abdominal protuberance

don_gato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi... this is an orphan kitten found at the back of our house and we have been taking care of him so far...

a couple of days ago we found what looks like a pimple on his abdominal area...kinda looks like a bellybuton but i am just not sure... this is the first cat we ever have and so we ar not sure..

i would appreciate anyones help and advise...thanks...

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like a herniated umbilical cord. I had a puppy with one of those a long time ago. It went away on its own, but if you are concerned about it you can always consult your vet. I believe that a herniated umbilical cord is generally not a big problem though....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

don_gato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
great thanks for the reply...i was thinking it had something to do with the umbilical cord... so how long do you think i should wait for it to look better and/or before i go to the vet...

by the way...this is me...it was a surprise shot, sorry i didnt smile

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the tiny kitten seen a vet yet? I would think that one that small would have vet visits fairly regularly to monitor his progress. Is the bump sensitive to the touch? If not, I would just wait until the next vet visit and mention it then. If it's a hernia, they will want to keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn't get worse or develop complications. My parents' dog had one as a puppy. They monitored it regularly for signs of problems and had it repaired when he was neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

don_gato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Has the tiny kitten seen a vet yet? I would think that one that small would have vet visits fairly regularly to monitor his progress. Is the bump sensitive to the touch? If not, I would just wait until the next vet visit and mention it then. If it's a hernia, they will want to keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn't get worse or develop complications. My parents' dog had one as a puppy. They monitored it regularly for signs of problems and had it repaired when he was neutered.
he was taken to the vat two days after we found him, he just told us to take him after the first month for his vaccinations and told us the kind of formula we needed and stuff like that...this little bump was not noticed but just 2 days ago...maybe it was there before but we just noticed it two days ago...

sensitive to the touch ?? hard to tell...he is soooo spoiled, if you touch hime he cries, if you dont touch him he cries, if you carry him he cries if you dont he cries too...just spoiled...i was thinking that maybe if it was something that was bothering him he would kinda be more sensitive or touchy in general but no change really... hopefully is nothing serious, i will give him till monday and then take him to the vet maybe by then it will look beter...

thanks for the input...

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS.

You have received some good advice from the other posters. I have had a few kittens with an umbilical hernia like that one and they haven't needed any treatment. It resolved itself after a couple of weeks. As others have said, keep a close eye on it and if it gets bigger or seems to be hurting the kitten, please see the vet.

For lots of information on how to look after this little kitten, please visit www.kitten-rescue.com .