Anyone good at predicting a kitten's "future personality"? :)

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone!

I just welcomed a new bundle of joy into our home last Saturday, a 10 week (now 11 week) old silver bengal boy kitten.

It's actually been a long time since I have experienced "kittenhood", although I'm sure that you guys have much more experience than I do. I already have a Bengal girl who is 5 years old, but I have a hard time remembering exactly what she was like as a kitten. I have him seperated from my Bengal girl so they haven't met yet. She is spayed and he will be neutered soon.

Anyway, I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference between normal kitten antics and true purrrsonality- and my husband and I are just curious to see how our little fella is going to turn out when he gets older. Ideally we will have a cat who will let us hold him and cuddle with him, but when they are crazy kittens it's hard to tell!

So..... here's a little description of my kitten and maybe you can help me. He actually has coccidia and earmites, unfortunately, so we give him Albon twice per day for the coccidia and he'll need another treatment of Ivermectin (for the mites) this week. He's actually a very good boy when taking his medicine and doesn't squirm a whole lot. He's not too skiddish... most of the time he's very brave. Sometimes, however, he will arch his back and fluff his tail for no apparent reason. Seeing his shadow, perhaps? Is that normal? Anyway, he lets me blow dry my hair without running away which, to me, is a pretty good sign that he won't be too easily frightened. He will let you hold him for a minute (longer if he's sleepy) but might start climbing you, chewing on my hair, or might squirm to get down. The other day he punched my husband in the face (after a brief cuddle session) which was kinda funny.
He will come to you to see what is going on if you call him, but most of the time, if you don't have a toy or food in hand, he'll dart off to find something more interesting. My mom, who is a cat person, came over to hold the kitten the other day and he wouldn't have any of it. She was very disappointed, but could it have been because he had just woken up from a nap? She held him the first day he came home and he didn't seem to have a problem with it.

So.... all that being said, he won't protest being picked up, but he doesn't seem to seek it out, either. I know that Bengals are much more active than normal kitties (which we love that about them), I was just hoping for a cat who will let me hold him for a few minutes every day.... unlike my crazy girl who kicks you away the second you pick her up!

We will keep the kitten and love him regardless... I was just curious to see if you guys could get a "read" for his personality better than I could. I just don't have that much kitten experience in me!

Thanks in advance!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised the Bengal breeder did not neuter him before you got him - most do now.

Usually if the kittens are not too afraid of everything, they turn out fine. You want socialization around different people for a more outgoing kitten. Males tend to be more outgoing to start, so he should be fine.

Where's the pics of your babies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GoldenKitty-
Thanks so much for your insight.
I didn't realize that pre-purchase neutering was common these days.... although it makes sense, I think. I'm going to go ahead and get him neutered pretty soon- I just wasn't sure how long I should let him settle in before I shake things up and take his manhood. haha

I've been trying to get him socialized around different people as much as I can. Does it matter how long the people stay and play with him or if they just pick him up.... does that count? I have a lot of friends who are dog-only people and they aren't super interested in hanging out with my cat.

I'm going to post some pictures of my baby when I get home. I'm at work right now so I don't have any with me. I definitely want to share him with you, though!

So you think that he'll still let me hold him when he gets older? Is he just scooting away right now because there's so much left to explore? I don't expect my Bengal to be a lazy lap cat, but a little cuddling would be refreshing. haha

Another question (from someone who is relatively inexperienced with raising kittens)- I've read different opinions on holding the kittens. Some say to put them down before they get squirmy, others say to hold them for a second longer so they can see that nothing bad happens to them. Which should I practice?

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh congratulations on your little bengal boy! He sounds like he feeling his oats - and I think that is a good thing! Especially in new surroundings, and on meds! Can't wait to see pictures and what is his name?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better to get him done by 4 months old - before he THINKS he's a boy
They say it retains their kitten mentality longer if neutered early. I would suppose a combo of interactive playing and holding would be fine with other people.

Charlie likes playing with company - but he's still "kitten" even tho by show standards he's adult now (8 months) - he still thinks more as a kitten. And he was neutered when we picked him up at 3 1/2 months, so its not too soon to neuter your boy.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm surprised the Bengal breeder did not neuter him before you got him - most do now.
Most Vets down here in the south won't/can't/don't want to learn how to do pediatric spay/neuter. If she got her bengal in the Carolinas at 10 weeks old, chances are her breeder couldn't get the neuter done. All 3 of my Vets refuse to neuter/spay earlier than 4 months.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't know that Nial - thanks for the info. I thought is was pretty much state wide now to do them at 3 months - I'm not comfortable with any younger then 3 months. Right now Charlie is 8 months and his head has not widened to look more like a male. Hope it will in time
Maybe by the time he's about a year

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky in that I can pick up my bengal girl pretty much whenever I want. She won't let me hold her for a long time most of the time but sometimes she's happy to have me carry her around for a bit.

She'll also sometimes settle in my lap for a cuddle although like most bengals if given the choice between play and cuddles she'll pick the play every time
(she's 15 months now)

Like on the first night with her I woke up with her curled up in the space between my neck and shoulder. Talk about knowing how to win over the new human staff

Anyway congratulations on the new boy and I can't wait to see pictures!

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I'm lucky in that I can pick up my bengal girl pretty much whenever I want. She won't let me hold her for a long time most of the time but sometimes she's happy to have me carry her around for a bit.

She'll also sometimes settle in my lap for a cuddle although like most bengals if given the choice between play and cuddles she'll pick the play every time
(she's 15 months now)

Like on the first night with her I woke up with her curled up in the space between my neck and shoulder. Talk about knowing how to win over the new human staff

Anyway congratulations on the new boy and I can't wait to see pictures!
Haha-- It sounds like your girl is a sweetheart! She seems like the perfect Bengal personality to me. Playful, but willing to "take your poison" (as I call it) after a long day!! So I assume that she was always like that- even as a kitten?

Nial- I got my boy from Stonehenge in TN, so that does count as down in the "dirty south".
I'm in a vet-debate with my husband right now. There's the vet closest to my house which makes for quick travel, but there are LOTS of big dogs which scare both of my kitties to death, there's the "Cat Clinic" which obviously serves only kitties (big plus) but it's a little far away, and then there's the Banfield Pet Hospital which is super inconvenient BUT has a great health care plan that my husband likes because it is a fixed-cost and encourages us to do things we wouldn't ordinarily do...like dental cleanings. Depending on which one of those we decide on will determine when they will do the neuter, I suppose.

I can't wait to send you guys some pictures when I get home!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leslie301

Nial- I got my boy from Stonehenge in TN, so that does count as down in the "dirty south".
Cool, one of my boys, Loki, is out of a Stonehenge cat. His mom is CH Stonehenge Mismiracle.

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Cool, one of my boys, Loki, is out of a Stonehenge cat. His mom is CH Stonehenge Mismiracle.
Neat, Nial! My kitten is a child of Cedar Ranch Iron Steel x Stonehenge Silver Star Dust. Small world, isn't it? Here are some recent pictures of my baby.... I need to pull some more off my camera.

He is going crazy as we speak! What in the heck did he get into today? A whole lot of sleep, I suppose!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check Banfield's prices compared to your vet. We found them higher in most things
They wanted around $200 to spay our lab - we got her done fine at a low cost place for about $125 - granted it was a bit further, but I couldn't see paying that much for things at Banfield. Even the shots were higher.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Most Vets down here in the south won't/can't/don't want to learn how to do pediatric spay/neuter. If she got her bengal in the Carolinas at 10 weeks old, chances are her breeder couldn't get the neuter done. All 3 of my Vets refuse to neuter/spay earlier than 4 months.
Hi Nial,

I am not sure where in NC you are located, but I know a Ragdoll breeder in Sapphire, NC that has all of her kittens altered early. If that is a distance that you can travel, I would be happy to get her vets information for you. She also may know of other vets in the NC area, due to other Ragdoll breeders in the state, that may be closer to you. If you are interested, let me know and I will contact a few of the Ragdoll NC breeders, and I will find out if they know of a vet around your area that may perform early alters. We have altered our kittens at young as 10 weeks of age, but it depends on the size of the kittens as well, on average it is 11 weeks, and we have a Mom who always gives us very slow maturing kittens, and they don't get altered until between 12-13 weeks, so it just depends on their weight and how well they are eating dry kibble. We have changed our site now to reflect kittens not going home until 13 weeks, as many families were wanting the babies right at 12 weeks of age, and sometimes, they just aren't ready, for various reasons.
Just let me know if you would like the information. Purrs to all!!

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info, everyone.
I'm starting to get a little nervous about my little booger- he is going crazy!! Lots of biting and scratching... I mean, I'm pretty sure that they are play bites and play scratches- but he's definitely much more interested in attacking than he is being held.

Does anyone know if they have any "kittens-gone-wild" that turned out to be laid back lap cats??? He's scaring me! Ahhhhhh! haha

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its more of his age then anything else. Neutering will help him; get him a lot of interactive toys for him to catch (like the fishing rod, laser light, etc.)

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, GoldenKitty- I'm sure you've been through this many more times than I have.
One problem is that I work during the day, so i can't spend as much one-on-one time with him as I'd like.... and since he has a parasite and ear mites, I haven't introduced him to Tina yet. I try to play with him as long as I can in the morning before I go to work and then when I get home, but with a kitten with that much energy- it's rarely enough.

I have a somewhat random question- When I play with him with the fishing rod, he likes it to go fast, right? Well, sometimes this will end up with an accidental smack in the face. He will also run into things while he's chasing it and it sounds like it hits him pretty hard. It doesn't seem to phase him for *too* long, but I do wonder how bad it hurts. When I accidentally hit my hand or leg with the toy, it hurts ME! So- all that being said- do you suspect that he thinks of those accidents as me hurting him or punishing him because he doesn't know the difference? I want to make the game fun for him, but I don't want to keep smacking him in the face, either!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Nikita has always been rather sweet when she's in a cuddle mood but she's also a complete terror that needs to play lots and lots. I need to play with her before I go to work and then again as soon as I get back and if I don't tire her out she'll go and attack my feet etc.

Your kitten is sounding quite normal to me really, I doubt he'll ever be a laidback lapcat. Bengals aren't quite the breed to get for that type of cat. My cat will snuggle with me but that's only after we've played lots and lots. She has calmed down a little bit as she's gotten older but instead she's gotten much bigger and more powerful so she has more physical energy to spend, so to speak.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 Bengals and neither of them are lap cats. They are both sweet and affectionate, but not lap cats. Simba will come and lay beside me and maybe allow a portion of his body on my lap, but he always has to keep his back feet and legs on the chair or couch. Simba has not changed a bit from kittenhood, and he's now 3 years old.

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry, when they play they really play!!! My bengal hadn't been handled much when i got him at 16 weeks old. He was like a wild animal for the first week or 2 i had him. he's now 8 months and is cuddling in my lap as i type!!! I don't know if his behaviour is typical of bengals, as he is my only one, but he is wither cuddly, asleep or super super active play mode. he doesn't have much of an in between. If hes calm all he wants is cuddles - but prefers to come sit on my lap himself rather than me pick him up. When hes playful theres no chance i could make him cuddle - he just has to play!! He just got even more cuddly after i had him neutered at 6 months (which is the standard age here in UK).

I'm sure your boy wil show lots of affection once hes settled down totally!!

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys- I really do appreciate all the help! Rowdy is actually getting a little bit better about his "holding sessions" in the past couple of days. His vet confirmed that his coccidia is now gone (as of this afternoon), so that may have something to do with it.... he might have been uncomfortable in the past and that's why he was a squirmer. Plus.... he's a Bengal kitten and that's what they do!! It was just a moment of terror with all the biting and scratching, but I think he's going to turn out to be a sweet boy, even if he isn't a lap cat.

So what about the smacking him in the face with the toy thing? Do you think he is getting hurt when that happens and perhaps taking it out on me later?