constipated kitty

jeza921

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty has been dragging her butt on the carpet, so I took her to the vet maybe two weeks ago. Anal glands are fine, they gave her a de-wormer. About a week later I've noticed she's constipated... she's eating less and she goes in the litter box, strains, produces a small poo, gets out and walks around for a minute, then goes back in the litter box. This may also be due to the fact that I've added Wellness wet recently (a tablespoon once a day- very little). BUT her usual food, Science Diet Hairball Lite is LOADED with fiber, so perhaps her system doesn't know what to do with less fiber. (She's still eating the SD, I added the Wellness for some extra nutrition because I also put her on a diet).

Any remedies for constipation? I'm also giving her corsequin for her arthritis.

Thanks!

edit: I should also add that she is not bloated; her stomach is supple. And she is still pooing... just not comfortably.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Due to the cosequin call the vet ... I use sweet potato ... sometimes a bit of oil will do the trick

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain old canned pumpkin will help. I give this to my cat who's also on cosequin for her arthritis, and it really helps. Be sure to get plain canned pumpkin, NOT the pumpkin pie filling.

Stephanie

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For constipation, you can tried the canned pumpkin as someone else suggested, also metimucl added to wet food, and there was some other natural remedy, but I forget what.
I would definatly call the vet. My Jordan has constipation problems (because of Mega Colon) and has to have stool softner every day. When I took him to the vet his poor little tummy was full of hard stool and had to have an enima.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other thing you can try is psyllium fiber. Use 1/2 t per day. I have not tried this, but a friend did recommend it if the pumpkin didn't work for us.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A preventative measure I would suggest looking into would be to eliminate the dry food. While the fiber in the Hairball food can be helpful, the lack of moisture can be a deal breaker.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

The other thing you can try is psyllium fiber. Use 1/2 t per day. I have not tried this, but a friend did recommend it if the pumpkin didn't work for us.
that's what i use for raven and stimpy. they get 1/8 tsp of psyllium husk fiber mixed into 2 wet meals. it keeps them regular. otherwise they get constipated.
high fiber dry foods make it worse. we use a low fiber dry food, and it's not the majority of their diet.

when they get bored of psyllium (which they do every so often) i use gerber/beechnut squash or sweet potato.