water intake is by feeding wet food. My suggestion would be to feed a good quality wet food, and no dry food.

In more severe cases, there are medications to target the inflammation, and/or the stress factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himmielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

Ok I was at work (so it was short) when the vet called and he suggested that her inflammation was due to stress (we were in hawaii for a week even though the cat sitter said she was a total love bug the whole time we were gone). It could have been due to that stress.

And that was it. I gotta call him back for advice. I need to write a list out of things I need to know because I seem to forget once I get on with him.

I did buy a water fountain kitty drinker and she can't decide if its a toy- or something to drink out of. She has been drinking water daily and urinating normally in the box.
I just can't imagine her peeing on the carpet for no reason. I have the areas cleaned and covered with bags so she doesn't repeat it and so far so good. The solution needs to dry completely to remove the smell so they don't mark it again to "freshen" up. But I am now wondering if she has moved on to another spot so I find myself on my hands and knees sniffing.

They have 2 boxes, cleaned twice a day, clean litter that they have always loved. I don't imagine that she is unsatisfied with that.

For a 6 pound timy animal- she sure is giving me alot of stress!

empire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent this past year researching cat disease and food because the vets give no decent information. Nutrition is of paramount importance in their health and all vets offer is Hills, Science diet and Eukanuba , which are awful foods. They have either ethoxyquin, bha, bht ,by products , corn gluten, or other bad ingrediants. They also dont tell you that they make money every time they sell their expensive junk.
I dont take any food suggestions from my vet. If I did, my cat would still be pulling out fur & scratching to bleeding.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by himmielove

Hi guys!

Ok I was at work (so it was short) when the vet called and he suggested that her inflammation was due to stress (we were in hawaii for a week even though the cat sitter said she was a total love bug the whole time we were gone). It could have been due to that stress.

And that was it. I gotta call him back for advice. I need to write a list out of things I need to know because I seem to forget once I get on with him.

I did buy a water fountain kitty drinker and she can't decide if its a toy- or something to drink out of. She has been drinking water daily and urinating normally in the box.
I just can't imagine her peeing on the carpet for no reason. I have the areas cleaned and covered with bags so she doesn't repeat it and so far so good. The solution needs to dry completely to remove the smell so they don't mark it again to "freshen" up. But I am now wondering if she has moved on to another spot so I find myself on my hands and knees sniffing.

They have 2 boxes, cleaned twice a day, clean litter that they have always loved. I don't imagine that she is unsatisfied with that.

For a 6 pound timy animal- she sure is giving me alot of stress!
I know it's frustrating when they have these bladder issues. You have my sympathy.

The thing is, whether it's "just" inflammation, or a UTI, or crystals...they all have similar symptoms and consequences. The inflammation causes them discomfort when they urinate, so they will go outside of the box, even if it's just inflammation. She's not necessarily dissatisfied with her litterbox options or environment...it just hurts when she pees so she makes her decisions based on that.

If you have 2 cats and 2 boxes, it may be a good idea to add another box. Generally the rule is one per cat, plus one. It can't hurt.

Prevention is key, as more times than not, the inflammation will return at times.

I am a big believer in a wet food diet for any cat, but it's especially beneficial for cats with bladder issues. When they eat nothing but wet food, you'll rarely see them take a drink from a bowl or fountain ...because they get a significant amount of water from their food. Cats by nature do not seek water until they are already a little dehydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himmielove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I normally only feed them dry (wellness) but I have to ask the vet if he thinks wet food will help at all. I am scared to even touch it due to the recalls and the fact that it turns my cats into vultures! hehe.