Found Cat..... I have no idea...

littlemcde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As some of you already know, I lost my cat, Baxter about a week ago. For the week we have been looking for him we have been seeing another cat that looks very similar to him. The thing is..the cat is very very frightened, not feral, but pretty close, it is obivous that "it" has had human contact, it is declawed. We have called the humane society, and police station reporting a found cat..but until then I have NO CLUE!The cat is very very thin, and dirty. The cat looks very manly...but it has no male parts..I sound stupid right now I know..but is there a way to tell if it is a female or a male that has been nuetered?

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, and welcome to TCS!
Have you been feeding this cat at all? I would definetly make sure to put food out there, so it doesn't starve! Also, you could trap the cat, and bring him/her into the vet and ask them what they think and make sure it's healthy.... At the same time get it spayed/neutered if it isn't already! Keep us updated on what you find out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlemcde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat is actually in my house now. He/She is very very frightened of humans, especially men, and deep voices, but at the same time it is very loving. I put food down, but it didn't act like it was starving, and it wouldn't eat until we left. I went out and bought it a flea colar (just in case) and a thing of treats.

Obviously the cat was at one time a house cat..but we have asked around and were told that it has been wandering around the neighborhood for months.

She/He is declawed, but we still have NO IDEA if it is a neutered male, or a female. We have no vets open until Monday, so does anyone know a way to tell if it is a male or female?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't help you with the male/female part which I don't think is a major issue right now anyway, but I would strongly advise you to remove the flea collar. Flea collars can cause death and if this kitty is in such bad shape, it's immune system probably isn't up to snuff.

I'm already hoping you will keep this poor little kitty especially as you say it is declawed and has a better chance being indoors. I'm guessing a bath is completely out of the question at the moment.
The vet can give you some medication for the fleas. If you get Revolution, it is also good for ear mites.

Also, I'm sure he/she is really spooked right now and under a lot of stress. Don't force yourself on the cat - talk soothingly to it and sit on the floor in the room where you have the cat. I would keep it isolated in one room with litter on one side and food and water on the other. You might also try some string/wand type toys but just let the cat take it's own time to come to you.

nausicaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's eating, so that's good. Don't use a flea collar, give him a room of his own (with maybe a bed so he has a "safe-space" to hide under.) Wait for him to approach you.

As for the sex... don't neutered males still retain their(ahem) nut sacks?

Sorry your kitty is missing. But maybe you can give this one a home.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Seb still has his ummm sack
, just doesn't function
I think it depends on how the vet does the procedure.

Yes, just give this poor scared kitty his own space for awhile. He is probably starving and it sounds like he has been abused by men at some point. Its surprising that he survived for so long outside being declawed. What an amazing kitty. He probably has many stories to tell once he learns to trust again.

Please let us know how it goes at the vet

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nausicaa

As for the sex... don't neutered males still retain their(ahem) nut sacks?
I was just going to say the same thing.
Our Elliott is neutered, but if you look at him from behind you can tell that he's male

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littlemcde

The cat is actually in my house now. He/She is very very frightened of humans, especially men, and deep voices, but at the same time it is very loving. I put food down, but it didn't act like it was starving, and it wouldn't eat until we left. I went out and bought it a flea colar (just in case) and a thing of treats.

Obviously the cat was at one time a house cat..but we have asked around and were told that it has been wandering around the neighborhood for months.

She/He is declawed, but we still have NO IDEA if it is a neutered male, or a female. We have no vets open until Monday, so does anyone know a way to tell if it is a male or female?
You are so sweet for helping this kitty, I agree with the other poster, maybe you can give this kitty a home.

littlemcde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my dear lord....

I have a problem...
My missing cat, the one I was looking for when I found this other cat......come home...

Now I have TWO cats!!!

They hate eachother, which I know wears off...

I don't know what I am going to do.

It's a stand off between them, and the basement steps where the food & litter are kept...

P.S. Baxter is neutered, and you can not tell in any shape of form he once had a sack

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news that Baxter is home!!

As for the 2nd cat...I would advise keeping them separated until the new kitty has been checked over by a vet, and tested for Feline Leukemia at the very least. Since Baxter was missing for awhile, a vet check would be a good idea for him too.

littlemcde

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both cats have appointments made for tomorrow morning, and are being kept seperate.

Thank you all for your help!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littlemcde

Both cats have appointments made for tomorrow morning, and are being kept seperate.

Thank you all for your help!
I am so happy for you! Baxter made it home safely and maybe you have saved a poor cat from a terrible future! Good for you to get them both to the vets so quickly. I hope that they are both okay and that you decide to keep #2...Baxter may end up loving his new buddy!

Keep us posted!