Food / recipes to settle tums / after vomiting

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Alfie is a very sensitive boy and vomits quite alot, on and off. He is fine normally but is often sick after food if hes going tobe. The vet hasn't picked up on anythign to suggest why.

I wanted to know some ideas of what to do to try and tempt him to eat without making him more poorly when hes been sick? It seems to put it him right off his food when hes ben sick and hes pretty skinny so i need to get him to eat.

Can anyone suggest a good recipe to settle him tummy that will be appetising enough to persuade him to eat?

Thank you from an increasingly frustrated cat mummy!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
chicken breast and rice or hamburger and rice

GET to the VET

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
been to the vet - she says hes fussy eater and sensitive.

Thanks i tried chicken and rice but he hates rice.

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would keep taking him back to the vet if it were any other cat, but alfie hates the vet and they have to sedate him to do anything, then the sedative makes him sick for 3-4 days after (hes a very sensitive boy). So that just makes things worse - he can't afford to lose more weight. He's not having a bout of vomiting - this is like once a week or every two weeks. I think he is actually going a bit anorexic and then when i do persuade him to eat a decent amount he can't always keep it down. I will ring the vet and ask again. it's so difficult.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had some luck getting the rice eaten by mashing it into some of the chicken. They honestly don't need a ton of rice to make a difference, and this way it tastes mostly like chicken

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

I've had some luck getting the rice eaten by mashing it into some of the chicken. They honestly don't need a ton of rice to make a difference, and this way it tastes mostly like chicken
Ok, i'll give it a go!!! I also rang the vet and she's going to call me back

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it is very frustrating. I have a cat that goes through periods that last two or three weeks. I have had him to three different vets and he has had to stay at the vets twice on an I.V. because of dehydration. He loses weight when he is going through a bout of whatever this is. The only thing I have found that keeps him from having to go to the vets is a fish heavy wet in small amounts, no dry, if he tries to eat it it just comes back up. Plugging in a Feliway diffuser really seems to help. Without it he completely quits eating then it's back to the vet's for fluids. They gave him an enema both times that he stayed there and there was a lot in him so I think the whole thing is starting with constipation. I have been trying to remember to give him hairball remedy a couple of times a week to try to keep him from getting constipated.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone made some good points.

Are you finding any hair in the vomit?

Denice is right, constipation can cause vomiting and to some extent, anorexia. I would expect that the vet would have checked for that by feeling Alfie's belly and/or doing xrays.

Wet food is more digestable than dry. Small but frequent meals are good.