~Is it Okay for a kitten to nurse as long as mom will allow?~

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~As you all know I just took in 3 Foster cats....the vet that seen them thinks the little girl which we named Puddin is to be 6-8 weeks old...Im thinking closer to 10 because she is twice the size of my 5 week old babies. Thing is both her mom and the other adult female that came in with them are lactating and is feeding Puddin. Puddin will eat canned kitten food and did so very well yesterday but she is still nursing several times a day on the moms. Is it okay to allow this? She is the only baby and they both still have quite a bit of milk. Im worried about Mastitis if I stop her from nursing....I just dont want anybody to end up sick or any harm coming from the late weaning. What is your take on kittens nursing upto 10-12 weeks old??~

Also how old does she look to you guys/gals?

You can see her little wound in this pic a bit. She came in with a gash in her tummy.

She is like STOP with all the dang pics mom I cannot SLEEP!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gosh the older whitesh/orangeish cat looks siimilar to Mika, spiritas cat. I think she looks to be atleast 8 weeks. BUt I'm not sure. Its hard to guess sometimes. As for weaning her, I don't havea ny suggestions. Just make sure that she does okay on regular food too.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen kittens continue to nurse for up to 6 months, depending on the tolerance of the mother. The mom will tell the kitten when she is tired of it. I'm not an expert on kittens, but personally see no problem with it. Perhaps a more experience member can chime in here.

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the older cat looks like Mika! lol, but I would guess 8-10 weeks on your baby.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont know if this is right or wrong and I have never interfered but my cat Easy let her babys nurse up to a year old and then she started letting them periodically nurse ..... Kiko still wants to and hes 4
and sometimes she will let him

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've let my rex queens decide when they wanted to stop - one nursed her kittens up to 3 months - no problems - but I don't think she really had milk left - it was a security thing

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I dont know if this is right or wrong and I have never interfered but my cat Easy let her babys nurse up to a year old and then she started letting them periodically nurse ..... Kiko still wants to and hes 4
and sometimes she will let him
Sounds like a mamas boy to me!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess that sweet little white kitty to be pushing 10 weeks. He looks larger and sturdier then a clumsy little 6 week old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~The Little he is actually a little she....she is EVERYWHERE! She is wild and crazy and everytime you take a step you have to look to make sure she isnt under your feet haha! So Im thinking she is upwards of 10 weeks as well.....~

~Check the pics I JUST took....she just has this EVIL look to her haha like "I KNOW WHERE YOU SLEEP" type of thing haha~

One second she is all sweet and innocent

Then the next second she is contiplating eating your sandwhich and blaming it one the dogs haha!

Yes Juicy does look a bit like Spirita's cat