Old cat freaked out by new kitten...

elphie529

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently brought a new kitten into my mother's house (I only stay here in the summer). She's only 7-weeks old, and I got her from a humane society. My mother's cat, who is about 3 years old has no trouble with our dog (Spinoni) who was about 2 when we got her, but she hates the new kitten. She hisses and growls and backs the kitten into corners, refusing to allow it near her. She's even being a bit stand-offish with all of us. Searching for a solution I saw all the posts about keeping them separate, but I don't know how plausible that is... and even if I could find a room for her to stay in, is it too late since they've been introduced? Please help!!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello! Do the separation thing, and introduce them s l o w l y. Both cats will be happy if you do the separation thing. The older cat was there first and bringing home another cat is cutting in on the older cats territory. Cats are very territorial.

I brought in a stray (my other cat was the ONLY cat in the house for 8 years) and the older cat was not happy at all. They eat separately and sleep separately. After one year, the older cat still does not like the stray. But, I have to admit, she does not hiss, growl or attack the stray anymore. The poor stray was petrified of my older cat at first and was happy not being near her!

I gave them both equal amounts of attention. I always had the 'talk' with my older cat how I did not like her behavior, sometimes I had to give the older cat a timeout.

It's been a year now and things are much better.

lechatnoir

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Hello! Do the separation thing, and introduce them s l o w l y. Both cats will be happy if you do the separation thing. The older cat was there first and bringing home another cat is cutting in on the older cats territory. Cats are very territorial.

I brought in a stray (my other cat was the ONLY cat in the house for 8 years) and the older cat was not happy at all. They eat separately and sleep separately. After one year, the older cat still does not like the stray. But, I have to admit, she does not hiss, growl or attack the stray anymore. The poor stray was petrified of my older cat at first and was happy not being near her!

I gave them both equal amounts of attention. I always had the 'talk' with my older cat how I did not like her behavior, sometimes I had to give the older cat a timeout.

It's been a year now and things are much better.
I have had similiar experiences, keeping them seperate (as much as possible) helps A LOT!!!

They may never be best friends, but at least the hissing and growling will cease. I have a senior feline, and she makes my spry alley cat feel bad for coming near when all he wants to do is play. After a few weeks she stopped hiding and growling!
With time they can co-exist in the same room!

You can also try the feline pheromone spray ( about $12) at the pet store.
Good luck! Time is your friend here!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the site, some great advise already given and I agree with.

Dont worry its not too late - I am still working on introducing a stray to my household and he's been with us over 2 mths
but that only cos he's a bit of a fighter and torments one of my younger cats, so I am taking things a lot slower than usual. He wasn't neutered when he arrived so we have had that done, which has slowed him down a bit....

Cats just need to get to know each other bit by bit
they newbie will have smelt all a bit strange to the existing cat and of course, it will have seen the newbie as a threat to the territory. Newbie will have been all confused about its new surroundings - a bit like first day at school for kids

I think it is best to dedicate a room for the newbie - it doesn't have to be a fancy place, but as long as it is safe, warm and has all the necessary things for a cats needs, it will be fine and they do settle into a routine quickly.

Routines are important.

I kept to a strict bedtime for my terror Teddy, he always went to bed at 10.30-10.45 I got him to go there with a treat of kibble, just rattled his bowl and he soon got the hang of it. I stayed with him to settle him in the 1st few weeks that he was with us but he soon knew the routine.

I alway fed all my cat together at the same time - but Teddy's was a bit away from the other as I didn't want to upset their routine either. If he tried to get the other cats food, I just gentle picked him up and moved him back to his bowl. If he finished I then let him go outside - all my cat are indoor/outdoors

If Teddy got into any squabbles he had time out - not as a punishment . just some quiet time. I'd never shout, but just calmly and firmly say NO, pick him up and take him to his room, again he soon knew and used to run onto his bed. I'd let him out after an hour or so and all would be calm again

Well food time is a lot less stressed now as Teddy realises he is going to get fed
hes calmer cos he's been neutered but he still has quiet times now and then.

Well sorry to ramble, but I thought relating my experiences would help.

I am sure you can come up with some solutions and with a bit of effort and patience I things will settle

keep us posted