Karma needs to stay with friends for a few days...

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So the owner of our building is going to be installing new windows in out apartment Tuesday and Wednsday. We are not allowed to have cats and for the last year and a half we have had no issues with her. But because of the windows we will be sending her to a friends house on Monday and picking her up Wens night. She knows the people whe will be staying with. Before we adopted her, she was a stay in the neighborhood, the were feeding and caring for her. They love her just as much as we do and are excited to get to spend some time with her again. They live right across from us in a different building so we can visit often.

What I want to know is what can I do to make her feel comphortable? We will be packing her and overnight bag. It will have her bed, food and water bowls, some of her favorite toys, her favorite wet food treats and dryfood, plus a couple of tshirts that belong to my DH and I. The shirts will be taken out of the dirty laundry so they will have our sent. We can't afford to buy feliway now, I know that would help with stress gut it is not an option. What else can we do? Has anyone else had to send their furbaby on an overnight? How did they handle it?

Luckely when our landlord needs access to our unit he has to give 24 hour notice so we can move her if needed.

Calming vibes will also help for all of us too. Its going to be a couple of lonely nights.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless there are other cats in the house, she should be just fine. She may be reticent for the first day, or if she's naturally very shy could hide in a corner somewhere, but if she knows the people is less likely to do so and it sounds like you're doing everything right. A few days won't make a huge difference to anything in the end, and if her feeding schedule (and food) are unchanged, I wouldn't worry about a thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They do not have any other pets of any kind. She is a shy kitty because of her background, but she does know them. Thats why we asked them. When ever they come over for dinner she is always really friendly and loving to them. I think its because she remembers that they tried to help her before we came along. They were so worried about her before they found out we had adopted her. I remember them telling us about this cute little kitty that they had been feeding and watching over. Thay told us how she suddenly stopped coming buy. We asked them what she looked like and when they told us we said oh thats our Karma. They came over right away and said yup thats her. They were so happy to find out that she had a forever home. I just hope that they let us have her back. They are so excited to have her its funny. I hope this makes them realize that they need a cat. Thay are allowed cats so maybe by spending a few days with her will make them go and adopt one of their own.

I will be telling them her feeding schedual and everything. Luckely with my work schedual I will be able to be there for the feedings. So that won't change much. She really does not like to eat when I am not around so I will be going to at least feed her. I just hope she sleeps okay and is not to much of a crazy kitty. She has a tendensy to get a bit nuts.

I also do not want her to feel like we have given her up. She has some attachment issues and I don't want her to think we do not love her any more. I to have some attachment issues with her. Just the thought of not having her here whne I wake up or get home from work makes me want to cry. I hope we all can make it through this.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since its only for a few days, I would strongly advise your friend to confine her to one room, rather then let her loose. She may hide on them or be difficult to catch. If she seems relaxed and confident, then let her out in the house.

If I was keeping someone's cat temporary (few days) they would be confined to one room.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Unless there are other cats in the house, she should be just fine. She may be reticent for the first day, or if she's naturally very shy could hide in a corner somewhere, but if she knows the people is less likely to do so and it sounds like you're doing everything right. A few days won't make a huge difference to anything in the end, and if her feeding schedule (and food) are unchanged, I wouldn't worry about a thing.
I completely agree. I think you have thought of everything! We had to leave our old cat at a friend's house before and she was fine. She was scared at first and hid for a while. But then she slowly came out and was fine. Your cat will only be there a couple of days so she will do just fine! She might be scared at first but it will be okay! I understand how you would be worried about her though! When we go on vacations I think about my cat often and hope he's okay, but when we come home he is always fine!