I feel like SUCH a fool!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Umm what a dork'o I am!!
Alfie is NOT a boy!!
Goodness sakes-how did I not know!!? So guess what?? He/she now needs a new name!!

Any ideas????

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Now do you feel as though Taffy's affections toward Alfie are a little uncomfortable?

I guess his little boy bits never developed huh?

I'm sorry, but that's so funny.... I reckon just keep Alfie. Our RB kitty was named Bonnie because we thought he was a girl, and by the time we realised she was a he, we were used to the name, so he was a big tough boy kitty with a pretty, girly name...

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww...We did the same thing with my sister's cat....He had a pink folder then next time at the vet's he had a blue one
We were so mad
His/her name was Gabriella then he became Gabriel

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww that is cute lol! Alfie still works! hmm girl names I like? Roxy, Lolita, Lola, Nolita, Nollie, Isis, Lilu, Lulu, Hurley, Bast, etc! I'm sure I could go on forever, but I know you will come up with something great if u decide to do a name change!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alfie still works, or maybe Allie?
Before we actually got Stanley in our hands, the rescue group had him listed as "Stella"...much to our surprise when we actually saw him the name change was appropriate

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Umm what a dork'o I am!!
Alfie is NOT a boy!!
Goodness sakes-how did I not know!!? So guess what?? He/she now needs a new name!!

Any ideas????
I am happy that I wasn't the only one who did this
Remember, my boy Carmelo wasn't always a boy. When we first got him, he was a she named Carmella

norman's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest Allie, too. When we found Norman, he was a hissing scratching tiny little ball of feral fluff. We didn't spend too much time poking around down there. DH's roommate at the time looked while DH held him up and he said he "didn't see anything," so we assumed that this was a girl kitten. We named her Phoebe. When she was old enough for her early spay, we took her in, and we learned that Phoebe was a boy, and he was going to be getting a different procedure that day! It happens. He's Norman now. We think he was trying to tell us something in the interim, though. He was very interested in tools, he watched This Old House religiously, and he was fascinated by what I call the "back and forth" sports -- football, soccer, but not so much baseball or golf. I guess it was his way of saying, "Yoohoo, I'm a boy!"

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alfie is little and fluffy. It's an easy enough mistake to make.

We adopted Mojo when she was between 4-6 months old. They had her listed as a boy, hense the name Mojo. In fact, the night we put in our application for her, they took her over to Banfield's to check if she was a girl, and if she had been spayed. Before they took her, she rolled on her back (when there was still a question), I looked at her and said, "Oh that is definitely a GIRL!"
But I guess all of the shelter workers had gone by her behavior and assumed she was a boy without actually looking.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one more thing..

don't feel bad! when my aunt got her cat, Oliver when they moved here we thought he was a girl and we named him Ivory.
Then we found out he was a boy so my cousin named him Oliver from Oliver and Company.
He's gorgoeus. he's white and has blue eyes.
he has long hair. one time around Christmas time I spent the night with my aunt and cousin and I told Oliver "Pounce, Simba, Pounce" and he pounced on my chest.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alfie still works - short for Alfreda! Got to love gender bender cats!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Alfie is cute for a girlie - it could be short for Alfreda, or Alfarata, Alfonsa, Alfre.... but Alfie is listed as a unisex name.... so why not keep it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually Allie is what I was considering!!
So I am going to stick with that!!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alfie still works for a girl - I wouldn't change "her" name! I think that I told this story someplace else, but when I adopted Sophie, the shelter said she was a boy named Nathan. So I decided I would call Nathan, Winston instead. So the shelter calls to say that Nathan went to the vets as Nathan but came back as Natalie - I said, so okay, he was neutered - uh, no, he was spayed!
So Natalie became Sophie! Her real name is Nathan Winston Natalie Sophie-Marie!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Alfie still works - short for Alfreda! Got to love gender bender cats!
when i named Cable, i thought she was a boy
she's all dark right there, & i really couldn't see... she was such a squirmy girl! when i took her for her shots, i had them check, & they told me she was a girl. by then i had called her Cable for 3-4 days, & i didn't want to change it.
i still think her name is kinda masculine, tho...