Need Advice

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a tuxedo cat coming around. Bijou doesn't try to hurt it. He just sits a ways away from it. The cat is very friendly but in bad shape. It was on the deck earlier this afternoon and I got some food for it. When I talked to it, he/she meowed softly to me. I put the dish down and the cat was not the least bit afraid of me. I petted it while it ate. It will also come to me when I call it. It has a lot of fur clumps and is very thin (it never budged while I felt it all over). This same cat has been coming around since last summer but it never looked this bad before.

I want to help this poor kitty. I have some nurse's scissors (with the blunt bottom blade) and would like to try to cut out some of the clumps. The poor thing doesn't even seem to stand up straight and I fear it is in great discomfort.

I bought some diatomaceous earth and wonder if I could put some of that on the cat after I cut out some of the clumps in case it has fleas which I'm guessing the poor thing does.

It is a very sweet natured cat and I believe it must have been owned by someone and they've either just let it go or it is lost. I plan to call our local human society tomorrow since they were closed today and I couldn't get anyone. I feel so bad for this sweet kitty. John doesn't want it hanging around but I told him I can't just leave it in this condition.

OK - long story but my question is, can I use some of the diatomaceous earth directly on the kitty?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as it is human grade you absolutely can!!

Heres a web site with more info on it for others who may be interested in it .........
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

That poor sweet kitty is so lucky to come across you. It obviously has had a rough time, if last year you saw him/her and now he/she is worse. Thank You for the help you will give. She/He is probably desperately reaching out to you

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing....... what I have done in the past is take a little in my fingertips and start rubbing into their skin. Its ok if they lick it because it will help with internal parasites as well as fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Another thing....... what I have done in the past is take a little in my fingertips and start rubbing into their skin. Its ok if they lick it because it will help with internal parasites as well as fleas.
Thanks for the quick replies. I do have the human grade because I got it for ants and didn't want the kitties to be harmed.

I'm hoping this kitty will be hungry enough to come to me again tomorrow and I'll be ready with the food and scissors and the earth. I don't think I'll sleep much tonight because I'm so concerned for this little one. It hurts me to see how this sweet animal could be so alone.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are very welcome.......... I will certainly send vibes and prayers for this little sweet one. All you can do is what you can do and just hope for the best. Please keep us updated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wont swore on it, but as I read about the diaceatoms, the human grade earth can be eaten. It will then take also the internal parasites. Ie intestinal worms.

If correct, you can give some with the food.

Correct - you who know?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets hope the kittys main trouble are the parasites. In this case the diacetomous earth should / could help. The external, and possibly also the internal.

The big trouble is as I see it, the cat can also have some real sickness. Being now in bad shape after being earlier in good shape dont sounds good.
Ie a vet should see it.

Of course, do begin with the deparasiting. Homeless cats have almost always parasites. Some have a lots of them.

Good luck!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with this little one! Of course you can't leave it to suffer or shoo it away. If he/she allows you to pet it, then could you not manage to get some Frontline on to the shoulderblades? That would be more effective. And some dewormer in the food?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Good luck with this little one! Of course you can't leave it to suffer or shoo it away. If he/she allows you to pet it, then could you not manage to get some Frontline on to the shoulderblades? That would be more effective. And some dewormer in the food?
A trip to the vet would probably be a good thing...1. to check for a microchip and 2. to see if this cat has been neutered/spayed. If not...treat it to a nice neuter or spay.

Katie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, so far today, it hasn't come by. I was actually going to add some of the diatomaceous earth to the food I give it so thanks for the confirmation of me doing that. I've called a local animal shelter and they have suggested I call the Guelph Human Society but unfortunately they are not open today. Even if this cat is owned by someone, they obviously don't deserve to get this poor kitty back.
Send prayers and vibes that he/she comes back to visit today so I can at least try to ease it's discomfort in some small way.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Well, so far today, it hasn't come by.
Hi,

I re-read your original message about this cat. The "clumps" you see - is this cat's fur longer than "regular" cats'? A longhaired cat that we rescued a long time ago, had terrible mats. The mats can get really, really tight, right up against a cat's delicate skin. Then, often, the cat has problems moving -- could this be why this cat was "barely able to walk" I think you mentioned?

One thing to know is, even if you use blunt scissors, be VERY careful trimming a longhaired cat. The mats will pull skin up away from the cat's body. (Cat's skin is sorta loose anyway) While you may intend only to trim off the mat, you might accidentally cut the cat's SKIN. Trimming a longhaired cat is quite an art (IMO).

Unfortunately, it's a real challenge to come up with a realistic plan to groom a longhaired cat that may be a feral or semi-feral. Alongside declawed kitties, I think longhaired cats are among those worst-suited to be outside on their own. These cats deserve even MORE of our protection, because they have already been subjected to genetic or cosmetic manipulation BY man.

So, anyway, long story short: this cat just may not be sick, but handicapped by those mats to the point of being unable to hunt or eat well!

Best,
Linda

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by linda_of_pgff

Hi,

I re-read your original message about this cat. The "clumps" you see - is this cat's fur longer than "regular" cats'? A longhaired cat that we rescued a long time ago, had terrible mats. The mats can get really, really tight, right up against a cat's delicate skin. Then, often, the cat has problems moving -- could this be why this cat was "barely able to walk" I think you mentioned?

One thing to know is, even if you use blunt scissors, be VERY careful trimming a longhaired cat. The mats will pull skin up away from the cat's body. (Cat's skin is sorta loose anyway) While you may intend only to trim off the mat, you might accidentally cut the cat's SKIN. Trimming a longhaired cat is quite an art (IMO).

Unfortunately, it's a real challenge to come up with a realistic plan to groom a longhaired cat that may be a feral or semi-feral. Alongside declawed kitties, I think longhaired cats are among those worst-suited to be outside on their own. These cats deserve even MORE of our protection, because they have already been subjected to genetic or cosmetic manipulation BY man.

So, anyway, long story short: this cat just may not be sick, but handicapped by those mats to the point of being unable to hunt or eat well!

Best,
Linda
Hi Linda. I used to have a long-haired black cat that would get clumps (I think from the litter). Before I joined this wonderful site I didn't realize how much I needed to groom him. Fortunately he allowed me to cut out his clumps and I am aware of how tricky it can be. I can safely say I did not accidentally cut him but as you say, the potential is certainly there.

Kitty did come by tonight and I gave him some food with about 1/2 tsp. of the diatomaceous earth so that should help any internal parasites. While he was eating I managed to clip away the top worst part of his clumps and even managed to cut away and loosen some of the two clumps lower down near his skin. While I was delicately clipping I was able to see and feel this poor baby's bony body. I have the phone number for the humane society here in Guelph and I understand from the animal rescue that they are a good one so I plan to call them tomorrow.

Unfortunately after the cat finished eating it wouldn't come close to me for me to clip anymore so I'm a bit frustrated with that. It does want to be petted and loved though. He/she raised it's head for me to scritch all around and it seemed to enjoy it. I'm hoping that I can be better friends with it to the point it will let me handle it more. I also noticed around it's back end (not around the anus) it had one of those thistles stuck in it's fur. This baby needs to be anaesthesized and cleaned up. I honestly think the only way to help him/her is to have a vet put it to sleep and pretty much shave it.

I'm going to do whatever I can to help this cat so bear with me and I'll keep you all posted.

Linda, thanks for the heads-up on the cutting close to the skin. If I hadn't already had some experience with this, it is certainly excellent advice. Thanks all for your help and kind wishes. BTW, Linda, I sure wish you were closer to me - I'd feel very comfortable taking this cat to you for help.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im glad to hear he came by to get a bite to eat and allow you to at least cut some of his mats out. He obviously trusts you, so that will help in trying to get him and get him to the humane socity for some help.

Continued vibes and prayers

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - I've gotten in touch with our local humane society and they are willing to take this kitty but first the kitty must be seen by their vet. "We" (tuxedo kitty and me) may have to go on a waiting list but hopefully it won't be a long one. In the meantime I am going to continue to feed the cat and I've just ordered a single dose of Advantage which I shall pick up on the way home from work tonight so I can at least help her if she has fleas. I told the vet's office that she is definitely over a year old but certainly very skinny so they are giving me the smaller dosage.

I also need to buy some cheaper food. I really can't be spending $1.69 for a 5 oz. can of Merrick's for this kitty since she/he pretty much inhales the food.

The folks at the shelter asked if I could continue to feed him/her until they could take her and I assured them I would. They also suggested we don't let our cats out until after we've taken this cat to the shelter, but I told her my husband wouldn't listen to either of us on that score.

I'm feeling better about things now that I know there is someone out there to help me. I told them what a sweet tempered kitty this was so the lady said it shouldn't be a problem getting him/her adopted. I pray this is so.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for helping this poor creature get healthy and find a home. It never ceases to amaze me how people will just toss cats away like they are disposable. At least it has a chance now.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! I just got a call back from the Humane Society and their vet has a place for this sweet cat. I can bring her in tonight (let's hope she is hanging around our place waiting for dinner when I get home from work). I keep wanting to call it she so maybe that's what it is. Anyway, I'm going to try to get her to the vet and once they've treated her and cared for her, she will go to the humane society for adoption. I was very heartened when talking to the lady at the human society - she seemed very caring and dedicated to the welfare and love of the animals.

Wish me luck in getting this kitty in the carrier and off to a better life.

My husband is upset with me - he doesn't think I should take the cat. He says, "what if it belongs to someone?". I told him that if it did, that person doesn't deserve to have it and he told me "that isn't my decision". I told him it damn well is my decision because I refuse to see this cat having a hard time walking, skinny as all get-out and matted beyond belief.

The atmosphere may be a bit "chilly" at our house tonight.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for caring for this poor kitty - regardless of what your husband says, if you don't do this who will?

I hope you find her tonight and can get her in!!