I could use a hug

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my lifelong friends was diagnosed with cancer last summer. He underwent radical treatment (he's only the 21st person in the world to have this particular treatment), and thankfully went into remission.

This morning he was told by his team of doctors and surgeons that the cancer has spread throughout his body, even into his brain, and he will be lucky to see the summer.

I know, realistically, that all of our good thoughts and prayers won't save him, but it's worth a try. So, please muster all the good vibes you can for my friend Richard.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no!!! I am so very sorry to hear that.
I will be keeping he and his family, as well as you, in my thoughts and prayers!!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your dear friend! He seems like a strong presence in your life! I am sending immense vibes his way... I know this sounds extreme but doctors aren't always right... especially when it comes to the time frame you have left in your life! I hope they are incorrect (about not making it until summer) and hope he has more days to come! Very sorry! Cancer is a horrible and scarey disease!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just send a prayer winging his way. I hope it helps, or at least can provide him some comfort!

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

My uncle was diagnosed with Pancreatic (sp?) Cancer two days ago so I know how hard this is

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience/advice they can share with me? I'm seeing my friend this evening and I just don't know what to say to him. I'm literally at a loss for words and I have a continous tear in my eye that I don't want him to see.....

I've dealt with death from cancer many times in the past with family members, but I've never been in a position where the person has just been given such catastrophic news.

I'd appreciate any advice you care to share.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thought are with you and his family. I know how hard it is living through a cancer diagnosis and I can only imagine how hard it is to get that sort of news. My heart goes out to you. ****HUGE HUGS***

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

Does anyone have any experience/advice they can share with me? I'm seeing my friend this evening and I just don't know what to say to him. I'm literally at a loss for words and I have a continous tear in my eye that I don't want him to see.....

I've dealt with death from cancer many times in the past with family members, but I've never been in a position where the person has just been given such catastrophic news.

I'd appreciate any advice you care to share.
Don't be afraid to let him see your pain - that may allow him to open up with you. All you can do is be there for him and offer your support. That was all we could do for the 2 months my MIL was dying in the hospital - she passed on April 3rd this year. Encourage him to vent. Make sure he accesses any of the support services his doctors make available for him (counselling, etc).

Good luck

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend died of cancer some years ago, and we found it best to talk quite openly once he knew the prognosis. He was my daughter's godfather, and we had a laugh (in a way) with him telling me all the things he would have told her as she grew up and making me promise to do it for him! He became very realistic about it, right up to the week before he died. So I would not hide your feelings but take your cue from him.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For you and vibes for you friend, and just being there if they want to talk is sometimes the best anyone can do.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom

One of my lifelong friends was diagnosed with cancer last summer. He underwent radical treatment (he's only the 21st person in the world to have this particular treatment), and thankfully went into remission.

This morning he was told by his team of doctors and surgeons that the cancer has spread throughout his body, even into his brain, and he will be lucky to see the summer.

I know, realistically, that all of our good thoughts and prayers won't save him, but it's worth a try. So, please muster all the good vibes you can for my friend Richard.
I hope everything works out for your friend