Sassy...

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet today and it was sort of good news.
She didn't have a fever, they tested her for Feline Leukemia and FIV and tested negative to both!!

The only thing the vet said is that she might have taken a bad fall or fight. She gave her a shot of antibiotics and gave me the Amoxilin to give her.
She tried to listen to her heart to see if there might something wrong but said that she was purring so loud that she couldn't hear her heart!

She said that it was good, because it was the sound of a happy kitty!
She did say that she was concerned about her breathing but to me, it looks the same always and as well as Mixy and Tonky.
So in all, I think that she is fine. She told me that if I notice that she is still looking sick, to take her in for x-rays on Monday.
Thanks.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know where your original thread is, but I'm glad for the good news.

I think it's strange that your vet said the purring was a good sign (about your cat being happy). Cats purr for a million reasons, and people don't know all of them. Our cat purrs at the vet because he's nervous, not because he's happy. Cats sometimes purr when they're sick.

Cats do definitely purr when they're happy - but just wanted to make sure you knew they also purr for many other reasons.

When our vet wants to listen to our purring kitty's heart, the vet just turns on the water faucet to full. The loud sound of running water makes the cat stop purring - at least long enough to listen to the heart beat.

Laurie

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

When our vet wants to listen to our purring kitty's heart, the vet just turns on the water faucet to full. The loud sound of running water makes the cat stop purring - at least long enough to listen to the heart beat.
That's what my vet does too. She talks to the cat, "The water is going to GET you." It always seems to work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angier106

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
her saying that she couldn't hear because of her purring. Shouldn't vets know how to tell the difference?
I just gave her her dinner and I notice that she has a little bit of difficulty swallowing but not all the time. She did eat her normal size.
The vet did check her mouth.
As for your opinions, do you think that I should go with the x-rays?
I want to make sure that she IS fine.
Angie

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine puts a little bit of rubbing alcohol on her finger and waves it in front of the cat's nose--not all of the exam rooms have a faucet. It's not unusual to not hear the cat's heart correctly if they are purring though--in addition to getting the heart rate, the vet is trying to listen for very specific noises, like murmurs, which can be hard to hear even without the cat purring.

I'd say that if she is still seeming unwell on Monday, x-rays might be a good idea.