You know you made a good dinner when...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You husband is still talking about it at breakfast!

Last night we had mussels in white wine and garlic bread. I swear this dish isn't hard and it will make you look like a rock star when you are done.

You will need: 2 pounds of mussels, half a stick of butter, a little over one cup of dry white wine, three cloves of garlic, and one fresh tomato.

Step one: Clean the mussels in a sink full of cold water. If any are open or cracked you'll need to toss them. Remove any beards and barnacles from the outside. They need to be closed tightly to be okay to cook.

Step two. Dump the wine and garlic into a big pot and set it to boil. This should only take a few moments because there isn't much of it.

Step three: Dump the mussels into the wine and put the lid on. Cook for 8 minutes. You'll need to adjust the heat along the way, because the liquid may boil over.

Step four. After they are done, remove the mussels from the liquid. Don't dump anything out. Once the mussels are gone drop in the butter and cook for another minute or two.

Step five. Cut up the tomato and put it in the bottom of the bowl for the liquid. Dump the broth on top.

To serve: Place out mussels, garlic bread and broth. Eat. You won't talk too much.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but it sounds like he loved it!
It always makes me feel good when I make good meals like that too & John talks about it til the next day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

That doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but it sounds like he loved it!
It always makes me feel good when I make good meals like that too & John talks about it til the next day!
Shell fish is tricky too cook because of allergy and because it can look slightly gross. Trust me, if you've never tried it before do it, you won't be sorry.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mmmm...I Love Mussels

We order them a lot when we go out to eat and I've made them a few times at home too. My kids beg me to make mussels and steamer clams for them too!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Shell fish is tricky too cook because of allergy and because it can look slightly gross. Trust me, if you've never tried it before do it, you won't be sorry.
Hmmm.... maybe I'll have to come to your place for dinner some night then!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rhiannon

The problem with that dish is that, even though it tastes fine, I hate the smell it leaves in the house!
Humm... it didn't smell. Then again you are talking to the girl who used to go to the fish monger with her Dad as a kid. Now that smelled.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, lookingglass. I love seafood so I'm going to have to try that. One of my favorites is clams in red sauce at one of the Chickie's & Pete's in Philadelphia. Mmmmm......*drool*

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all seafood, but especially mussels. We get wonderful ones here in Normandy. Sometimes I cook them in wine with cream and garlic, sometimes I stuff the bigger ones with breadcrumbs and parsley, sometimes I just steam them. Always delicious!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mussels: Very Yum!
Also clams, swimming scallops. Rob loves it when I get a whole mess of any of those and serve them like that.