Low Platelets

melindar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have recently found out that Butters has low platelets (they are down to around 130). They've done a test on her for feline lukiema (sp?) and it came out negative. My next option is 3 more tests to narrow down the reason for her problem. I'm a little torn as to what test to do next. There's the tick parasite test. BTW she's 100% indoor cat. There's also the autoimmune disease. And I think the last one is to x-ray her and check out her inner organs. The vet sent out the blood she had drawn today to see if the lab can see anything abnormal with her platelets.
She put her on Prednisone (don't think I spelled that right) until we can get some more tests run. The vet said the last time we put her on it (about a month ago) she barely responded to the meds.

Anyone had to deal with this problem before? Any advise as to what to I'm up against? Also, what questions do I need to ask my vet?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does the rest of her CBC look like....hemoglobin and hematocrit, as well as WBC's? If these are normal, it could just be that her platelets clumped on the blood draw and it just appears that her platelets are low, when they actually could be near normal. Cleo's blood draws nearly always show low platelets, but at the bottom of the page there is the following notation: "PLT aggregates detected", which means that the platelets clumped in this particular specimen.

What is going on with her that you are doing blood tests? Prednisone is used to stimulate red blood cell production (RBC's.) Is her hemoglobin/hematocrit low? Prednisone has no effect on platelets. There are medications which are far more effective than Prednisone at stimulating red blood cell production. My parent's CRF kitty, Samson, was on Epogen for life threatening non-regenerative anemia. We brought his hemoglobin up from a critical low of 3.5 to a near normal 12.2 within 4 weeks on Epogen (erythropoientin.) We gave him nearly a full year of good quality life with the Epogen shots.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ticks could still get on your cat even if its indoors, however, I would be more worried about getting the ex-rays and the test for autoimmune disease done first.
Personally, I would do the ex-rays first, but if your planning on doing both tests within a short period of time, I don't think it matters too much.
You should discus with your vet about what tests you should do first. I know he recommened all three, but if money is an issue, or any other reason why all three tests cannot be done right away, then I'm sure he'll suggest the test that he feels if more important.
Good luck!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, Prednisone does increase the platelet count. It is a first line treatment in most cases, while the root cause is determined. Though the lab work is usually repeated first to rule out lab error.

Though the count is low, it is still high enough to allow clotting.
Our human patients are alowed to participate in all activities, except contact sports, will a platlet count of 100,000 or better.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Actually, Prednisone does increase the platelet count. It is a first line treatment in most cases, while the root cause is determined. Though the lab work is usually repeated first to rule out lab error.

Though the count is low, it is still high enough to allow clotting.
Our human patients are alowed to participate in all activities, except contact sports, will a platlet count of 100,000 or better.
Thanks for the clarification. After reading your response, I Googled it out of curiosity...and you are correct. Prednisone does increase platelets...it also increases platelet life. I was unaware of that use for Prednisone. I had always thought of it as a treatment for anemia. I'm so sorry...I try very hard to not be the source of mis-information.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked for a Oncologist/Hemotologist for many years. He taught me a lot more than I learned in nursing school - and I read constantly because things change so much.
I am not always up on the newest meds - and even the most reliable sites don't list the off-label uses for meds (things the docs prescribe them for for but haven't received FDA approval to list as a use).
You all are always teaching me more about my fur baby. And I appreciate that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melindar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never actually been given a copy of the CBC that they did on her. Yesterday would have been the 3rd time that they drew blood and the platelets were low, so I don't think its because of the draw (that's actually the reason they did it the 2nd time).

The vet said that the most popular reason for why cats get this is because of ticks. I told her she never goes outside (she has NO desire to go outside). I was thinking about doing the test for the autoimmune disease first and then do the x-rays and last the tick test. Money is a bit of a problem this is why I'm doing one test at a time instead of the all of them right away (its almost $600 after the stuff they did yesterday and the 3 tests they still needed to do).

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she having other symptoms? As someone else asked, why did you have her blood drawn the first time? Routine baseline bloodwork, or was/is she sick?

If she was my kitty, her other symptoms in conjuction with the low platelets would help me determine which test to run first.

The tick borne disease your vet is most likely referring to is Ehrlichiosis. It has a myriad of other symptoms, such as anemia, anorexia, fevers, and weight loss. It is a serious life threatening illness.

There is a great site, Cornell consultant (do a web search for this) that will let you pick a species, put in symptoms and then it will list all the possible causes and what other symptoms are also associated. Sometimes it can really help to sort out unusual cases and give an idea of what direction to take the testing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melindar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had her blood drawn for her yearly check up. She doesn't seem to be showing any of the signs that come with all of this (the vet asked me a bunch of questions to try and pin point the problem before doing more blood work). She isn't vomiting, not lathargic, not loosing any weight, I don't see any bruises.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they say anything about the coagulation of the blood? Because recently my Joey had to have a transfusion of platelets because his bloood was not coagulating, Cancer has been ruled out and they are thinking some immune disease...and like your kitty...no outward signs

I hope they figure out what's going on with your baby soon