A mysterious meow.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few nights ago my dad heard a meowing nosie coming from our backyard. I went out and looked around but found nothing. My dad said it sound like a she-cat in heat. I never heard this sound before so I'm clueless anyway I put food out in out backyard in hopes of luring the cat to us. We have a dog lead in the front yard I could tie the cat up to while I deside what to do, if in fact it is a cat and he/she does make an appearence.

The food has been eaten but we've seen nothing and after reading reprts about racoon attacks I'm not sure if we need food outside, How long should I wait bnefore I take food back in or thow it out..

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please,whatever you do,don't tie the cat up! Can you borrow a humane trap from someone? Honestly,I'd wait until I saw it again before I would try "luring" it in with food,just to be on the safe side.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. No dog lead. Especielly not if there are raccons around. And probably loose dogs too...

A human trap is very useful if you want to catch the unknown cat.

If you dont have any good place to keep the cat in (a cellar might do. A bathroom is common quarantene in such cases),

is a big dog crate (cleaned of course) a useful solution. You can have here a cat igloo or sideturned cardboard box, food, water, a small litter (type travelling litter). And the cat does okey several days if need be.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

A few nights ago my dad heard a meowing nosie coming from our backyard. I went out and looked around but found nothing. My dad said it sound like a she-cat in heat. I never heard this sound before so I'm clueless anyway I put food out in out backyard in hopes of luring the cat to us. We have a dog lead in the front yard I could tie the cat up to while I deside what to do, if in fact it is a cat and he/she does make an appearence.

The food has been eaten but we've seen nothing and after reading reprts about racoon attacks I'm not sure if we need food outside, How long should I wait bnefore I take food back in or thow it out..
What I would do is to borrow a humane trap and see if you can trap this cat. If you are successful, the cat will immediately need to go to the vet. An intact female outdoors...is a female that will attract intact males and also become pregnant. It is best if you can pay to get this cat spayed/neutered first and THEN decide what to do next.

The dog lead is definately not a good idea...the cat could become tangled in something and suffocate. If the cat is feral...rereleasing the cat once it is fixed will allow the cat to continue to live the way that is has but it won't be able to have anymore litters of kittens and the catawalling should stop.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"We havnt heard anything, but The food I put out was GONE! I quickly filled it up again, I have two bowls out now. What Im wondering is am I just feeding a bunch of racoons?

I dont want to lure racoons to my yard. They already go into the trash and knock things over, I fed my EVO food so far but if this vanishing keeps up, should I buy a lower quality food for feeding outside..'

I have a family friend who has a video cam, "Assuming they let me barrow it should I hide it in the bushes rmake a cover up, sort of like how nature flimer make blinds for taking pics of wild and wary animals and play a video on the food all night long to see who eats it.