They are still to small!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im a little frustrated right now. Yesterday I took the kittens in to be weighed and theyve gained less then 10 oz. in 2 weeks! They are 9 weeks old now. The three boys wiegh 1lbs. 12 oz. Selena is 1 bs 11oz. Meeka is 1 lbs 8 1/2oz. and Luna only weighs 1 lbs 4 oz. They have to be 2 lbs to get fixed. All the other kittens have passed them up and they are all under 8 weeks. I feel like Im doing something wrong.
Heres a link to pics taken saturday of them. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126943

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IIRC, a good rate of weight gain at that age is 1/2 ounce per day. If they gained 10 ounces in 14 days, it sounds like they're catching up.

Are they all from the same litter? It sounds to me like they're just a little small, but it seems like they're progressing pretty well now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

IIRC, a good rate of weight gain at that age is 1/2 ounce per day. If they gained 10 ounces in 14 days, it sounds like they're catching up.

Are they all from the same litter? It sounds to me like they're just a little small, but it seems like they're progressing pretty well now?
Hmmm lets see. I knw the boys were all 1 lbs 2 weeks ago so I guess they gained 12 oz in 2 weeks. I also remember Luna was 14 1/2 oz. Which means she gained 5 oz? in 2 weeks. I cant remember the other 2 girls let me go check. Ok so Selena gained 11 oz and Meeka gained 9 oz. Should I worry about Luna? Yes they are all from the same litter.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Daphne at 8 weeks, she was just one pound even. Nine days after that, she had gained another whole pound. As long as they are healthy and "normal", I think they are okay. They will catch up - especially with a good caretaker such as you

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

When I adopted Daphne at 8 weeks, she was just one pound even. Nine days after that, she had gained another whole pound. As long as they are healthy and "normal", I think they are okay. They will catch up - especially with a good caretaker such as you
But Ive had them 5 weeks they should be caught up by now! I guess Im to much of a worrier.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

What adorable kittens! I just want to give them all big hugs and kisses!
Thanks. They dont sit still for many hugs and kisses any more thouh.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my 9 week olds are just at 2lbs now i weighed them y/day they could be a few ounces either way though as trying to get them to stand still is not easy lol

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The weights sounds good to me actually... at 8 weeks (first vaccinations) my aby babies were around that weight on avarage.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I agree with Aby - they don't sound too far off - you usually have about a pound per month - and they are close to 2 lbs. You worry too much:

Besides that, they might just be smaller kittens (body wise) or were from a young mother (under 1 yr old). Many young mothers 6-7 months old would have smaller size kittens, because they (moms) are still babies.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I agree with Aby - they don't sound too far off - you usually have about a pound per month - and they are close to 2 lbs. You worry too much:

Besides that, they might just be smaller kittens (body wise) or were from a young mother (under 1 yr old). Many young mothers 6-7 months old would have smaller size kittens, because they (moms) are still babies.
Even if Luna only gained 5 oz. in 2 weeks? Mom is very small and is young estimated at 9 months. Plus she wasnt fed properly she was starving and dehydrated when she came here.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the kitten seem healthy otherwise? If they are playing with each other, not crying too much, then the kitten is probably fine. With a rough start in life and mom not being in best condition, its expected. I'm willing to bet in a few months, those kittens will catch up and wind up normal, healthy kittens. Just give them good quality food

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Does the kitten seem healthy otherwise? . Just give them good quality food
Well Luna is very thin. Her fur is thin and always really ruffed up. She still only nurses. She eats very little regular food.