New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Coat supplements

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
It was recommended to me to give my show cats a supplement for their coats. Dream Coat was recommended. It has garlic in it and I thought garlic was not good for cats. Do any of you who show cats give them a supplement for their coats and if you do what do you give them?
post #2 of 12
I don't show cats, but I picked up a jar of Four Paws Brewers Yeast tablets at the pet store a couple months ago. It's a jar of 500 and I think I've still got 3/4 of a jar left... it lasts a loooong time. Anyway, it's AMAZING. Before I started giving it to the animals, they had dry coats and were shedding like crazy. Sasha was especially bad, and I'd brush her twice a day and would get 5 brushfuls of hair off at each grooming. After about a week of the tablets, I can now barely get any fur off of her at grooming sessions and she's so much shinier. All of the cats have amazing coats since being on it. Oh, and it does have garlic in it as well.
post #3 of 12
You can try Kitty Bloom. No garlic, easily digestible, and can be mixed in with your wet/canned/raw foods.
post #4 of 12
Use to use Brewer's Yeast tablets and Kitty Bloom long time ago - didn't know they still made them.

Right now I'm not using any extra - only the RC Beauty & Fit which makes Charlie nice and silky/shiny. He also gets egg once a week.
post #5 of 12
A high end food should do the trick... if not fish oil( wildside salmon is good) or olive oil
post #6 of 12
My brewer's yeast has garlic and it helps. Personally speaking though, the best coat supplement for me and my cats is Royal Jelly!
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
My brewer's yeast has garlic and it helps. Personally speaking though, the best coat supplement for me and my cats is Royal Jelly!
How to get a cat to eat Royal jelly???
post #8 of 12
I use the liquid version. You don't need a lot. To start, I take a swipe with my index finger and wipe it on the side of the mouth. After a few days of this I just put one teaspoonful on a plate and they just gobble it up!

Other options that contain complete Vit B are: Marmite, Vegemite and Bovril
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
Other options that contian complete Vit B are: Vegemite
My bub gets vegemite in his food, he loves it. Only trouble is he goes after my breakfast too
post #10 of 12
I've heard that about garlic too - presumably because it is in the lily family. I'm stumped on that one because Artemis uses garlic in their food.

I don't have show cats, but feeding them TikiCat gives them gorgeous coats. Probably the fish oil.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
I've heard that about garlic too - presumably because it is in the lily family. I'm stumped on that one because Artemis uses garlic in their food.

I don't have show cats, but feeding them TikiCat gives them gorgeous coats. Probably the fish oil.
I didn't know garlic was bad? is it just bad for cats? My vet a long time ago told me garlic was good for redding fleas? He told me to put it in the dogs food I always put it in my cats food too, I haven't for a while.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialrags View Post
I didn't know garlic was bad? is it just bad for cats? My vet a long time ago told me garlic was good for redding fleas? He told me to put it in the dogs food I always put it in my cats food too, I haven't for a while.
so a quick search on here and youll see

Garlic CAN cause anemia and sometimes death in cats and some say dogs /...

I talked with my vet and she said the cooking process should destroy the substance that causes the issue... I dont feed alot of garlic( Gigi is allergic) and Kandie gets a small amount in her wellness... Kandie will be 19 next month so I and the vet agree it likely wont hurt her ... Garlic can be a cumlative effect or a very small amount is why many are agaisnt it s use ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding