Whisk vs. Harness

christicehurst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we went for our first walk. I live on a 3rd level apartment block and we went down to the the little grass and leaves next to it. Whisk didn't like the harness and wouldn't take a bit of it at first. Then he started to run for it after leaves and stuff.

I moved him around the place and he smelled some bushes and the grass for a while. He meowed a couple times when I picked him and directed him to the safe area. However he did hiss once when I tried to pick him and I said "Time for Daddy to take you hom.e You had a goodm little walk".

He's now back at home and he's purring again whick is good. He's re;axing on the carpet having a cat nap.

Does anyone have advice to make future little walks easier?

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always recommend taking the cat out in a carrier when you're taking a cat out in a harness.

Not only does it help prevent the cat from becoming a door darter (i.e they don't make as strong a door=outside mental connection, more cat carrier=outside, which also makes vet trips easier) it's also a safe hidey hole for the kitty to bolt into if they get scared. So he can sit there safe and then enter out in his own good time. The outside is a scary place if you're not used to it so having a piece of home with you is pretty handy.

If you do that I really recommend as well leaving the carrier out at all times with a nice cat blanket in, most cats start sleeping sometimes in their carrier then as well. Their little den.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I always recommend taking the cat out in a carrier when you're taking a cat out in a harness.

Not only does it help prevent the cat from becoming a door darter (i.e they don't make as strong a door=outside mental connection, more cat carrier=outside, which also makes vet trips easier) it's also a safe hidey hole for the kitty to bolt into if they get scared. So he can sit there safe and then enter out in his own good time. The outside is a scary place if you're not used to it so having a piece of home with you is pretty handy.

If you do that I really recommend as well leaving the carrier out at all times with a nice cat blanket in, most cats start sleeping sometimes in their carrier then as well. Their little den.
and what to do if cat hates his carrier? after his loooooong trip by train, Givi started hating sitting in the carrier...he meows all the time...

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try getting another carrier that looks different from the other one and leave it open on the floor lots, with a blanket in and some toys and even a treat, just to get the cat used to it?

I'm lucky in that the cat carrier is actually my cat's main bed (well apart from my bed) so she goes in there all the time on her own.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Maybe try getting another carrier that looks different from the other one and leave it open on the floor lots, with a blanket in and some toys and even a treat, just to get the cat used to it?

I'm lucky in that the cat carrier is actually my cat's main bed (well apart from my bed) so she goes in there all the time on her own.
yeah im gonna try this one thanks for advice.

Not sure if the cat carrier might work. He completely ingored me when we were outside.
maybe you should stop going outside for some time, and find some way to make him more attached to you?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by christicehurst

. He completely ingored me when we were outside.
But isn't this the purpose of taking a cat outside? So he can get some mental stimulation and sights, sounds, and experiences he can't get inside? Don't worry about that, isn't perfectly normal. It's a good thing.

I'm not really sure what your expectations are but your description of your first outside experience sounds perfect fine and normal to me. It's not going to be like walking a dog. If you look at it from the point of view that the cat is going to do what he wants to do and you just happen to be attached to him in order to keep him out of danger then you'll both have a better time.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you just throw the harness on him for the first time and go immediately outside?