Does Pogue have a Bladder Infection?

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sweet little 5 months old boy has started doing something strange. He meows 2-3 times when he uses his litter box. I have run over there to determine if its when he's having a bowel movement, or urinating, but I haven't been quite quick enough to see. I am almost 90% sure its when he is urinating though.

He has none of the other symptoms of a BI or UTI. He does not pee randomly or more often than what I'd consider normal. He is happy, energetic, and playful all the time.

He eats wet food in the morning and evening, that is watered down into a "stew" and mixed with Lysine and a Feline Fiber supplement (mornings only for that.) He also drinks a healthy amount of water each day, from what I can tell by the levels in the bowl when I pick it up to change in the mornings.

A little background on his medical history...He has had Giardia his whole life, and after two months of treating it, we think we've finally licked it. (he has his final fecal exam next week.) He also has an upper respiratory issue that the vet is tracking, but not medicating for yet.

Does his toidy-meowing sound like he's having urinary problems, or is he just trying out his vocal sounds? He does meow quite randomly through out the house all the time. We go to find out what's wrong, and he's just sitting there doing nothing.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Boog's Mom

I am almost 90% sure its when he is urinating though.
If I had to bet, I would bet on the 10% chance that he's doing it when he's pooing rather than peeing.

Just based on his age, history, and my experiences with my cats.

I live with and have lived with cats who have bladder issues. None of mine vocalized in the box...the other classic signs were present, though. Different cats have different quirks, though.

My Paisley has occasional pooing problems, and she does vocalize in the box sometimes.

Is it possible the fiber is too much for him now that you have the giardia conquered? How are his stools now?

He could just be talking for the heck of it, like you said. It's hard to tell.

When I can't manage to watch them in the box (some won't let me!) I just scoop more often than normal, so that I can inspect the "evidence" they leave behind...and I know it's fresh and it's theirs...because I saw them go in there. I hope that makes sense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

When I can't manage to watch them in the box (some won't let me!) I just scoop more often than normal, so that I can inspect the "evidence" they leave behind...and I know it's fresh and it's theirs...because I saw them go in there. I hope that makes sense.
Thats the next step. I'm cleaning it twice a day, and "hoping" to be home when the next noisy episode comes. Hopefully we'll know for sure soon. If not, then when he sees the vet next week, we'll have some tests done.

I wondered if it was a #2 problem too. The vet says that the fiber actually makes it easier for them to go, but just moves things through faster. I wondered though, since he's basically had diarrhea since birth, if having normal firm stools is something his little hind-end isn't used to.