I am so nervous- foalwatch!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have everything ready - plastic bowls, plastic bags and wads of cotton. Disenfectant, string, bandages, sterilised water, liquid soap. A large battery lamp. A bucket. Her box is ready, comfortable with straw that has been sprayed with disenfectant. The vet's number is pinned up on the wall. And new batteries in the camera. Poor Maisie - she is taking it much more calmly than I am, and is being really good about all the intimate examinations I am giving her twice a day - udder feel, rectal temperature, colour and tension of internal tissues. But she has had at least four foals, and this is my first one! By all the signs so far I think she has maybe 10-12 days to go, but it could be sooner. I am both nervous of being there and scared to miss it. And of course terrified in case something goes wrong. I went to the clinic this week and asked them what I should do, and they said basically nothing, just be there if I can and phone them at once if something doesn't seem right. Otherwise, leave it to Maisie. And the morning after the birth, call and the vet will come and check mother and baby and give tetanus shots. I have been reading up on it all and scared myself silly learning about what COULD go wrong. But at least now I understand the procedure (from a spectator point of view) and know what to look for at the different stages. I will keep you informed of progress. Meanwhile send good vibes please for Maisie, that all goes well with what will be her last foal. The poor thing has been a breeding machine all her adult life.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of good foaling vibes on their way, and even more calming vibes for you. You are an excellent fur-mom.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are well prepared...but did you forget the blanket and pillow for yourself?? LOL Just kidding. I wanted to stay in the stall with my first mare the first time she foaled! I know how excited you must be and I will be watching this thread for updates and sending vibes to you both!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh wow, how wonderful
I can feel your anticipation and nervousness too
you certainly have everything on hand...but I think theres a brandy flask missing from that list

aww I am sure its gonna go just fine
she knows that she has you there as a watchful eye

lots of good birthing (((((((
vibes
)))))) whizzing up from Spain to you

Keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the books I read said that the owner should start nightly vigils in the barn from day 320 of the pregnancy! And to prepare a warm corner with camp bed, lantern etc. Since I don't know when Maisie is due, and horse pregnancies can last up to 340 days or longer, by rights I should be out there now every night. But I am watching her daily for all the signs that are supposed to indicate birth in 24 hours or less, so I am hoping I will have time to get her into the loosebox I have prepared. I am also keeping my bedroom window open, and I can see and hear her from there, unless she is right in the back of the shelter, so that will have to do. I don't know if horses make much noise though when giving birth - as prey animals they are probably programmed to keep quiet at such a vulnerable time. If I do hear anything, I can be with her in about three minutes flat, allowing for pulling on a sweater over my pyjamas!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How exciting. I think I would be sleeping with her.
I should go to France so we can take shifts and keep an eye on Maisie.
(What you don't know is that if I had the money and vacation time available, I'd be there like a shot!)

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foaling is always so exciting. Best of luck. Make sure you post lots of pics when your new baby arrives!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! Fingers crossed for an easy delivery for her. I always think the real magic in watching a foal being born is seeing the wee thing staggering to its feet and working out how to use its legs - absolutely fantastic

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, how wonderful! All baby animals are so precious, but foals are right up there at the top of the list, along with kittens and puppies. I hope everything goes perfectly for Maisie!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting!
When our mare's would wax, we would be up in the hayloft at night, watching through the hayrack drop hole!
We did have one though, who had hers out in the pasture, in the middle of the afternoon, on the warmest day we had that January! That was a surprise!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of good vibes for Maisie, the new baby, and you!

This is really exciting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

How exciting. I think I would be sleeping with her.
I should go to France so we can take shifts and keep an eye on Maisie.
(What you don't know is that if I had the money and vacation time available, I'd be there like a shot!)
And you would be welcome! No news today - more of the same. She is finding it hard to walk now - she is waddling a bit, especially on the sloping field!