Baby Shampoo?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need to bathe Damita. She ended up wearing a large portion of yesterday's ringworm meds. However, a bath is a massive struggle. I have some tear-free baby shampoo. Can I use that one her?

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I need to bathe Damita. She ended up wearing a large portion of yesterday's ringworm meds. However, a bath is a massive struggle. I have some tear-free baby shampoo. Can I use that one her?
Don't see why not, just use a small amount or you will be rinsing her forever. I personally think real homemade soap is best. (Burt Bees is one brand)-no chemicals.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO NO ....PH is WAY TO HIGH in BABY shampoo its safety is a old tale

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHHH please Sharky! Its a one time bath with baby shampoo - it will NOT hurt the cat. Not everyone has a speciality shampoo for a quick bath.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

OHHH please Sharky! Its a one time bath with baby shampoo - it will NOT hurt the cat. Not everyone has a speciality shampoo for a quick bath.
I was told NEVER to use it by several vets who had lost cats and dogs when owners used it ...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I've NEVER lost a cat or dog with baby shampoo nor have they been sick. Maybe it was something else involved, but I'd be willing to bet it was NOT baby shampoo!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well I've NEVER lost a cat or dog with baby shampoo nor have they been sick. Maybe it was something else involved, but I'd be willing to bet it was NOT baby shampoo!
I suspected that but three different vets with similiar experiences I wont chance it... but then again I use organic stuff for me and GIGI ...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe continued washing in baby shampoo might be harmful, but a once or twice shampoo is fine. I've washed 5 week old kittens in baby shampoo for a 1st bath and nothing bad happened.

Not that I disbelieve 3 vets, but in all my life, I've never even heard of anyone having problems - let alone the animals dying cause of using baby shampoo. Still think it was something else involved. (unless the animals swallowed some of the shampoo)!

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use baby shampoo ALL the time with no problems on my cocker spaniel puppies. They get a bath at least once a month...never any problem.

I also use it on my Persians and Himalayans for a regular maintenance shampoo. (at least used every other month on the Persians and Himmies)

I have never had a problem with it nor have I had any of them get sick or die from using it.

Valerie

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use tearless baby shampoo on my hairless cats. It has always been extremely safe to use on them. I would think if it was ok for a hairless cat, it would be fine for a regular coated one.

Shampoo specifically made for a cat's coat is better for regular coated cats, but if it is not available, baby shampoo works fine.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to bathe Veeshan with baby shampoo every other week starting at 4 months old. I never had a problem. Now she gets a full blown show bath.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think if it isn't cat friendly shampoo just don't make it a regular habit and don't use too much and it should be ok. . .if it's safe for a baby and you use just a LITTLE bit you should be alright.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont use baby shampoo normally but since my kittens are really little I dont want to use the flea/tick shampoo that I have for cats. I used it also to clean around my goopy eyed babies eyes. It worked out fine. I also know people who use baby shampoo as a regular basis for their kittens or puppies because they only buy flea tick shampoo and dont want to use it till they are older. If its safe enough to use on our furless children is it really that horrible to use on our furry ones...Not long term of course but a sporadic bath with it here and there isnt bad...

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is really cheap cat shampoo at Wal-Mart. I would say for anyone with a cat to buy a bottle of it and keep it in the house for times when you run out of the good stuff. At least you will always know what you are using on your cat is safe and relatively good for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still haven't given her a bath.
It's a nightmare to "drug" her & she ends up wearing more & more. I've been wiping her down with a wet cloth. I seriously think I might have to give her a stupid bath with anti-fungal shampoo(leave sit for 5 mins) then a leave in conditioner.
I just keep putting off her bath, hoping to be able to wait until her meds are done!