That wheat litter....

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I bought a box of that wheat litter for Marcie to try and as soon as I put the box down, she had to investigate the cool new litter and inspect my cleaning job. She likes to dig, so I usually make her litter deep, but she REALLY likes to dig in this new litter. I have never seen anything like it...she will go in there and dig around and then come out with out doing anything....just to dig I guess. Even after having had the litter for 24hrs, she still just likes to dig around in it. After the first time that I put the box down, she actually started to root around in it like a pig. She came out of the box with litter stuck to her nose....I burst out laughing as she sneezed. You should have seen the embarassed look on her face.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the wheat litter and my girls hated it. Also, I am trying to re-introduce them to the cedarific because that is what my little Cosmo (one of Celestialrags kittens) is using. Well, Sophie will use it but Mollie will not use it to poop in. Mollie really seems to prefer the old clumping type of litter. Sigh...
lucky you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not at all impressed with the odor control of that wheat litter. After one day, the litterbox stinks

That is too bad because Marcie really seems to enjoy this litter.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, I was impressed with the odor control of the corn litter(s). It took awhile before my cats were willing to pee in it, but when they did I was so excited that I sniffed the clump
. It smelled like corn!! Not like pee! Unbelievable.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
really? I use Sweat Scoop and haven't noticed an odor. Reading this makes me wonder if there is even better odor control now...

What do you guys use that didn't like it?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Swheat Scoop & was not impressed with odor control, esp for the # of poopers I've got!
So, I mix Arm & Hammer High Performace with it. About 3/4 Swheat, 1/4 A&H HP. Everytime I scoop I add more A&H.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dunno, I've used Swheat Scoop and with my 3 girls, I don't notice any odor. And I used to use clay litter from the grocery store, so believe me, I know a bad smell when I smell it! lol. With World's Best Cat Litter (corn-based), that takes care of the odor too, but the litter itself has a sort of sweet smell (kind of like candy or popcorn or something) that makes me feel sick after a while. I'm not sure yet which of the two I prefer: the Swheat Scoop tends to really stick to the pan if I don't scoop within 24 hours, but it has little odor. The WBCL has that sick-sweet smell, but it's easy to scoop and clean it out. The cats themselves can't make up their minds which one they like best either; neither brand gets used less or more than the other.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I am not at all impressed with the odor control of that wheat litter. After one day, the litterbox stinks

That is too bad because Marcie really seems to enjoy this litter.
You could try mixing it with Nature's Miracle cat litter. It worked very well for me and the Nature's Miracle prevents the Swheat Scoop from sticking to the bottom.

I now use the Nature's Miracle by itself. (I kept gradually adding more Nature's M. to the litter and less Sweat Scoop) I prefer the Nature's M for odor control etc. plus it has a nice pine smell. But you might really enjoy the two mixed together.

In any case, no more clay litter in this house and so much easier to clean and much safer and healthier for the kitties.

Hope this helps

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

You could try mixing it with Nature's Miracle cat litter. It worked very well for me and the Nature's Miracle prevents the Swheat Scoop from sticking to the bottom.
Worlds Best also prevents Swheat Scoop from sticking to the bottom. I just pour a little World's best in first, then the Swheat Scoop on top.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Lily did the same thing!
She'd dig and dig like crazy in that stuff!

I didn't like it because my house smelled like a livestock show. You can't get all the pee (it doesn't clump that well), and even though I scoop often, after a few days I could smell the pee and the wheat. Yuck.

I posted a thread about this and Sharky suggested using chicken feed, or half wheat and half chicken feed. She said chicken feed clumps better and it's definitely LOTS cheaper! I haven't tried it yet, though.