I've Been Excommunicated!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you read that right. I started playing Medieval II Total War last night and as quickly as today I was unjustly excommunicated by the Pope!! He did it because I was attacking my fellow Christians. LOL...they started it, I was just defending myself. Man, talk about dirty pool.

This is a good game but I'm so used to Rome Total War that I don't know what to make of it yet. Religion plays a HUGE part in this game if your playing as one of catholic factions, which is pretty much all of Europe. Not only do you get assigned missions from your own Council of Nobles but you also get assigned missions from the Pope, including having to join crusades, which you have to complete to stay in his favor. The game also has priests and cardinals to spread influence (as well as Imams). You also have to use them to defeat heretics and witches. There are also inquisitors. You can also join crusades or a jihad.

This a new development for me. I'm used to conquering unmercifully rather than worrying about diplomacy. It's also a bad idea in this game to exterminate the populace of a settlement because it negatively affects your chivalry rating. Ah, how I long for the glory days of the Roman Empire.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...yay, I've been reconciled. Of course, this only happened after my capital was taken in a siege and my faction leader was killed.

I can't properly play this game until I'm able to upgrade my RAM. The minimum needed for this game is 512MB, which is exactly what I have on this system. I can't command the actual battles and have to leave it to the computer to decide or the game runs too slow. I can upgrade to 2GB so that's what I'll do here soon. The video card was upgraded last night and the game needs to run through the DVD drive instead of a regular ole CD-rom drive.

I'd play as the English rather than the Holy Roman Empire (*sigh* still missing the glory days of Rome) but the wife is Scottish and she wouldn't like it too much if I took Scotland over. I don't feel like sleeping in the yard.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol just bulid them a church or 2 and you will be fine!!!

never played that, i have it here, never opened the box

hehe hmm so the wife is Scottish ? hmm tell her you need to save the mutton or something.

Well if you take over you could have one or two or mother scottish gf. and being the king is still a good thing

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"He did it because I was attacking my fellow Christians. LOL...they started it, I was just defending myself. Man, talk about dirty pool."

"I'm used to conquering unmercifully rather than worrying about diplomacy. It's also a bad idea in this game to exterminate the populace of a settlement because it negatively affects your chivalry rating. Ah, how I long for the glory days of the Roman Empire."

(sorry, don't know how to do multiple quotes!)

I know nothing about these games and don't plan on learning, but I love your posts about them

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

lol just bulid them a church or 2 and you will be fine!!!

never played that, i have it here, never opened the box

hehe hmm so the wife is Scottish ? hmm tell her you need to save the mutton or something.

Well if you take over you could have one or two or mother scottish gf. and being the king is still a good thing
Hehe...I have a church in each territory as well as priests and a cardinal (who has kicked butt on two out of three heretics). I decided to start another game and am using the English but I have a truce with Scotland. Instead I've been taking over a bunch of rebel settlements, which has been working out nicely. One is enough, Bruce. Don't want to make her mad.

I earned major brownie points from the Pope after completing a crusade to take Jerusalem.

Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I know nothing about these games and don't plan on learning, but I love your posts about them
Thanks, Bonnie. Ah, it's all about relaxing and having fun. Since I'm laid up for the time being I don't really have anything better to do. Figure I'll play and make goofy posts about my exploits. I do have a 10 am doctor appointment, maybe I should start to consider getting a couple of hours sleep before I go.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Darn that diplomacy. Ruins the fun for everyone.
Yeah!! I can be diplomatic but prefer, shall we say, aggressive negotation.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you pull a Henry the VIII on the Pope and create your own church?

Or is that in Renaissance Total War

I'll have to check that game out. Sounds like fun.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Can you pull a Henry the VIII on the Pope and create your own church?

Or is that in Renaissance Total War

I'll have to check that game out. Sounds like fun.
Nope, you're not allowed to completely knock off the Pope in this game. If you would happen to take over the Papal States the Pope would move to a different territory and start over. Besides, if you would happen to attack a Papal State I'm sure that the Pope would not only excommunicate your faction but you find yourself on the not so nice end of a crusade.

Originally Posted by ClaireBear

You lost me...I've never played that game. Sounds like fun though.
Quite good fun, and time consuming.

Originally Posted by silentNate

Tsk... I look forward to the day that you get Civilization IV: Warlords Expansion Pack, then I can advise
LOL...that will probably be the next game I get. I don't very well with the Civ games. Seems like the AI players always get the good resources to construct the more powerful units. Trying to stop tanks with musketeers doesn't end up going too well.