Grains & Fruit/Veggies

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the big arguments around for giving cats a grainless cat food is that cats are obligate carnivores, and their digestive systems just aren't built to handle grains. On that same note, how are fruits and veggies better? I don't know anything about what it takes to digest these. They also seem to be a popular ingredient in a lot of grainless cat foods... peas, carrots, potatoes, cranberries, spinach, tomatoes, apples, blueberries, etc. Are fruits and veggies something cats would eat in the wild?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes a cat would in the wild consume prey that ate fruits and veggies and they also eat a small smount on there own/// we are talking like 5% so NO there isnt a reason for 10 fruit s and veggies in a bag .... But one or two is mimicing a natural diet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I assume cats would also eat prey that consumed grains like wheat, corn, rice, etc. Do they eat any grains on their own? If grains were kept in low quantity, would that also mimic a natural diet?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes in a low quanity they too would
.... wheat is the most likely consumed on a prarie ...

noelle&oliver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how much (if any) they would consume on their own in the wild, but the animals they eat do consume them. It would be a very small amount, and since the grains/plants would be partially digested in the stomach of their prey, it would be much easier for the cat to digest the rest.

The biggest problem with grains in the commercial food is that companies use them as the main protein source, rather than animal based protein. We all know that some grains have excellent protein quality, but not for an obligate carnivore. Simply stated, they just aren't designed to metabolize large amounts of plant based protein. As a result, many cats fed on a primary diet of grains become overweight. They don't use grains for energy sources, like humans do, so they are just stored as fat. They use protein and fat as energy sources, which makes sense because the animals they are eat comprised of meat and fat.

The fruits and veggies added to the diet of some commercial foods aren't added to be a protein source. They are added for overall bulk, and because they do have some minerals and nutrients that can be helpful.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Noelle&Oliver

I'm not sure how much (if any) they would consume on their own in the wild, but the animals they eat do consume them. It would be a very small amount, and since the grains/plants would be partially digested in the stomach of their prey, it would be much easier for the cat to digest the rest.

The biggest problem with grains in the commercial food is that companies use them as the main protein source, rather than animal based protein. We all know that some grains have excellent protein quality, but not for an obligate carnivore. Simply stated, they just aren't designed to metabolize large amounts of plant based protein. As a result, many cats fed on a primary diet of grains become overweight. They don't use grains for energy sources, like humans do, so they are just stored as fat. They use protein and fat as energy sources, which makes sense because the animals they are eat comprised of meat and fat.

The fruits and veggies added to the diet of some commercial foods aren't added to be a protein source. They are added for overall bulk, and because they do have some minerals and nutrients that can be helpful.
I realize you are trying to help ... BUT the majority of us on here have DONE research on nutrition and wouldnt really need your commentary that has little to do with what is asked

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's ok.

Although my question was specifically about digestion, the intent of the question was to find out more about why fruits and veggies are in cat food. I didn't really make it clear that I realized they were not in there as a protein source.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

It's ok.

Although my question was specifically about digestion, the intent of the question was to find out more about why fruits and veggies are in cat food. I didn't really make it clear that I realized they were not in there as a protein source.

Food companys use them since most of us think that there a great addition...lol... from what I have read fiber is the best thing... Yes cranberry can be an aid in UTI health but not alot of nutrients are left after something is essentially steamed and was about 1% of the overall raw product
... Grains are used as binder much of the time... Remember the first six or sevan ingrediants make up 90% of the bag and if a meal is first it likely makes up 25-30 % if the package