Frontline or Advantage

cynni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ladies

I have just had a pretty nasty time with fleas on INDOOR cats... they have both been treated with advantage as well as my entire house, yet I still am noticing FLEA OR 2 HERE AND THERE.... i UNDERSTAND i CAN REAPPLY IN 30 DAYS

which do you prefer... frontline or advantage, and why please....

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet said that Advantage on dogs will poison a cat that goes near the dog.

Now, get this, if the Advantage is on the dog and a cat goes near the dog and gets poisoned, how poisonous is it to the cat??

I prefer Frontline Plus.

If I were in that situation, I would be vacuming furiously, bathing my cats in mild soap or shampoo, (baths alone will drown the fleas, no need for flea dip). I HATE fleas!!

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i guess frontline is safer, cuz it is recommended even for kittens (from the 1st day of life) plus it kills worms!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another 2 suggestions

Get a fine toothed flea comb and keep combing them once or twice a day.

Get a flea collar, cut it up and put one/two pieces in the vacummn and the other pieces under the couch cushions.

L

larks

Used frontline in past and its been good enough however we recently got a kitten and when we went to vets had Advocate given for her and been using it on other cats as well. So far this one seems as good with it including some forms of worms. In case your wondering about prices too we got 3 lots in a pack at 16 pounds but was for small cats set

L

larks

forgot to add we once used a zapper flea comb however it didnt last long as its not pleasant watching them being zapped

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cynni

Hi ladies

I have just had a pretty nasty time with fleas on INDOOR cats... they have both been treated with advantage as well as my entire house, yet I still am noticing FLEA OR 2 HERE AND THERE.... i UNDERSTAND i CAN REAPPLY IN 30 DAYS

which do you prefer... frontline or advantage, and why please....
Personally,I would rather use frontline,as it kills adult fleas AND eggs/larvae ONLY.....but...my cats are sensitive to it,so I use Revelution. Advantage is great for a indoor cat with flea allergies,since it only kills adult fleas but NOT the eggs or larvae. Revolution is the only one that will take care of fleas and the eggs/larvae,ear mites,roundworms,and heartworms (I believe). So,more than likely.....the advantage you used only killed the adult fleas and the eggs/larvae have now hatched!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

My vet said that Advantage on dogs will poison a cat that goes near the dog.

Now, get this, if the Advantage is on the dog and a cat goes near the dog and gets poisoned, how poisonous is it to the cat??
I use Advantage. The formulas for cats and dogs are the same so I am not sure why when applied to a dog, it would poison a cat? My mother had cats and dogs all treated with Advantage with no issues.

Seb is allergic to fleas so I have to be careful. Advantage keeps him flea free.

I have heard the new Advantage Multi is supposed to treat fleas, hookworm, roundworm and ear mites as well. Not sure how effective it is though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
vet likes frontline for the dog ....

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using Advantage for years from May thru October. I never had a problem with it and never saw another flea. Don't know how a cat can get poisened with it since you have to apply it on the neck where she cannot reach it.

oregon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was skeptical the first time I tried but it is fantastic. My vet usually reccomends frontline for dogs. More oil based I think.
Before taking gimpo, when he finally let me pet him. I manage to put some advantage on him. Trying to keep him flea free until I got a better hold

As it is I take my cats outised on a leash but not w/out putting advantage on first. And their shots of course.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Correction from previous post.

I used to use Frontline Plus for my indoor cats, and now only use it for the dog. I found after I put it on the cats they seemed quiet, slept more, I don't know, they just did not seem right, especially my 9+ year old cat. I don't have fleas now, but I did in the past. Instead of medicating the cats back then, I gave them a bath whenever I saw them itch. And vacumed like a mad lady.

I have read that a raw diet, or a premium food diet (not supermarket and not major pet store food) will keep fleas away because the pet is receiving maxium nutrition which helps boost the immune system.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Correction from previous post.

I used to use Frontline Plus for my indoor cats, and now only use it for the dog. I found after I put it on the cats they seemed quiet, slept more, I don't know, they just did not seem right, especially my 9+ year old cat. I don't have fleas now, but I did in the past. Instead of medicating the cats back then, I gave them a bath whenever I saw them itch. And vacumed like a mad lady.

I have read that a raw diet, or a premium food diet (not supermarket and not major pet store food) will keep fleas away because the pet is receiving maxium nutrition which helps boost the immune system.
UMM NO a RAW diet wont prevent fleas, hence why my dog is useing frontline and the cats will use DEFLEA ... NOR will a premium diet ....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I use Advantage on my cats. It's the only spot-on flea medication that is safe to use with CRF cats. Cleo & Maggie are both CRF.
That is new to me ... My vet said my CRF girl could use frontline since it was less likely to be found in the blood than the others... After further discussion I am sticking with my natural flea kill for the cats

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

That is new to me ... My vet said my CRF girl could use frontline since it was less likely to be found in the blood than the others... After further discussion I am sticking with my natural flea kill for the cats
Please tell me what is your natural flea kill for cats??? For future use, as I don't have fleas now, and just in case I get too lazy for the bath thing. Thank you in advance.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use De flea ... it is a soap base with a natural NON permethin action

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried Revolution or DeFlea, but have used the Advantage and it worked great on the fleas, but didn't protect against ticks.

I use the Frontline Plus, because it works for Ticks too and we let our kitties in and out. One thing that I have noticed is that it if I keep it up on a consistant basis there are no fleas in the house. But if I forget until someone brings a flea in, we will find fleas for about a week past putting the treatment on everyone.

I use the Frontline about once every two or three months in winter and every month during the warmer months.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy a pack of Frontline for large dogs and divide it up to cat doses. One whole pack of (3) large dog doses of Frontline will basically treat 21 average sized cats. In otherwords, my 7 cats for 3 months. If fleas aren't noticed I might go every other month and I am just talking about spring and summer, into the fall. I don't treat in the winter.