Something new from Cozmo,,,

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Cozmo has started to like to sit on the back of my neck and shoulders as I walk around the house, he has learned to be very careful with the claws as he is doing this. He climbed up my back like a tree one day out of the blue and it hurt so bad I had to yell out, Cozmo must have figured out at that moment that claws in my back = lots of pain for me.

So now he waits till he can jump up there from a table or if I am bent over to pick up something he will jump up there. Or sometimes if I am holding him I will just reach over my head with him and put him there. I have a tendency to walk bent over some when he is there so he can stay there easier without claws in my neck.

I hope he don't get as big as Panther is and still want to sit up there, I will be walking bent over all the time from all the weight.

Do any of you out there have a kitty that does this also?

Yvonne says Cozmo must think he is a bird and not a cat because he sits on the weirdest high places, He can jump from a dresser in our bedroom on to the top of the door and balance up there as the door moves from him jumping up there, then he plays flying squirrel and jumps from the top of the door to the bed. He don't give me enough time to get the camera on him in mid flight to get a picture though.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia's favorite place is over my shoulder and it is guaranteed, no matter what mode she is in, she will purr if I rock her in this position! She will meow at me till I pick her up like this, give her a kitty hug, and carry her around!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How cute, Tom!! You might have to make adjustments to the position he's in so that it "works" for you, or limit it to times when you're sitting in a particular chair or on the couch or something so that you don't hurt yourself.

My Hannah likes to curl up on my chest and take a nap while I'm on the computer. Drives my DH insane, but I like it and take it as a compliment that she feels safe doing it.

Stephanie

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was the only way I could 'hold' my Shadow - wouldn't stay in my arms!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing after reading your thread again, you may want to reinforce this behavior on both sides, appraisal for when it is good, and hinder when not safe. This way it a natural, positively reinforced behavior,, but if it is dangerous sometimes, if he tried to jump up on someone who is not ready or finds it uncomfortable or when you are not ready, he will understand, with you, the best way to enjoy this, as well as you to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as I know I am the only one he does this with. He is getting good at letting me know when he is going to jump up there. He makes a funny meow to let me know to pick him up or is going to leap onto my shoulders.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

As far as I know I am the only one he does this with. He is getting good at letting me know when he is going to jump up there. He makes a funny meow to let me know to pick him up or is going to leap onto my shoulders.
I think encouraging him when it is ok, then both of you get the most pleasure out of it! It is the best to get appraisal from something you enjoy doing!

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our new kitty Trotter loves to sit on my shoulders...He will cry and cry and cry to be able to sit up on my shoulder..especially while Im on the comp!!

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine has a cat who liked to sit on my HEAD while I played video games. I had to be careful so he wouldn't fall off, which was hard because when I play video games I jerk around a lot (sort of "moving" with the character I'm playing).

Tricia