Non-cat loving friends...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...of mine have been giving me a hard time lately.

They think I'm totally nuts, adding yet another cat, and this one a Bengal. They think I'm even MORE nuts, showing them the videos of Nial's cats on the giant cat wheel, and talking about having one built.

They look at me like I have three heads, and ask me what is it about the cats - maybe I need mental help or something.
And these are long-time friends, who have seen me through quite a bit over the years. I was always a bird-owner, but suddenly, within the space of two years, I have three cats. Well, two, but it will be three on the 25th.

My standard responses? They make me HAPPY. They bring me real joy, and I love to love them.

I get weird looks in response to my responses, of course, so next I will say, "Is there something wrong with me being happy? I'm not hurting anyone, I can support and take care of them - what's the problem?"

My non-cat loving friends then shrug
and roll their eyes at each other, laughing at me. But they love me enough to put up with SOME of my gushing about my furbabies.
I guess I'll have to continue to consider them "good" friends.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have people like that too. A dear friend of mine, from TCS, sent me a gorgeous heart necklace - that on the heart - says Davidson, Forever In My Heart. And I wear it EVERYDAY- sometimes people see it and compliment me on it, and then when they read it, they give me a weird look- like, "WHY would you have something like THAT for a cat?!" I simply tell them- Because he was my little baby, he was a part of my life, and he will be forever. This is the way I choose to remember him by, and please, do not degrade me for mourning the way I do. Its the way I want to do it.

Then they tell me its a nice way to remember him by, and never bring it up again.

Some people just don't understand the love I (we all) have for our pets (cats, or otherwise) and I feel sorry for those people, that they will never get a chance to experience this great kind of endless love

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly what you mean. More than one friend thinks I spend too much money on them and today I was told that buying a cat tree for Maisie was a waste of money!

But like you I say they make me happy and I`ve chosen to keep them so I`m going to look after them the best I can. I don`t spend a lot of money on myself so I can afford to spoil them.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
most people think i'm nuts too, especially because I take in "sick" kitties, even my mom gives me crap about it, she actually threatened to put me in a mental institution
most of my close friends now I'm officially the crazy cat lady so they very rarely say anything anymore
they just smile when i start talking about the cute things my cats do and try to comfort me when one passes away

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I look at it like this my non cat friends don't have to understand why I love my cats soo much they don't even have to like it but they do have to respect me enough to not say anything derogatory towards me about it. But honestly I have more trouble with my family then I do my friends. My dad loves my cat but says I talk about her too much and says I will never make any friends if I talk about her. And my sister who has a cat says its just a bleeping cat when I get concerned about her like with the pet food scare. And my aunt still says she is a cat they are only good for what they are good for and my cousin says I should throw her outside and let the dogs get her. So I guess being called the crazy cat lady by my friends would be refreshing. And whats funny is she says I am over dueing it and I only have one cat although if it was upto me I would have maybe three or four more.
But I couldn't afford that many anyway. I could the food but not the vet bills.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I get rolled eyes all the time from my non-cat loving friends. They just don't get it.

It's okay though... I just love my boys!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all have to deal with that

Just this weekend, at the wedding, I was talking to my cousins about how much I love Trout..and how I had to spend so much money on her last year..They were like "I would have just shot her"..and laughing. I was like

When I am talking about Trout, I make a point of saying "non cat people wouldn't understand this but..."

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any friends who don't like cats.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no one in my life that doesn't like cats...certainly no one important in my life...Maybe people are talking about me when I'm not around...But never to my face
I am proud to be a crazy cat lady

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I have no one in my life that doesn't like cats...certainly no one important in my life...Maybe people are talking about me when I'm not around...But never to my face
I am proud to be a crazy cat lady
Very well put, I do have some non cat friends but they still like cats and well they just put up with me talking bout them, often times even when I see people and family first thing they always say is how are u, how are the cats

I just love being a crazy cat lady

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, both of my really good friends have cats. The people at the office probably think I'm slightly crazy, except the woman who works back in travel and we've been going back and forth about the pet food recall and sharing pictures of my fur babies... One of my attorneys just looks at me like I'm nuts, and the other one just chuckles... but the one that doesn't get it did tell me that "cats are important to me because they're important to you and Carol (his wife)."

My friends, though, they like cats. Scott wants to make up some characters for a "fantasy" game we play, based on my cats. We're going to make them into "monsters" and gods and give them all personality and character traits based on my kitties. He tolerates all my fuss about my kitties.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're all nuts by some people's standards. My 2 best friends are cat people and the other who isn't loves dogs like we love cats so I'm pretty safe with them. It's people at work who don't get me. And I just think they are the deprived ones for not knowing the love of our kitties!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I wanted to get a catwheel too..... yeah, it's totally them missing out on how great it is to have cats.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After I got my cat tree, my friends walked in and saw it for the first time and one said "omg you've GOT to be kidding me..." I responded with "but I got a good deal on it, and Princess loves it" then I got the eye roll lol!

Lately, even though my husband loves this cat, I've been getting the "no way in hell" response ... I've been bringing up getting "JUST ONE MORE!"

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Bean as a kitten he ended up being really sick and needing over $1200 in emergency vet care. Friends thought I was crazy for spending that much on a kitten I had just gotten for free. But I would think it crazy to not do that. It's all in what you value. If you love your kitties thats great, don't let your friends bother you.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor that I always work with said to me one day...."Why on earth would anyone have three cats????" I just looked him in the eye and said, "Why on earth would anyone have three children???" (He has 3 kids.) That shut him up for a while.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading the start of your post I figured you had about 20 cats...the way your friends are reacting. You only have 2 or maybe 3 soon, heck that's not many at all. You just go ahead and enjoy them, your giving them a lovely home, I only have one but wish I had more, Misty is a one cat girl and I have to live by that :-)

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

The doctor that I always work with said to me one day...."Why on earth would anyone have three cats????" I just looked him in the eye and said, "Why on earth would anyone have three children???" (He has 3 kids.) That shut him up for a while.
Well done. If he questions your lifestyle, then you should question his.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I don't have any friends who don't like cats.
You read my thoughts, I don't have any friends who don't like cats too! Most of my extended family does not like cats so they fall in to the 'friends' category.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose we look at dog people funny too. Tristan has both cats and dogs, and i love rhani and bella to death, but i cant stand that smell that EVERY dog has!! and the drooool! I much prefer to have a kitty rub and lick me than a puppy