Hi everybody, i am new to cat site.com

whiskasandpaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just need some advice,
I have 4 cats and i am going on my first holiday without them, and i am going to miss them loads also i am struggling with what is best for them, if i shouod book them into a cattery or leave them at home and have a family member come to my house and feed them, any advice welcome
thanks

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's possible I'd have the family come over and care for them. It's less stressful than taking them to a whole new area.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there! Welcome to TCS!
I'm glad you dropped in... As for your question, I personally think it's better to leave animals at home and have someone come over and feed them,etc. This way the animals are in their own safe environment and won't get too stressed out by being in a unfamiliar place... See you in the threads

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskasandpaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all thanks for the welcome.
and quick reply to my post.
yes really dreading leaving my beloved cats behind when i go on holiday.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else.
When we go away for just a day or two my best friend will come in two or three times a day to check food, water, litter boxes and play with the cats.
But if we go for longer than that my Niece just comes and stays at our house to look after the furkids.

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For my cats it is much less stressful to stay at home while someone they know watches them rather than go to a cattery. Not that they like it when I leave at all. They always look stressed when I come home if I am missing for more than a day. I guess that's why they are my babies!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whiskasandpaws

I just need some advice,
I have 4 cats and i am going on my first holiday without them, and i am going to miss them loads also i am struggling with what is best for them, if i shouod book them into a cattery or leave them at home and have a family member come to my house and feed them, any advice welcome
thanks
I am getting ready to leave for 17 days. My sister-in-law will be staying in our house and taking care of Persi & Alley. That is the best if you can have a family member come in. I would never put mine in a cattery. In December I drove to southern Mexico with our beloved Persi but this time we are not driving so must leave them behind so I will be missing my cats (and missing The Cat Site), but I know they will be in good hands.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(2 kitties r missing btw from above)

But everone has left u some good advice
When my brother goes away I usually "house and pet sit" I know the first time I left my kitties alone for a night I wsa sooo crazy lol! And that was just for a night so i know how crazy u must be going!

But post some pics of ur crew if u get a chance we
pics here!

Well see u on the forums hopefully, and enjoy ur holiday

L

larks

Welcome and agreed with everyone else , cat sitters. If going away for a fair few days also good to have someone stay at your house to give them plenty of attention. We're still being made to suffer by one of our cats who only had someone come to feed them and couldnt stay. We only went for two days too.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and hello from a fellow Brit now living in Spain. Its great here, there always lots to do, see and learn. It can become a bit of an addiction, but don't worry you are in good company

When I lived in the UK - I did both, as my cat-sitters were not always available. So I can see both points of view
I used the same cattery for over 10yrs and my cats loved it there, the owners were excellent and couldn't do enough for my cats well-being

If you go for a cattery, just do lots of research, most of the good ones have excellent web pages and you can see what sort of accommodation they offer. Ring them up and have a chat, most would offer you a visit so you could see how things work - always good to do as if you only see the place when you arrive to leave them and you dont like it, its a bit late if you have holiday commitments - like a plane to catch

You might also have cat-friends that can recommend one.

Cats do settle into a new environment and they will be safe, fed and cared for but I do understand why you might be worried.

I prefer to have a sitter come which luckily this happens more often than not for me now. The cats know their home, and if the sitter is a family member or a friend then your cats may already know the sitter, which obviously helps

Well I am sure you'll come up with a solution that you can feel comfortable with

ooo and once you get chance do post some photos of you kitties
we just love photos here

Enjoy the forums ....and your holiday !!!!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you are lucky enough to have a family member who can do that for you, its much better for the cats and much cheaper in the long-run.

I know how hard it is being away from your babies. I spent my holiday everyday thinking about them! The good thing if you get a family member to look after them, that person can give you telephone updates or email pics.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
It's great that you've joined us!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.