Wire biting....Plz help

L

larks

We have 3 cats but only our youngest 6 month old one keeps biting wires. I've tried tieing the wires closer together so less straddley, shouting at her and taps on the head BUT she just ignores me and goes straight back to it. I even try to play with her when shes does in case its an attention thing but she just ignores the toys and back to the wires.
Any ideas like anything i could put over the wires to deter or something?
Its getting to be very frustrating as shes in my room alot and I have a PC which is alot of wires

Thanks for any advice

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I heard everything form bitter apple spray to hot sacue.. the latter did not work on my moms cat she loves spicy hot food,

I did use ivory soap once on my cords around the house never had a chewed wire sense.
I think it all boils down to what you cat does not like flavor wise or smellwise and using it, provided it's not harmfull to kitty.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make a flexible cover that you can put over cables to keep them organized. The one I am thinking about looks like a smaller version of the vaccum/sweeper tubing. It opens up so you can put the cables inside. I have seen it used to keep puppies and kitties away fom the cords.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

They make a flexible cover that you can put over cables to keep them organized. The one I am thinking about looks like a smaller version of the vaccum/sweeper tubing. It opens up so you can put the cables inside. I have seen it used to keep puppies and kitties away fom the cords.
This is exactly what I have had to use on my cords. Maggie is a cord chewer and nothing (bitter apple, Tabasco sauce and soap) worked to deter her. I found a place where I could buy it in bulk...and in just about any color in the rainbow! http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html Every cord that is within reach of her teeth is covered with this corrugated cord cover! It isn't real high on style points, but....oh well. At least she isn't getting electrocuted!!!

Pookie & the girls

cntrygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have wrapped foil around my cords and my kitties were quite reluctant to chew them again....

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larks

We have 3 cats but only our youngest 6 month old one keeps biting wires. I've tried tieing the wires closer together so less straddley, shouting at her and taps on the head BUT she just ignores me and goes straight back to it. I even try to play with her when shes does in case its an attention thing but she just ignores the toys and back to the wires.
Any ideas like anything i could put over the wires to deter or something?
Its getting to be very frustrating as shes in my room alot and I have a PC which is alot of wires

Thanks for any advice
I haven't found anything that works reliably. I've tried everything, and it doesn't matter how we discipline him, he always comes back for more.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found smearing undiluted fairy liquid along the length of the wires (suggested by my vet) stopped Radar from doing this when he was little - they don't like the smell or taste of it. Once I'd done this, Radar went to the wires, had a sniff, pulled a face, and left them alone after that!

Also most of them grow out of it, at 6 months old they are still teething and the desire to chew things does diminish once they have their full set of adult teeth and are used to them at around 8 months, so you don't have too much longer to go

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use that stuff that you put on your nails to stop you biting them.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

This is the only thing that's worked for Hemmy. He's terrible about it. He destroyed a computer monitor before we discovered his nasty habit. I'm thankful he didn't kill himself. We've got plastic tubes everywhere in the house.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had this problem with my male kitty....he was about to bite right through my TV cables!

All I had to do was wrap a soft cloth around it and he seemed to forget all about it.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
L

larks

Thank you all, good to know it wont be forever.