Worried about Tonka

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we brought him home last night and he seems to be getting along with everyone well. But I'm concerned because he's been laying in the cubby hole of the cat condo almost all day. He hasn't eaten or used the litterbox that I've seen.
Should I be worried?
The Cat brats were all born here, including Tiger, so I'm not sure if it could be just him taking time to get adjusted....... Any advice? I called the vet and they said give him a day or two.
What do ya'll think?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he was an only Cat and even if not I am sure he has to get used to everything, I would give him some time maybe put him in a room for a bit and sit with him. Its all new for him

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been checked out by a vet to make sure he's healthy and doesn't have crystals or kidney problems? If not, you should have him looked at just to be sure. It could be that he's new to the house, or it could be something medical. He's a senior kitty and about the age when they start to develop medical problems such as kidney disease and diabetes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Has he been checked out by a vet to make sure he's healthy and doesn't have crystals or kidney problems? If not, you should have him looked at just to be sure. It could be that he's new to the house, or it could be something medical. He's a senior kitty and about the age when they start to develop medical problems such as kidney disease and diabetes.
Yes. He was day before yesterday and he checked out great! He's Feliv -.

He came from a foster home sponsered by the SPCA

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with your vet, but I also wouldn't let him go long without eating...I just think he should be separated from the others for a while...I had Lucia separated for a week and they go to know her through a screen door we put on, and it worked out great. Don't forget to your other babies this is their territory and especially since Tonka is a grown cat, this could be really tough on them too...Good luck!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I agree with your vet, but I also wouldn't let him go long without eating...I just think he should be separated from the others for a while...I had Lucia separated for a week and they go to know her through a screen door we put on, and it worked out great. Don't forget to your other babies this is their territory and especially since Tonka is a grown cat, this could be really tough on them too...Good luck!
I had them separated until late this morning. Tonka darted out of the bedroom and holed up in the cat condo. I took a few pics and put him back in my room.. Low and behold, he was out..... again
Apparently he knows how to open doors. I have pocket doors in my house w/o locks
so it's hard to keep him in anywhere

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I had them separated until late this morning. Tonka darted out of the bedroom and holed up in the cat condo. I took a few pics and put him back in my room.. Low and behold, he was out..... again
Apparently he knows how to open doors. I have pocket doors in my house w/o locks
so it's hard to keep him in anywhere
Oh ok
Has he played at all? To me that's always an indication if my cats are feeling okay? I bet by tomorrow he's part of the GANG.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh ok
Has he played at all? To me that's always an indication if my cats are feeling okay? I bet by tomorrow he's part of the GANG.
A little but not much. With him being an older kitty I don't expect him to be full of energy. Last night he sleep in the bed with me and around 3 am he made me (and my feet) aware that he was there by biting them under the blanket

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A little but not much. With him being an older kitty I don't expect him to be full of energy. Last night he sleep in the bed with me and around 3 am he made me (and my feet) aware that he was there by biting them under the blanket
That's a good sign
Before Bella got sick she was my most active, and she was also easy going which I assume he is also.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's a good sign
Before Bella got sick she was my most active, and she was also easy going which I assume he is also.
Oh he is VERY easy going.. and very laid back. I've never seen a kitty this relaxed

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I've got him in my bedroom.... for now lol. I called the lady I adopted him from and she said he was rescued from a guy who had adopted him and another cat from someone about 2 weeks ago. The guy adopted them thinking they were 1yr old or so and when he found out they were older he was going to have them both PTS...... What a jerk

So him and the other cat have been through alot the last couple weeks.. Also, the other cat is a siamese. They were raised together and he's been walking around mewing alot. I'm thinking they miss each other. Maybe that's why Tonk's so depressed?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, so I've got him in my bedroom.... for now lol. I called the lady I adopted him from and she said he was rescued from a guy who had adopted him and another cat from someone about 2 weeks ago. The guy adopted them thinking they were 1yr old or so and when he found out they were older he was going to have them both PTS...... What a jerk

So him and the other cat have been through alot the last couple weeks.. Also, the other cat is a siamese. They were raised together and he's been walking around mewing alot. I'm thinking they miss each other. Maybe that's why Tonk's so depressed?
Oh Bless his heart...I would bet you are right, he's wondering what the heck is happening and where is my buddy Awwww. What's wrong with people, how could he want to have them pts

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry yet -- every kitty we've ever gotten has waited a day to resume eating and pooping.
You might encourage him by putting food and water right beside the condo where he likes to be...