Went rifle shooting today!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haven't had the chance to go shooting in over a year, but I'm glad I went today. Had a blast. Got to shoot an AR-15, and had so much fun I ran through 100 rounds and now my shoulder's cussing at me.

Anyone else a shooter here?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to learn how to shoot, but I think my hubby is afraid to teach me
! We just moved to the country and have minor things like coyotes, mountain lions, bears...we even have a black panther spotted in the woods. I thought they were only in the zoo, or somewhere in africa! I don't think I could actually shot anything, I just want to know enough so I could fire a .22 in the air to scare them off and not kill myself! Of course, if a coyote attacking the barn cats or one of the goats...who knows.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

! We just moved to the country and have minor things like coyotes, mountain lions, bears...we even have a black panther spotted in the woods. I thought they were only in the zoo, or somewhere in africa! I don't think I could actually shot anything, I just want to know enough so I could fire a .22 in the air to scare them off and not kill myself! Of course, if a coyote attacking the barn cats or one of the goats...who knows.
well yea, that is rule one, never teach the enemy in this case women how to shoot

just kidding, i remember hearing someone on the gun range say that once.
i have seen big cats in WVA serveral times and came accross there tracks a few times when i was young. But from what my uncle says those along with bears and coyote are really coming back, lol and i guess from what i have been told people are complining that wolves are back also. But the state said they did not add a wolf.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a firearms instructor, and love to shoot. AR15 doesn't have any kick to speak of, did you shoot a shotgun too?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lakeriedog

I am a firearms instructor, and love to shoot. AR15 doesn't have any kick to speak of, did you shoot a shotgun too?
yea, was thinking the same thing.
i guess its what you get used to

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Sounds like you really should learn to shoot...a 22 rifle would be a good place to start, and then move up to a larger caliber rifle. I have never been a hunter, but a 12 guage shotgun capable of firing rifled slugs might be better if you have to take down a mountain lion or bear.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

yea, was thinking the same thing.
i guess its what you get used to
Well could be you are sore just from the physical exertion of shouldering the rifle, or maybe you have something going on with your shoulder???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lakeriedog

Nope, just the AR. Actually I was pretty surprised by the recoil, comparable to a 20 gauge shotgun. I used to shoot M-16's all the time when I was in ROTC and those had no recoil whatsoever. Report was LOUD. I think it might be because it didn't have a muzzle brake on it (just a crowned muzzle).

Haha, or it could be I just got used to shooting .22LR's.

The range I went to had a ton of training courses (some pretty in depth). Might be worth looking into if there's a range near you that offers training. I think ranges generally like women shooters too! Very supportive of them.