Challenge: Vignetting

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all love that dark edged look, so here is how to create it:

1. With the lasso tool I make an loose selection along the edge of the photo including parts I'd like to darken.
2. choose quickmask and guassian blur that mask from 75-250 (depending on resoltuion.
3. exit quickmask and invert selection.
4. choose either a levels or hue/sat adjustment layer (note the selection becomes the mask) and move sliders. In levels I move the midtones to darken or lighten. In hue/sat I move the lightness slider.

You can also make any of the usual changes to the kitty to make it look better

and after

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In photoshop's tool menu (the one with brush eraser etc) right below where you choose your colours, quickmask is the one on the right and looks darker than the other one.

It is a rectangle with a white circle inside

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you have Elements, there is no "Quickmask"

A mask channel created in Quick Mask mode in Photoshop. Photoshop Elements has no Quick Mask mode and flattens all channels in Photoshop images.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

1. With the lasso tool I make an loose selection along the edge of the photo including parts I'd like to darken.
2. choose quickmask and guassian blur that mask from 75-250 (depending on resoltuion.
4. choose either a levels or hue/sat adjustment layer (note the selection becomes the mask) and move sliders. In levels I move the midtones to darken or lighten. In hue/sat I move the lightness slider.

and after

OMG I Love that, its looks Wonderful, thats it I have to learn this stuff

I've been saying that forever I cant get anything done as it is

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
argg i have the Elements, and im no good with the feathers i need step by step guide for the first time , then im ok doing things on me own lol

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

What do you mean by a loose selection?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just make a selection (as if you are cutting out the cat but bigger) go to select > feather (Alt+Ctrl+D)> inverse selection (Shift+Ctrl+I)

Then with the selection still selected, go to enhance > adjust lighting and turn down the brightness and contrast

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just made a selection, with the orb masking tool, to give it a rounded look. Then did everything exactly like Icklemiss instructions, except all I did was darken the masked area about 3 times and took away some of the contrast. I wanted the mask kind of close to simba to cut off a bit of the top of the ear, so I used the orb or oval masking tool to make it. I only wanted his face to stand out.

Here is simba.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i must admit i used my orton picture that i did then added the rest like you explained lol

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did a picture of Ginger.
And thank you, Eithne, I have always wondered about the quickmask thing.
I did have to adjust the brightness/contrast twice to get the dark effect that I wanted.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ignore quickmask too most of the time, I thought the practise with it would be useful, but as in my previous post for non photoshop people, it is easier to do it without quickmask and just select, feather and inverse the selection

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been stealing Nial's kittens again
It's a good job I don't live close enough to do it for real

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iuse the feathered lasoo tool to make a heart shape around Tinkerbelle, then inversed it and the followed the instructions set out by icklemiss21