Lion Cut

mmc32879

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am considering getting my 1 year old DLH a lion cut for the summer. He is an indoor only cat and we keep the air on all the time. I have heard that he might really benifit from getting the cut, plus I think it would look adorable on him. However, I think the whole process might be too tramatic for him. Also if he is indoors with the air on will he be cold? Does anyone have any experience with this. Also how long will it take for the hair to grow back?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My persian Severino just got the lion cut and he loves it
Not sure how long it takes for it to grow back fully...but his has already grown a tad bit and it was a few weeks ago.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if they really "love" a hair cut. Some hide in shame
As long as the air is not blowing directly on him it should be ok - what temp are you keeping it at?

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think your kitty will be fine getting a lion cut. Some seem to really enjoy it while others hide in shame for a while. Is your kitty matted at all? I do lion cuts at work almost on a weekly basis-mostly for those who are matted or can no longer groom themselves, are you having it done by a groomer or your vet? As a vet tech we sedate them so that they are not nervous and it only takes me about 20 min to do one then. Anesthesia all the time is not good but once a year as long as your kitty is healthy should be fine. Good luck and send before and after pics of your kitty-kind of like Kitty Extreme Makeover!
It also can depend on the cat how long it takes for the hair to grow back, most seem to have a pretty decent hair coat within 6-8 months, depending on the length of hair.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think with all that fur in warm temperatures to say i would "love" a lion cut would be an understatement

Actually theres a few kitties on the site here had those lion cuts in the past, and they been fine

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I think with all that fur in warm temperatures to say i would "love" a lion cut would be an understatement

Actually theres a few kitties on the site here had those lion cuts in the past, and they been fine
I would have to agree!
Well said Susan!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes anywhere from 3-6 months for a coat to grow back fully...just to answer your question!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of the lion cut unless it is because of severe matting. I too have seen cats hide and isolate themselves after getting one. And many cats are just scared of the clippers and end up with a choppy mess that looks like the owner tried to do it themselves!
My cats keep their coats (except for what sheds off in the spring) and have never shown signs of being over heated. But it's really personal choice.

justicelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy William just had a lion cut about two months ago. He was severly matted. And I would definitly do it again. He had a complete attitude change. He is more active, more loving, and not nearly as scared. Still waiting for the hair to grow back. The groomer said he did pretty good and even tried to help, whatever that means.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JusticeLynn

My boy William just had a lion cut about two months ago. He was severly matted. And I would definitly do it again. He had a complete attitude change. He is more active, more loving, and not nearly as scared. Still waiting for the hair to grow back. The groomer said he did pretty good and even tried to help, whatever that means.
Severe matting can be painful so I'm not surprised William had an attitude change!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure that I would clip him if he is in AC all day. Unless you turn the AC off or have it set higher when you are gone I wouldn't think that the kitty would need the hair cut. I would be worried about someone getting hurt in the whole process, the kitty or the person shaving!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tedi's hair is so long it was getting matted all the time and so fast! I admit I didn't brush him as often as I should have, but his hair was so long he couldn't even keep it clean. So we did a lion's cut on him. He was having his teeth cleaned at the time so he was under anyway.
They can put your cat under if you think that they will freak out with the shaver. We got him shaved early april. He hid the whole weekend, but after that, he was his normal self. He is actually more active and loving than he was before so I know he feels better. It will take at least 4-5 months for it to really grow back. He looks sooo much better. I have finally been able to give him a bath and he is so much softer.
I think that this is good for them because you get rid of the dead weight and the dead hair. It allows new hair to grow in and replace old and damaged hair. He has been a happy boy and I know he feels better.

rita42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my two persian cats both the Lion cut today, one is a female Silver shaded persian, the other is a male Blue Persian. My Blue Persian had the Lion Cut last year so he's used to it this year he seems very happy again, but my Silver shaded Persian seems sad when I try to hold her she crys like she sore.. Both cats had to be sedated..

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rita42

I got my two Persian cats both the Lion cut today, one is a female Silver shaded Persian, the other is a male Blue Persian. My Blue Persian had the Lion Cut last year so he's used to it this year he seems very happy again, but my Silver shaded Persian seems sad when I try to hold her she crys like she sore.. Both cats had to be sedated..
I would be careful about having a Persian sedated unnecessarily. They are higher risk of complication and even death because of the flat (or nearly flat) faces. My vet won't sedate a Persian unless it's a matter of life or death.

If your Silver shaded is crying, lethargic, not eating well or having any other symptoms I wouldn't let it go too long without calling the vet and asking if they could be symptoms from anesthesia.