Black Death??

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! that's very scary!! I had no idea that the disease still existed!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh...yes..the black plague is still around. It is mainly found in rodents. It is caused by a enterobacteria called Yersinia pestis. The rodents are carries and unaffected by the plague. It is surprising to hear it being found in squirrels.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We've had the problem in prairie dogs for ages. Every once in awhile, it shows up in the squirrel population as stated in the article. Another good reason to keep my three indoors.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW Scary stuff! One guy got it in New Mexico?!?! Wow. Interesting how dogs won't get sick but can be carriers.

noelle&oliver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I knew it was still around, but didn't know it was in the US. I think it's typically found in places like India, where sanitation is poor and the population is skyrocketed so coming into contact with someone who has it is likely.

Isn't the Hanta Virus also out in the West? I believe that's carried by rodents, as well.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Noelle&Oliver

I knew it was still around, but didn't know it was in the US. I think it's typically found in places like India, where sanitation is poor and the population is skyrocketed so coming into contact with someone who has it is likely.

Isn't the Hanta Virus also out in the West? I believe that's carried by rodents, as well.
Yes, that is correct. The field mice are the carriers.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Noelle&Oliver

That proves more of a threat than the bubonic plague because people get it when they are cleaning out areas where there are a lot of mouse droppings.

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I heard some time back that the "black death" was found in rodents here in the US. If i remember right there are a few diffrent strains of it. Still creaps me out though.