YIKES...Brown Recluse Spider Bite

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any experience with brown recluse spider bites?

Friday morning, just after midnight I saw Leopold in the bathroom...I could tell he had *something* cornered but I wasn't sure what. I turned the light on and saw the spider. I am PETRIFIED of spiders, but as quick as I could I got some toilet paper and turned around to get the spider. I was too late. It was hanging from Leopold's mouth. It fell to the floor and Leopold ran from the room, shaking his head and opening his mouth over and over.

I had DH collect the dead spider in a ziploc bag. I stayed up half the night watching Leopold. By morning the swelling in his lip, chin and jaw was getting worse. The vet gave him a steroid shot and sent him home with some antibiotics. The bite is inside of his mouth. He was having some intermittant drooling fits yesterday...as best as I can tell, there's a blister that popped in his mouth. It must taste very bad...he begs for food when it happens. It must help get the taste out. It hasn't happened since last night.

We looked at some pictures and confirmed that it is indeed a brown recluse. I've been reading horror stories online for 2 days now. The vet seems to think that he'll have a smooth recovery since he was treated so quickly after the bite.

So far, his face looks much better now. The boy is nearly impossible to pill, though...so now I have the honor of giving him antibiotic shots instead. We'll see how that goes.

This whole deal has me ready to pack up and move north, where these things aren't so common.

We could use some smooth recovery vibes.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor dear boy!

Many speedy recovery vibes headed your way!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness what a horrible thing to have had to go through ...... poor Leopold. Many healing vibes to both you and him

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, Leopold saved you or your husband from a lot of pain and suffering. You might just owe him your life! that is one heck of a cat.
He is a hero.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing
How many shots do you have to give him? If more than one you may have problems if he figures it out, antibiotic shots HURT
so you may need some help with him.

Maybe it's time for a little spring cleaning? Vacuum in those dark corners and under stuff.

I hope his mouth heals up ok and he recovers quickly.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my i'm so sorry. he is a real hero saving you from that pesky spider. quick thinking on your part by saving the spider and taking him to the vet has him on the right meds to get him to heal quickly..........good luck giving him shots - they might hurt but I bet he'll realize it's making him feel better.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I hope he is going to be ok.

I'm not familiar with that spider so I did some searching in google.ca and found that their bites can be very serious. I'm so glad you got your kitty to the vet sooner rather than later.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leopold, don't scare your meowmy like that.
Seriously, I hope Leopold is feeling better after his big adventure. Hugs and easy recovery vibes to him.

I hope the antibiotic shots go well. Positive thoughts to you for doing that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes. I told Leopold he's a hero. He seems to think I should find better ways to thank him...instead of sticking needles in him.

One shot down, nine more to go!! I did it!! I had hubby hold him, that helped. It was way easier than a pill.

The poor boy drools when I offer him anything but cat food. I offered him a piece of turkey breast for being brave about the shot, and he freaked out and started drooling again
. Junior enjoyed it, though.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending you powerful vibes for Leopold to heal quickly. I also live in an area with Brown Recluse's (I saw them in my last house) and have also read the horror stories about them. You got him to the vet fast which should save you from a lot of problems.

Great job for getting over your fear and giving him the shot!! You've read up enough to know what the bite can do if he doesn't stay on the treatment. Keep a close eye on his mouth for any signs of necropsy please and keep us posted!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!! thank goodness you saw what happened and got him to the vet ASAP!! many vibes for a quick recovery for Leopold {{{}}}}

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh! So sorry! Cuddles to Leopold. I don't even know him but your description of him drooling around food....poor thing I could cry!

It's definitely spider season, at least around here, and I have been keeping my eyes peeled. Whenever I see my cat looking intently, I get up immediately -- 9/10 times there is a spider or some other entomological fright ( I usually relocate!).

And I vacuum every couple of days....it's just the time of year, for the usual suspects.

As for the Brown...yikes is an understatement. I just read a link a few days ago about brown widow sitings rising (cousin to the black widow--less aggressive but more toxic). Warmer climates affected.

You did awesome, Beandip. It freaks me out thinking back to all the times in our last house, where I would go down to clean the boxes in the morning and find dismembered spiders on occasion (finished basement). ACK. You just never know because cats tend to find these critters at night when we are asleep. How fortunate you found him right then, and again, awesome quick acting.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! First of all "get well" vibes to Leopold. Secondly congradulations and kudos for being so smart and responsible in your care of him. It is a great thing when friends look out for one another, even when they are separate species!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Im surprised your cat survived through something like that? """"Good vibes coming"""

I was watching a TV program once that showed a little seven year old girl that died from a brown recluse bite, she complained about feeling tired after playing outside during recess and her back had wounds that the nurse was conceraned about, Her mom drovew her to the dc, so trusting so innocent the child later died in the hospitcal, terrible, simply terrible.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the kids at my school was bitten by a brown recluse on her shin two years ago. It took 3+ months for the healing to go through its full cycle. She had MRIs to make sure it wasn't going into the bone and several minor surgeries to clean out the area. She has an 1/8th of inch round scar as a reminder - which is nothing compared to what it could have been.

Positive thoughts and prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your comments and positive thoughts.

I still can't believe I saw the whole thing happen.

He's doing about the same. Eating reasonably well, so that's good. All I have to do is look at him wrong, and he starts drooling. Ugh. He was a good boy for the 2nd injection so I'm thankful for that. I considered myself a seasoned cat piller until I tried pilling him.
So much for that. At least we have an alternative, because he reallllly needs those antibiotics.

I'm dreading next Friday...that will be the 7 day mark. The rest of the events went on exactly as described in the articles I read. First 2 hours, no significant pain, 2-6 hours after bite - more pain, more swelling....12 hours later - blister...7 days later ...dying tissue around the bite. I'm worried about that. Hopefully things will remain under control.