Can someone please tell Dr. Claw...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That it's okay to climb the kitty palace we have built for them?

He's terrified of it. The other two have taken to it right away, but Dr Claw will look at it and meow at me like it's some sort of monster.

I'm off to figure out how to get him to go on it and not be scared.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting his toys on it? Or rubbing some cat nip on there?

If that doesn't work- I'll bring Harley & Bayley over- they will show him how its done!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Dr. Claw.

Tell him the printer monster is up there, kitties can't resist attacking the printer monster.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor boy! I wonder if he once had a bad experience trying to climb something, as he's declawed he may have slipped or something

I would try putting his favourite toys, treats, and if he likes it, catnip on the tree to see if that entices him to give it a try. Maybe if he sees that his toys are 'safe' there, he may lose some of his fear. How's his fur doing now?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yah I reckon treats or catnip if he likes it! Can you put him on the lower level (if it's multi level) and give him lots of pats and cuddles while he's there to reassure him?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Poor boy! I wonder if he once had a bad experience trying to climb something, as he's declawed he may have slipped or something

I would try putting his favourite toys, treats, and if he likes it, catnip on the tree to see if that entices him to give it a try. Maybe if he sees that his toys are 'safe' there, he may lose some of his fear. How's his fur doing now?
Poor guy; yeah, this does sound like a possiblity.

Maybe put the toys down low where he can go over and get them back by batting them off first so he can do the approaching castle-monster in tiny stages? Maybe put up a plate of his favourite treat on the lowest shelf?

I don't know. Poor Dr. Claw.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he is just trying to induce you to lift him up and down.

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definately break out the catnip and toys. It also helps if you use an interactive toy like a wand or string. Whan my cats got their first tower, they didn't know what to do. Now every time they get a new one, they're all over it before it's unpacked. He may also be put off by the others taking it over before he got to investigate. Maybe someone could play with the other cats while you entice Dr. Claw onto the tower. Once he learns he too can stake a claim on it the fur should fly.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you make a little "handicat" ramp so that he can walk up to the first level?
Maybe that will help him , if he is a bit timid about jumping!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried honeysuckle spray on the kitty palace? Mine go nuts when i spray it on their cat tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Poor guy; yeah, this does sound like a possiblity.

Maybe put the toys down low where he can go over and get them back by batting them off first so he can do the approaching castle-monster in tiny stages? Maybe put up a plate of his favourite treat on the lowest shelf?

I don't know. Poor Dr. Claw.
The treats thing may work, I'll have to try that.

Originally Posted by adymarie

Maybe he is just trying to induce you to lift him up and down.
He hates being picked up. He'll meow a complaint everytime it happens.

Originally Posted by minxie

Have you tried honeysuckle spray on the kitty palace? Mine go nuts when i spray it on their cat tree.
Now, if they react to cat nip will they react to honeysuckel?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonka is the same way. He will stay in the bottom of the condo but won't go to the top.

Matter of fact, I've never seen him on anything higher then my bed

Maybe it is because they're declawed?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so sad about the declawed cats. They're missing out on all the fun of climbing.

As for honeysuckle, some cats react to it, others don't; I don't think it has to do with if they like catnip or not.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor boy
As someone suggested earlier it might have to do with him not having any claws and had a bad experience with falling.

Perhaps try putting a small stool or box that is a 1/2 the height of the lowest level of the tree so that he can ease himself up with steps and not have to jump?

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so sad about the declawed cats. They're missing out on all the fun of climbing.
When i was in Germany, I cat sat several declawed cats for friends. They did not have any trouble making it to the top of the tower. They did wait a while probably because they weren't in their own territory and didn't know my cat very well. Once they got comfortable, they climbed everything and would even "scratch" the various pads and posts just like my cats.

If the cause of him not climbing is that he took a bad fall before, build his confidence. When I first got Dusty he was very self conscious. If he fell or missed a jump he would get embarressed, stop what he was doing then got eat. With persistence he learned not to take things so hard and doesn't behave that way anymore. If Dr Claw gets on the tower and has a mishap, it's very important to immediately entice him right back on. Try getting him really wound up first so he's less likely to hesitate.