My ReRe

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is, actually, a test. I wanted to be able to share pictures on this site, but wasn't sure how. I saw in another thread how to do it, so I am giving it a shot. This is my top Peterbald female, ReRe. I call her "runway model" because she has the longest legs I have ever seen. She just had a litter of babies that are going to be fantastic!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are her wonderful grandbabies. As you see, some are hairless and some are straight coats. The straight coats will have hair just like a regular shorthaired cat. We still get those due to outcrossing with the Oriental Shorthair.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And these are ReRe's new babies (less than 2 hours old)! It is so nice around here right now. I have three litters under 5 weeks old. It is a first for me to have so many at one time.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have taken the pictures out of the second post. I am trying to figure out a way to resize them. Someone wrote to me and told me to edit the size on photobucket. I did that, but they still show up huge. I even went down to "avator" size. I will keep trying and put the pictures in the second post back, when I figure it out - as well as re-size the pictures in the other two posts.

Sorry......

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is a Tortie. I bred her to a Chocolate. Her babies are absolutely beautiful.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very eye catching

What is the main difference between peterbalds and sphynxes? They look rather similar to me (big ears, slender, hairless)

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

She's very eye catching

What is the main difference between peterbalds and sphynxes? They look rather similar to me (big ears, slender, hairless)
The Sphnyx have smaller ears, and shorter (less Foriegn/Oriental) bodies. The genetic difference is huge. The Peterbald has a dominant gene for hairlessness and the Sphynx gene is recessive.

The Peterbald is more demanding, usually (of course, each cat is different). By and large, though, the Sphynx acts more like its Oriental ancestors.

I have had Sphynx before. The best way to describe it is that the Sphynx is the cute one and the Peterbald is the elegant one. That goes down to even the belly on the Sphynx (somewhat of a pot belly).

Another difference is the skin and hairlosing nature of each breed. The Peterbald is less oily and requires less bathing. Also, the Sphynx is more likely to gain hair as it gets older. The Peterbald is a hairlosing breed. Some are born hairless and some are born with hair and lose it. A Peterbald will not gain hair as it ages - just the opposite.

Hope that helps some.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine sent this drawing out recently. I think it really shows the difference between the 3 hairless breeds. The Peterbald is on your far left, the Don Hairless/Donskoy in the middle, and the Sphynx on your right. In this picture, the Sphynx ears look larger than the Peterbald, though. It is not exact. Also, the Peterbald has lower set ears than in this picture.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO those pictures really are not in proportion to the breeds - I've seen enough sphynx and none of them really look like the one you said is supposed to be the sphynx
Sphynx look closer to the devon rexes

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that the drawing doesn't fully represent the breeds - just gives a loose interpretation of them.

The Sphynx used to look more like the Devon than it does now, though. When the Devon stopped being used as an outcross, the look of the breed changed some.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ACFA still allows the devons and ASH as outcrosses. CFA only allows ASH or DSH in outcrosses. Not sure what TICA allows as outcross.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do post these under Fur Pictures when you get it all figured out. i know nothing about breeding but your babies are beautiful

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Please do post these under Fur Pictures when you get it all figured out. i know nothing about breeding but your babies are beautiful
Thanks Bonnie. The drawing came out the right size, so I am getting closer.
Where is the thread "Fur Pictures" located?

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

It's not a thread it's a subforum whose purpose is to have a place to post threads with cat photos, you can find it here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

You can see lots of photos from other people there as well
THANKS! I will go check it out. I think I will delete my pictures in photobucket and start over trying to resize them.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

ACFA still allows the devons and ASH as outcrosses. CFA only allows ASH or DSH in outcrosses. Not sure what TICA allows as outcross.
I didn't realize that ACFA still allows that. Personally, I liked the look of the Sphynx MUCH better when the Devon was used. For TICA, I believe it is only the ASH or DSH, as well.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I show my cats in ACFA and CFA - looked it up
You show a Sphynx (with Devon outcross) in CFA? If so, I think that is great. My personal opinion is that the look of the breed was much better with the Devon outcross. Do you know Carol and Walt Richards?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat

You show a Sphynx (with Devon outcross) in CFA? If so, I think that is great. My personal opinion is that the look of the breed was much better with the Devon outcross. Do you know Carol and Walt Richards?
No, I don't think GK ever showed a Sphynx - I believe she meant her Cornies and Oci.